Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• hi sandy

I think at 5:30 am it is pretty safe. I don't know the area where you live, but on main roads you should be fine, and the only people around tend to be milkmen and people going to work, there aren't many drunken idiots around at that time in the morning. You could always make sure you have a phone and an attack alarm if you feel unsafe, and make sure you know what route you are running and where there might be newsagents etc around in case you ever feel threatened and need somewhere to go to in a situation

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Agree with Mathschick. I feel safer running at 5am than 9pm but just make sure that you're being safe

• Sandy, although clearly I'm a bloke, I agree with the others in that you will be much safer in the morning.  A good tip is to vary your routes so that you don't become predicatable just in case, but to be honest most thugs and freaks are tucked up in bed in the mornings and only at large in the evenings when the pubs are open!

Welcome to Matt.  SOC running is the way ahead. 

• morning.....

off on my bike soon!  Torch required...

• Good morning allimage

10 miles this morning warm and dry

Nw 1 mouse that ran across the path in front of me.

Off work this week so yesterday normally a rest day I went for a 5 mile NOC run. Went out the door in to the pouring rain thinking about everyone else working with a big grin on my face. Thursdays Mrs V's birthday so after morning run off to Tate Britain for a pre-raphaelite exhibition then a meal out.

Sandy, Welcome I agree with all the above advice and would add when I have encountered  inebriated people on their way home from house parties and clubs I have received applause and shouts of fair play mate. only on two occasions have I had idiots try to run with me which never lasts more than a few seconds and on paths with no lighting I think those I have come across are more shocked or scarred at the sight of a figure seemingly at speed (ambling slowly) coming out of the darkness towards them .

Kate ,On Saturday I did very well and restrained myself to just 4 pints of ale and had a pint of water between everyone.After all one must stay hydratedimage

Hi and waves to all

• Morning all - I am only popping in briefly as I have the lurgy and don't want to infect anyone else, crawled into bed yesterday afternoon and was banned from an SOC by Mr F on the basis I haven't eaten for 24 hours. Which is unheard of. Welcome along to the new people, and enjoy the week off valis. Emmy, you can add the bikes to your NC (ninja cyclist) count.

• morning all

back at work, no soc but am planning on going to running club tonight. Their plan says 60sec efforts, so should be a good session. Wonder how many of the efforts we will do.

Kate - hope you get better soon. My lurgy really knocked me out for the weekend which was a pain.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@KateF - get well soon! I'll definitely be adding NC to the count.

I aimed to go out this morning but ended up hitting the snooze. It was a good thing as it turned out as it was pelting with rain. Hoping to head out tonight at LOC (late o'clock)

• 530am530am ✭✭✭

Kate after your tri defeat this has all the hallmarks that you may have been nobbled beforehand. What did he do?  spike the wine? extra additives in the dinner?

You need to nip this in the bud. It's no way to "run" a successful marriage.

.......Well done Mr F..........

Oh get well soon........

• Morning..

Out at SOC this morning for a few x/country miles. Had the place to myself apart from a couple of border collies and their owner and some distant squaddies. Thankfully my sore back seems to be on the mend thanks to loads of stretching last night and another session this morning. 

Kate - I reckon you must have caught the lurgey from mathschick. She carried on posting here when she was ill and has probably infected all of us!

• oh that is odd, I had typed something!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maybe it's Kate F's sickness infecting the thread? From what i've heard - most people are catching a bug at the moment so maybe RW is next?

• Good afternoon all, treadmill 5 last night watching series 3 of The Wire, day off work today so got up for a casual 8.00am start for an 11 miler, NW pretty scarce this morning at that time apart from a few pheasants and a frog that I almost stood on. No Kingsmill vans for me but an Apache helicoptor I'm sure tracking me!.  Back to SOC for the rest of the week.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Come back Kate F image It's better for us to get it and let it be over with!

• JF - I love The Wire

well, decided not to go to running club, got home a bit shattered and still a bit snotty, don't want the full blown cold to come back. So, an early night and up for a nice long soc tomorrow. We have just got series 4 of Breaking Bad on dvd so will watch that instead of running club tonightimage

• Emmy, if you want this bug I will happily give it to you! Went to track last night but had to bail out with stomach cramps, so ran 5 miles then walked 2 home feeling miserable, back to bed at 8.30pm and decided not to go out this morning. Maybe an NOC. I saw lots of frogs on my walk last night too JF, maybe it's the latest plague after the zombies earlier this year. Happy hump day.

