Saturday 29th September 2012

Morning.

Lyrics - Work it. Make it. Do it.

Good running Pammie - you're getting stronger all the time.

Anyone racing this weekend?

What:             LSR
Why:              last one before Abingdon
Last hard:       don't expect this to be easy
Last rest:        27/9

Have a good weekend all.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Sorry to hear your news AF

What: travelling to Inverness

Why: Loch Ness marathon tomorrow

Last hard: 22nd

Last rest: yesterday

Lyrics: no

Just on boat waiting to depart. Bit windy through the night although Stromness harbour looks calm enough. We'll know as soon as we round St Johns head. Just had the "may be a bit rough" warning.

There's a few other folk on the boat heading for Loch Ness marathon too.

Should get a good tail wind tomorrow!
  • morning all, 
    AF - gutted to hear your news, very best wishes to you and the family and this sad time. 
    OH - good luck tomorrow, looking forawrd to the report!

Like LmH doing a long run today in between eldest's hockey fixture and youngest's events at the club swimming champs...I'm not overly looking forward to it but as always will be better when i get going. Also, in a strange change on the week, a bright orange thing is in the sky today... 
    why - spying a couple of late year marathons and need a target race..
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - hmmm

lyric - possibly

good weekend all

• Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Bad' by U2

AF: Really sorry to hear your news regarding your step daughter.

OH: All the best for tomorrow.

I found out at 1:30pm ish yesterday that I've got a 6 month contract and start in my 'old office' on Monday morning. I'll be working for an agency and 2 colleagues also got similar extensions.

Thing was I took in a big box of chocs and we'd a leaving lunch yesterday for a few of us !

• oops sorry Pammie, missed you out...
    Well done, great last km!! 

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

AF: desperately sad news. Thoughts are with you and your wife.

Birkmyre: Is the likelihood that you'll keep on getting short contract renewals.

Lyrics: Googled but still none the wiser?

Dustin/LMH: I also find I need a bit of self motivation to get and run long runs on my own. When I'm, fit I can cope with the "stress" of up to15M, but beyond that I'm normally a bit edgy for a couple of days previous. I've got quite a pleasant 21M that I've done a few times in the past, the problem being the dead straight down the road from miles16 to 19. I'd rather run 4 laps of my town 5M loop than that.

For myself: Up in NW6 this weekend. Yesterday was 6M round Queens Park, today was 8M steady round Willesden Park, tomorrow its Regents Park and Monday it's Wormwood Scrubs. It's ironic that living in the country (The Fens) I never get the chance to run much on softer surfaces....land is too valuable to be wasted on recreation!!
  • Only in the civil service birkmyre.

Wish I were there OH.

Hope you had a good run Dustin.

Tom - no matter how many weeks on the trot I run a 20 I never take the ability to do so for granted.

A better run than expected - 22 miles at a pace that suggests that MP may be slightly faster than it was in April given everything being right on the day.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Great race Pammie image

What: 45 min walk up the hill of doom.  Found some wild boar and deer with massive antlers at the top image
    Why: Giving my leg a rest.

Managed to get the 1st of our curtain poles up today, we are feeling rather smug though we're not putting the next one up until this one has been tested in case it falls down!  We are very much DIY newbies!

OH hope today went well, looking forwards to race report.

have a good one all.

• Emzap: it's still to go. It's tomorrow
  • AF: very sad to read, but I salute your looking forwards. Don't know I could handle news like that.

Lyrics: yes.

Good LSRs those that did them: LMH, Dustin.

Best of luck for tomorrow Other Half.

Very well raced yesterday Pammie.

First ever fell race today. Not a big one by fell racing standards (1400ft, 4.3m) but new to me. I'm no good at fast descent, too much fear factor. 3rd home for club but was 1st club at the peak, they just flew by on the descent as if it was nothing, I wasn't tired, I just had no technique.

Was just using it to warm for Preston Guild 10k tomorrow, might have taken it out of me but I'm not too fussed.

• Evening

OH Good luck
    LMH Good long run How do you feel
    emzap hill of doom not something to run up then

Thanks all for the well dones

What: 4.48 miles
    Why: easy run
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Lyris No

• 7D well done best of luck tomorrow

Will you do another fell race

• Pammie* wrote (see)

7D well done best of luck tomorrow

Will you do another fell race

I think with this club I've got little choice! This was the last of the club fell race champ events until next May so I've a bit of time to get some decent shoes and learn my technique. XC now.

• I think switch off brain and pray to the deity/higher being/protective factor of your choice 7d!

Pammie - a little tired (unsurprisingly) but legs are good thanks.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done on Fell Race 7D

Parkrun for me today and 18:55 at basingstoke, but only registered it at 3.03m.... on the garmin, either the trees or satalites are out.... (or as prom previous experience its short.... but came in 10th out of 230+ so happy there, plus 5.5m of easy runing

Take care

• Evening

Tom: No They are closing alot of offices and we've simlpy been kept on till this aspect of job is over and taht will be no later than 31 March 13. . 

LMH: Indeed only in Civil Service.

7D:Well done.

Pammie: A belated well done.

• Evening All

Firstly AF i'm so sorry to hear your news and my thoughts are with you, family and friends at this time

So i'm sitting here on the night before race day and excited like a little kid on christmas eve!

Hoping to smash the 1:35 barrier so will keep you posted! Previous pb is 1:39:16 but that was way back in 2009. Fingers crossed this is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. 

Thanks for all the advice which has got me this far and will give me strength in the darker times of the race image 

• Oh and before I forget LMH here is the link for the Craig Alexander documentry I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5-ZaLmvDw4

Truly inspirational.

• I'm looking forward to seeing what LMH can produce at Abingdon.

Tom, I wonder if your concerns about doing the 20's is more about the time management and expectations than the distance? I'd rather churn out a 21 miler round the periphery of our town (sorry, city) than do a 3x7mile loop round the same old hamster wheel. But there are times in marafun training when I feel that the hamster wheel has got to be used. Pace judgement is one reason. Running on pavements with illumination is another. Otherwise I'd MUCH rather get out into the countryside.

7D, fell running is not for the faint hearted. Hats off to you.

OH, good luck. Take what comes in the race, everyone will get the same weather.

Emz, were the "wild" boars really out there in the wild, or were they in some farm paddock? If truly wild, whereabouts in the country was it?

Training. For me today was the bike. A group 2 ride, 8 of us, which a nice number. 57 miles through the Forest of Dean. Certainly I was the strongest in the pack, but garmin estimated a 3700 calorie burn that didn't take into account the hills. I spent a lot of time on the front, which is as it should be, but on the leg home I held back to aid the slowest guy. He kept dropping off when we hit a rise, so it was worthwhile giving him a tow. I didn't realise how much it had taken out of me until I fell asleep in the bath afterwards. All in all a really pleasant outing.

• All the best onepaceracer.

• XPost
    OPR, good luck, I hope that it goes to plan.

I'm looking forward to some good race reports tomorrow evening.
    No excuses.

• Evening!

As Blisters says, there should be some interesting race reports tomorrow. However, Blisters,not sure there are wild boar in GB. Try Germany!

Wabo: saw your result! Bet you're pleased! (Look away now if you don't want to know the score!): well done Spurs!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I've just entered Milton Keynes Marathon next year

• Alehouse, I've got news for you. There certainly are lots of them in Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), and in Bracknell Forest.

• Thanks for all your thoughts.  I kept them with me during a two mile jog off-road.  Sometimes running is about more than running.