London Marathonm

Today I got rejected again for the London Mathon 2013 ballot, it's the 5th time i've been rejected now. However this time my brother applied for the very first time as he fancied joining me on it and he got in straight away. How the hell do they do the ballot, I must be the unluckiest person ever!

Is there any way I could still get a place in the ballot? I know they use to do the apply 5 times and you get an automatic place, does this still apply? I would apply for a charity place but there is no way I would raise £2000.

Thanks if you can help me!

Comments

• If you bequeathed, there is a second round where 1000 places are up for grabs.

If not, suck it up and congratulate your brother. Its a bit like complaining you didn't win the lottery this week!

• Ah ok, when are those 1000 places up for grabs?
  • Same here no place again, gutted! Been training in hope but just found out no place! If anyone knows how I might get in or knows of a place please let me know?
  • Don't waste your training. There are plenty of decent spring marathons to do.
  • Been training for an event 6 months in the future that you haven't got an entry for ?
  • Any recommend any other Marathons? Gutted I didn't get into London but really got the bug to do one.

• I'M IN I'M IN I'M IN image the second time ive applied and today i got the letter saying im in. Not too sure you can get a decent time with all the runners but im just gonna enjoy the race itself and soak up the atmosphere. Banksey, my mates did the Edinburgh marathon a couple of years ago and said it was a fantastic event and supposed to be the quickest course in the Uk. A virgin train gets you there in no time apparently. I think its 2 hours from Wigan,not sure where you'll be leaving from

• Milton Keynes possibly? I ran the inaugural race this year (April 2012) - although the weather was terrible it was a well organised & supported event with the flat course providing plenty of PB potential on the right day - might be worth considering? 

• boothy 4 - I'm in as well (although through running a GFA qualifying time rather than the lottery of the ballot!)

• Yeh considered Edinburgh but checked the date and I don't think I can make that weekend unfortunately. I'm from the Derby area by the way but am willing to travel.

• Congratulations by the way to you Boothy and Dave!

• Ok Dave will look into Milton Keynes, thanks.

• Ah ok, when are those 1000 places up for grabs?
  • Stratford on Avon is in April supposed to be a decent one.
  • Hamburg is about same time,
  • You could always do a championship time at a half or full marathon in the next few weeks.  That would guarantee a place.

• I personally found Edinburgh to be a horrible marathon. The only one I've done I wouldn't recommend. The organisation at Edinburgh is beyond appalling.

I'd fully recommend Paris for a spring marathon. Fantastic event.

• I did Edinburgh in 2009 and it was a great event.  Think things may have changed since though.  Did MK this year and for an inaugural event it was very good.  Should be a popular choice for some of us rejectees.  I didn't get in either to VLM but as I don't want to run the same marathon again even if it is local to me I'll have to fins another.  Neighbour is talking about Paris so may take a look at that.

• I'm in as we'll after my 4th attempt!! And doing Silverstone half in march! Stratford marathon is supposed to be good and I was very tempted by Milton Keynes if I failed again!
  • I bequeathed my entry fee, just for the extra slither of a chance.  Should I assume that's why I haven't heard anything either way when other people have?

And if so, I guess my odds have just gone from poor to very poor, depending on how many other people bequeathed?

• I have never done that and it took 4 attempts - I really think its just luck but its so disappointing. I had decided if I didn't get a place this time I was still going to take part by going and cheering everyone on! What about Stratford?
  • my 4th reject nd believe everyone sould get one reject letter before getting in and they should only ever be allowed get a ballot place once. if want do it again then do for charity to give others a chance. Iv read someone who did it twice through ballot last year which so unfair but iv got vlm blues at the min.

• Lisa there are about 125,000 people in the ballot for approx 25,000 places (max) there is no way they can just let people in on the second attempt. The race would have about 100,000 people in every year and that's just not practical.
  • I got in on my first attempt, I must be pretty lucky! It's going to be my first marathon so I'm looking forwards to it!

• lisa if people really want to do it they can train and get a guaranteed GFA place........

life has luck somedays.....

you don't say that anyone who has had a job for 109 years must give it up for those on the dole  as they have already been lucky to get a job and now they can have their turn on the dole..........

its just a marathon

• But Millsy, the point is that if people who had got a ballot place weren't allowed another, then there wouldn't be 125,000 people with valid ballot applications.

Lisa's suggestion that everyone should get one rejection doesn't seem quite right - it means first timers would have to apply knowing they would be rejected, so they could have a valid chance in a year's time which is a bit odd.

But I agree with her point.  As it stands, someone who has got a ballot place and run every year for the last five years has the same chance as someone who has applied for five years but has never got a place.  It keeps things simple and it's transparent, but it could be fairer.

I appreciate they can't guarantee a place after "x" tries, like they used to, but they could improve your odds based on how many failed tries you had, or reduce your chances if you had previously been successful.  Not saying no-one should get to run twice, but more serious runners can either try for GFA or join a club?  You do have to appreciate some people will never be able to get GFA - depends if you want to restrict entry to fast runners and (very) charitable people, or allow other people a crack.

• I got a reject magazine but I'm doing the Brighton marathon ( I entered it before I ran the London marathon this year ) I did London for charity last year and thankfully it was a smaller charity and only had to raise £1500 and did most of it online but its still hard work

I've heard there is a Milton Keynes Marathon

There is also Shakespeare Marathon ( Stratford upon Avon ) but beware as it got cancelled this year due to the bad weather conditions and they didnt tell people til they had lined up on the start line and even then only people at the front heard and people at the back didnt actually know  until they had got half way round that they had cancelled it and just reduced it to half a marathon, it was the right call as the weather conditions were awful ( and there was major flooding on a disused railway track ) but if you have trained for a marathon and its cancelled it was gutting, and the organisation turned into abit of a fiasco!!!!

• Liverbird never heard of the 2nd chance bequeathing places before is that a new thing

Banksey88 when flora sponsored it they did the 5 rejects and your in next time but virgin dont do that

I've no idea really how they decide whether it is really just names in a hat and the pull them out sort of thing