'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Yes, aren't they? Nemo and Oz both had huge ears as pups, in fact John used to call Ozzy "alien dog" when he was growing up.

• BIW - lovely picture. Rescuing a beer bottle top - bit of a worry, as bad as a toddler, which I suppose is more or less what Charley is in dog terms.

Red - I didn't take any photos, but bought a booklet with lots of illustrations of the windows. Interesting about the ones designed by Chagall - and I see you posted that particular post on my birthday! - Shall go and see them if I'm in that area. 

Hasn't rained here today, in fact has been rather nice, - mild, breezy, intermittent sunshine. Went for a tempo run: to the lake, 3 times round (that was the tempo bit, just over 2 miles) and back home. Kept the tempo bit close to 11 1/2 minute miling.

• Morning all,

Didn't get rained on  yesterday.  4.5 miles for me today which will include a trip to the Post Office.  See how we laydees multi-task? image

JJ, it's your long legs that get you noticed my dear image

Columba, many happy returns for 2009!  You could pop in for coffee at JJs if you visit Tudeley.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• Got soaked.  It was fine until I left then shop and then it poured down for the last 15 minutes.  Humph!

• It remained dry for last night's club session. We did 4 x 0.45 miles, with 2 minutes jog recovery between each. I messed up the timing for the first, but the next 3 were 3.00, 3.08 and 3.05. The 3.00 was 6.36 pace, and although that was only for 3 minutes, it shows that there is still some speed in the old legsimage A rest day today, but planning an LSD run in the forest tomorrow.

Columba, well done on the tempo run. These are the sort of sessions that help increase our steady pace.

Red, enjoy your run to the Post Officeimage

• Red, our posts crossed. Sorry that you got another soaking!

• Red - Drop in for coffee at JJ's - exactly what I was thinking myself! - And view his splendid house and garden. And his bat plant.

At least your soaking was only for the last 15 minutes, then home and into the dry.

Also for Red: - An event including "wild knitting" is being advertised locally; - does that phrase mean something in particular?

TE - 6.36 pace over 3 minutes - that's impressive.

• "wild knitting" ???  The mind boggles!

JJ - well,  Spock's ears made him very popular.

• Columba, thanks. It would be good if I could keep it up for the full half marathon distance, but those days are well gone!

BIW, Mr Spock also sprung to my mind.

• B I. you've got one fine looking pooch.

No rain today, but a lovely autumn evening, 3 miles just manage to get it in before it got dark.

• Thank you, I think he's going to be a winner.

• JJ, yes, it was a very effective session and we soon recovered. It was on road and out and back. It was slightly downhill outwards, with the return uphill. I was lucky that I was chased hard  by one of the ladies from the fast group. She was right on my shoulder on each of the efforts and I was determined that she wouldn't overtake. This is one of the main advantages of belonging to a club, as if I had done that session alone, I wouldn't have been pushed to such a fast pace.

A lovely sunny day today and it would have been ideal for a forest run. I did, however, decide to do a road run, and did a tempo 10 miles on a very hilly route. My average pace was slower than Sunday's, but the route was much tougher. I aimed for an average of 9 minute miling, and achieved 8.57. My splits were :- 9.59 8.49 8.29 8.40 9.31 9.11 8.34 9.10 8.35 8.22. I am now setting a target of sub 1.50 for the Solent Half, which is 2 weeks from tomorrow. It is organised by the Club, so I should have the benefit of Marshalls cheering me on. There is also a good turn out of spectators which also helps when the going gets tough. The last time I did this race was in 2004, and I remember a long drag uphill to the finish. I am going to have to judge my pace carefully, as I don't want to blow up in the final stages.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• Afternoon peeps,

Just a 3.5 mile xc run for me first thing and then outside all day doing heavy gardening work.  Now completely cream-crackered so we're off to get a curry soon image  Will be attempting a longish run tomorrow.  Paws crossed I'll be OK as Beachy Head is getting closer.

Columba, could it be part of Wool week which is 7th-14th October?  My guess would be knitting outside but you never can tell.........

• Red - it's outside (in a covered area) but not part of Wool Week, it's on 6th. It's part of a "celebrating local" thing, includes "apple juicing, Freecycle, food stories, wild knitting, music, plants, produce, crafts".

Better go along and see, I suppose.

Ran 8 and a quarter miles early this afternoon. Circular route from home, includes a stretch along a rather busy road (though not a main road) without footpath, which I don't like as traffic comes round bends rather fast, but I do like the fact that it's circular; out-and-back routes have a rather aimless feel to them. Undulating to hilly. 

JJ - can't see how a scarf is going to protect me from the bat plant...

• There's an "Autumn Fest" today in our village, I shall investigate.

• JJ - of course they do, I'd forgotten.

Maybe some garlic would help?

• Anyone know anything about butterflies? Yesterday, there were dozens which were black with a broad red band near the back. They were clinging onto the windows and front door. They have all gone today. I wish I had taken some photo's which I could have put on here.

• The theme of the fest was the middle ages, all the stallholders were dressed in period costumes and there was straw all over the floor - mostly food and drink on offer but some pretty jewelery too. I didn't buy any but I did get a kilo of Dornfelder grapes - they are a very deep purple colour and make my favourite wine.

John and I went swimming this morning, I did 1600m crawl and John swam 2000m, enough for a Sunday! Tuesday evening winter swim training begins, hopefully Kathrin will go really easy on us for the first session. I am still not allowed to swim breaststroke but that's no hardship as I don't like it anyway.

• 7 miles done today in perfect conditions and the old knee came through okay. I'm beginning to feel good about my fitness again and there are signs especially on the weighing scales that the weight is coming off.   image

• Evening all,

10 miles this morning and felt reasonably OK although slow on the hills.  Lots of gardening this afternoon.

TE, Red Admiral?  If not they were probably foreign visitors.  Can't think of any other natives but will consult my book to check,

• Red, I thought they might have been Red Admirals, but know nothing about butterflies at all. They struck me as being very bright, in fact I don't recall seeing anything like them before.

It seems I am the only one not running or swimming today, and the weather has been fine. Always seems the way!

• My first thought was Red Admirals too, but it sounded from the description that the  ones TE saw had too much black - red admirals are primarily red with some black markings.

• JJ It won't be much longer before you have a new grandchild. Congratulations
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

We have rain, which is good as I want some to settle in the plants I planted yesterday image

TE, I've scoured my flutterby book and there aren't any other natives that fit your description.  You didn't mention any spots but if it had spots and stripes of red then there a couple day-flying moths such as the Cinnabar moth (never seen one but would love to!) or the 5-spot Burnet (one of my favourites and often seen on thistles).

JJ, hope baby arrives soon.

Hi Jim!

• Where have you been all this time, Jim? Good to hear from you.

• Thanks all for your buttefly/moth inputs. I have googled British butterflies and moths and there was nothing like the ones I saw. I have come to the conclusion that they must have been foreign visitors. There was a recent programme on TV which had a feature on butterflies and moths, and I think it was Chris Packham who explained the way to differentiate between them. I believe it was to do with the shape of the wings. I only brought up the subject as they were so attractive, and brighter than any other specimens that I had seen previously.

Ran a steady 6 miles this morning in heavy rain, and when I got home, it stopped. It has been bright and sunny all afternoon.image