• Moring Kate

Never managed on yesterday. Net playing up then busy with younger sons 17th Birthday.

NW: 1 owl, 1 KingsmillVan,  3BMWs (Ran past BMW corner), 1 cyclist, 1 cat, 1 fox.

• Sandy: Welcome to our madhouse.

• Morningimage

6 miles run in the drizzly rain

NW 0, OR 4, 1 ninja cyclist

• resting here... well more like recovering as I fell off my bike yesterday - slipped over on a tight corner which I suspect had some diesel on it.  Anyway, went down like a sack of spuds and banged my left elbow heavily and road rashed my arm and left leg where I slid a bit!  Ouch.  These things happen I suppose.... the bike is fine and I wasn't run over - those are the main things! image

My goodness did it rain last night..... woke me at 3:30 and again an hour later as it was torrential against the side of the house.....very glad to have been in bed.

Morning folks.  Happy birthday to Master Birky. image

• morning

PSC - hope you are not too sore after the bike accident

Kate - you are probably better off having a couple of days rest

happy birthday to young birky

I managed 5 miles, very cold wind. Think I am not fully recovered from my lurgy as heart rate  higher than it normally is for the plod that I was doing.

happy hump day

• Me! Just started, I wake up at 5:30 in the morning and leave at about 6:15 am. It's the best time of day to do it I think. I still have time to get ready for school as well, so it works out better in all ways. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

((Kate)) Get well soon!

• 530am530am ✭✭✭

Evening L&G

Ouch PSC, at your pace that would have hurt.

10.5miles today. Tried out some shot bloks recommended by an esteemed triathlete. Nothing really improves my pace but they did taste good.

There have been several  flagrant breaches of my username  copyright recently. I'm considering instigating some penalties....

1st time offender.....10 press ups at the end of each mile

2nd  time........Run with a 5kg weight in a rucksack

3rd time......Hmmmmm it could be very nasty...

Have a good evening folks and enjoy your 5.31am SOCs.........

• Evening all - thanks for the good wishes, back out tonight, 6.5 miles very slow but not walking so an improvement. Managed a client lunch today as well so definitely on the mend. PSC, bicycling is dangerous, which is why you should go nice and slow, bad for training, good for staying upright. 5.30, if you want some advice on nutrition ask the pros here, I think shot bloks may even slow you down as they're so chewy, second only to malt loaf which gives miles of distraction as you pick it out of your teeth. MC, hope you're back on form tomorrow. Craigerrs, welcome along, but don't forget, 5.29am or 5.31am or you'll have copyright infringements issues. Happy birthday master birky. TG, are you into an IM training programme yet, you seem to be out there consistently at the moment. Have a good evening all, and fingers crossed an SOC beckons for me in the morning.

• Evening everyone image.  Probably not the best time of day to introduce myself to your thread, as I'd imagine a lot of you will be getting early nights in preparation for an SOC.

But I'd love to make myself cosy here if that's okay?  I've been running since March and completely fallen in love with it.  I joined a club in June and did my first half marathon a few weeks ago.  I'm certainly not very fast but I love it anyway.  I've always run my midweek runs in the evenings, but I'm now at a point where I'm struggling to squeeze everything in.  So it looks as though SOC may be the answer.  I'm up early anyway for work (between 5:31 - 6am) so I'll have to get up really early to fit in a run.......but I see that lots of you manage it so I've been inspired to give it a go.

I won't be doing it everyday, but I'm going to aim for at least one SOC a week to begin with - starting tomorrow image.

• Tiny welcome....  10pm is bedtime for me! image

• 530am530am ✭✭✭
    Morning L&G

Welcome Tiny.

No SOC today and nothing now until Sunday's run. Finally, got the grip of hula-hooping last night. Kept it going for 10 mins. Missus keeps telling me it's good for the core, whatever that is. No it's not something I'll demonstrate in front of friends or in public!