Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon

Two weeks to go until I glide majestically through the streets of our glittering capital with nary a bead of sweat upon my brow, breezing past runners half my age as I effortlessly break the tape in a Half Marathon world record time.

Well that was the plan. Sadly the amount of pies and chocolate I've been eating whilst watching the Olympics (I was inspired) have scuppered my dreams. But I'm still in. Who else is getting excited/fearful?

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Johnny, I'll be on the start line as well! Apart from the pies - how has your training gone?
  • A severe case of lazyitus has meant I haven't kept up with my training schedule. Pre-summer I knocked 2 mins off my Half marathon PB, post summer (2 weeks ago) I ran slowest Half marathon for two years. I'm hoping flatness of the course will inspire my legs to great things.

How about you Emmy?

Do we know if there are pacers? If not would anyone else be willing to run at 2hr pace while carrying a large yellow balloon?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Johnny, I've been using half marathons as my speed work for marathons. I've heard a lot of good things about the Royal parks half marathon so I'm looking forward to it. A friend that I was due to be running with has pulled out due to injury (Achilles tendinitis) so hopefully they'll be on route supporting!

Training has been going kind of well. Did a marathon in September but I've been I'll this past week so I feel a little drained and hoping it'll clear up before this weekend.

I don't know about pacers? Theres nothing on the website. The royal parks team have been very helpful when I've asked them questions about picking up my race pack so it might be worth contacting them.

I'll be using this race as a LSR so 2.15-2.25 would be great. If anyone wants to meet up on the day - let me know image
  • I'm in - can't wait - was training for Bracknell HM last year when I was diagnosed with breast cancer so this is unfinished business. Hoping for a good time now that there's a bit less of me image
  • Wow, best of luck to you Katrina. What time are you hoping for?

Thanks Emmy, I'll ask them about the pacers and see what they say. Although having said that in any race I've run that does have pacers I've always deliberately moved ahead of them as they create a bit of a log jam.

What mara did you do?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Katrina - well done for getting back out there and finishing off something unfinished!

Hi Johnny - I did marathon du medoc in France. Great race but not really a race... as we stopped off every 2k for wine image

• Wo, don't think I'd be able to manage that - and how on earth did you train? did you replace lucozade Sport with a bottle of wine?
  • I'm in for this. I'm really looking forward to it as I've been wanting to run around the Royal Parks for a while now. I'm not looking forward to the early start so much though...  I'll be catching the 6.19 image train up from Brighton to make sure I get there in plenty of time (factoring in for train delays!).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Johnny - surprisingly; i didnt train with wine or anything like that... I just sipped at the glasses they gave instead of downing the glassimage

@Anne - welcome to the thread! How has your training been going?

Less than 7 days to go and i'm really looking forward to it! Is anyone else picking up their race pack from Hyde Park?

• Training has been going fine thenks, Emma.

I ran the Great North Run on 16th September so I've just been keeping my legs ticking over since then. Although I didn't go out for yesterday's long run (6miles) due to a dodgy stomach so am now a day behind.

I've bought my running gear into work today with the aim of either running home or hopping on a treaddie at the gym if the weather is too horrid.image

• sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Just saying Hi as I am in this as well and it's my first half marathon.

Getting a bit nervous now as the largest field I've run with is 250 so 10,000+ will be quite different. I've done the training though and have my target time, so hopefully everything will go to plan.

• FYI contacted RPF HM on Facebook and asked about pacers and there will be some for these times:

1hr 30mins

1hr 40mins

1hr 50mins

2hrs

2hrs 10mins

Hope the weather cheers up.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Johnny - i'll be sticking with the 2hr 10 oneimage

Hi Sleaver - don't worry about the size of the field. For me, this means more people to talk to en route!

• Looking forward to doing this one.

I ran the Great Scottish HM a month ago in 2:23 so I may break the 2:20, who knows?

Good uck to everyone with:

1 Getting there - Anne - that's an early start!,

2 The run - hope you enjoy it....image

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Oh but I was wanting 1:45 I'll just have to do my own pacing!!! Actually really looking forward to this now I've totally overtrained as I have an ultra coming up so hope my legs will play on the day!!!
  • What's best tube station for start? Knightsbridge?
  • Hyde Park Corner works too........

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm planning to run there as a warm up but I think Green Park would work as well?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It's good to know that my london knowledge isnt completely defunkt! I'm trying to work out where to pick up the race packs from on saturday and other logistics.

What will everyone be wearing in case we spot each other on the route?

I'll be in a Marathon talk vest with black capri's

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone less than a week to go! I did 9 miles yesterday and it felt quite comfortable so am starting to believe that I will actually make it round in one piece without being struck down by illness, injury or any other disasters. Will be trying to hold onto the hem of the 2.10 pacer I think but that's good enough for me.

Did the British 10k back in July and it was sooo cool running through the middle of London on closed roads waving at the crowds!!

Extra excited as I have also managed to get a place in VLM through the ballot imageimage

Emmy don't know what I'll be wearing yet but aiming to wear my race tshirt (along with thousands of others) and if I have the nerve will have my cancer survivor badge on my cap.

(I will be wearing other stuff too just don't know what yet lol)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Katrina - well done on the run! Wear your cancer survivor badge with pride image I'll be there with the 2.10 pacer as well. Well done on the VLM ballot place. I missed out this year- so am doing paris instead!

• I'll be in my footy shirt.  It's blue on the back with "Andy" and a large number 13.......image

• I did Maidenhead Half a couple of weeks back. Not really done much milage since so bit worried I may burn out but I'm going to go for it.

Getting really excited.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've received the "final day preparation" email and was suprised how detailed they were. I especially like "water etiquette". It's a great piece of advice and I wish it was used more at races!

I've just seen the weather for the weekend and wondering if my vest is a tad optimistic!

• Hi everyone,

This is my first 1/2 marathon and the nerves are really starting to kick in. What's the best thing to eat the morning of the race?

Thanks!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Kathryn,

What have you been eating during your training? That's the best indicator. Don't try anything new on race day. For me, i'll have porridge with soya milk and a banana 30 mins before the start.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Toast with peanut butter for me!!!
  • Normally just toast so think I'll stick to that!