Dark Morning Runs

Hi all,

So now that the Autumn is really in I'm finding it difficult to get out for my morning runs. I had taken to running on the footpaths on the main roads as opposed to the greenway where I run on bright summer mornings. I alway find running in the mornings suits me- i run better and i get a better start to the day. Also, if I come in after a day of work and sit down there will be no getting me out the door to run. I like to get out for at least an hour in the mornings. I live near Canning Town and I'm just not sure how safe it is to run at 5.30 or 6am in the dark. I would be on the main road so maybe I am just being paranoid. Anybody else having this problem? All suggestions welcome image

Comments

• Boogie monsters get back to bed an hour before sunrise, so you'll be fine for a few weeks yet.

• Come in from work and don't sit down. Serioulsy, if you just get straight into your gear and out the door it is so much easier than after you have settled down in front of the fire.
  • i'd agree with Intermanaut, early mornings, esp cold early mornings are pretty safe times to run, if you want to avoid hoodlums and such. They're all tucked up in the land of nod, dreaming of twoccing your car. So long as you don't stray into the path of a milkfloat or a delivery lorry you shoudl be fine

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Come in from work and don't sit down. Serioulsy, if you just get straight into your gear and out the door it is so much easier than after you have settled down in front of the fire.

Definitely agree with that.

I wouldnt worry too much about running safety at 5.30/6am. I find that early mornings are pretty safe (i used to run in central london). I was actually more scared at 8/9pm as the 'yoofs' are out and tend to be more annoying.

Make sure that you wear hi-viz clothing and maybe a headtorch so you can see where you're going?

• Yup agree with Intermanaut. I always tell myself that surely all psychopaths are still fast asleep...