Wednesday 3rd October 2012

Morning

Mondays lyrics: 'Yesterday' by The Beatles

What:4M Steady

Why: Just getting back into it

Never managed on yesterday. 'Net playing up then busy with younger sons 17th Birthday

Need to catch up

Back later.

Comments

• Morning Folks

Not been around for awhile, been busy

Ale: Hope you get it all sorted ASAP

AF: Yes life is short, get yourself to Comrades and do that IM. Its one of the reasons I'm cycling LEJOG next June.

What: Cycled 26 miles pre dawn, intervals tonight
    Why: Trying to get fit again
    Last hard: Mondays tempo run, yesterdays long swim
    last rest: Thursday

Lyrics? 

• Morning.

Nice to see you DD - what's next?

Blisters - whilst not the most mentally stimulating of activities I think the turbo is a very good training tool if you have the discipline to use it properly. I never understand how people say that they read books or watch films whilst on the turbo, if my concentration wanders my HR goes with it and I'm just going through the motions.

Touh session RFJ - which half marathon?

Belated Happy Birthday to Master birkmyre!

Cold seems to be progressing as would be expected and is all above the neck, antibiotics seem to be just about sitting on the infection and yesterday's turbo doesn't appear to have adversely affected either so:

What:             short, easy run if health and work permit
    Why:              I want to
    Last hard:       breathing through my nose
    Last rest:        1/10

Lyrics - familiar but not enough to say yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics: Monty Python's,  "Always look on the bright side of life". I'm trying to, honest!

Today's lyrics: nope.

Off to earn a few quid whilst i can!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    OH - great report and congrats on the HUGE pb!
    Emz- glad you got thru the day unscathed!
    DD - welcome back
    RFJ - sounds a good (if hard) session, & yes, which half?

Talking of HM, belatedly entered this Sundays local (Basingstoke) which tbh is a lot of the roads I train/long run on. Not a target race, more a training tempo run, with a medal at the end, however.......
    Expecting to help coach U11s last night at the club, I did 6m at lunchtime with 4x5 min fast intervals (middle four miles in 26.xx). Due to loads of rain locally however there was a much reduced attendance with the juniors last night so was told I could train with my usual road group...so a rare double...14x250m in continual relays (teams of 3)
    Sods law however with the race entry meant that on ~rep 10 felt a pain in the hamstring. Don't think its torn and 'jogged' the last few reps. But bliddy sore so lots of stretching today. Typical.
    So....
    What - nada 'cept stretching
    Why - Oldies take longer to recover from aches and pains

laters

• What: nil - possibly an indoor kayak session (AKA pub nightimage)
    Why: rest after mara (first run planned tommorow)
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics:?

Thanks guys for all the congrats. Walking normally again now!
    (biggest problem was standing on one leg to get a sock on etc)

• What: Quick visit to the gym on the way home
    Why: Still recovering from Bristol. Much less sore today, should be fine for a gentle parkrun.
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: No idea!

• Hope it comes to nothing Dustin.

Glad you're recovering OH and GGG.

I was rear ended by one of our students on the way in to work! I was stationary in traffic when all of a sudden 'wham' - an impact so hard that it sent all of the change flying from my little compartment near the handbrake and the dog's tennis ball from the back of the car to the passenger foot well. I swear I felt my brain move in my skull and it was some time before I could see straight but amazingly my car seems undamaged - and it's only a little old Corsa. I have a headache but other than that just a little crepitus in my neck and shoulders - a lucky escape I feel but I could have done without it on top of the streaming head cold and tooth abscess. Wondering if another rest day may actually be a good idea as the pounding in my head seems to be worsened by movement image

• LMH Take a rest day and get the car checked out by a garage, pleased that your generally OK.

Next is a 10K on Saturday and then its full into the local race season a mixture of Oly Tri's, 10K's, Half marathon, Marathon, Aquathlons, plus individual & team time trials, oh and the coast to coast  bike race 220K in November. Then in March it will be Abu Dhabi International tri before JOGLE in June AND return to blighty! 

OH: Nice marathon, my club mate ran it in 2-53.

Dustin:Sods law indeed hope its soon better.

• I think you're right DD - I feel a little wiped. Have taken car to local garage, there is some damage, it's been pushed in at the back which you can't see from outside and there's a dent/scratch on the bodywork near the bumper and a long scrape near the boot handle but nothing that will adversely affect it's handling, as it's an 03 reg Corsa if I did want to get it repaired the insurance company would probably write it off anyway, don't see the point in making the poor girl's life difficult for the sake of the appearance of my old car and it's already very limited resale value. I would like to feel well enough to go for a run though image Your last season of warm weather racing then?

• Afternoon

What 8 commute
    Why tapering
    Lyrics no

LMH Glad there's nothing too wrong thoughn the experience of minor accidents can be terrificaly unsettling.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH ---you seem to be in the wars of late! I think your response to the person who shunted you is exemplary...quite unusual for this day and age.

Alehouse: this must be an anxious time for you....hopefully your fears will be allayed. The achilles operation has been lined up pretty quickly, what is the estimated recovery period from that?

Blisters: loved the gangrene suggestion....just off to google the symptomsimage I didn't run yesterday or Monday but in the absence of any discomfort whilst walking on it, I ventured out for a careful effort this morning. Ended up with 7.5M at about 8:00 pace with barely any discomfort...it actually feels as if I've got a crease in the sole of my sock...possible a spot of tendonitis, but am seeing doctor on Friday morning (NHS....not being a subscriber to medicare!)
  • Tom - I believe that you should treat people as you would like to be treated. Glad to hear that you were able to run. It's not something as simple as a ridge of hard skin is it? If not it may be worth rolling your foot over a frozen water bottle and doing toe crunchies - gathering a towel up by scrunching your toes (if that makes sense).

Postie - I think on top of my current minor ill health it was all just a bit too much today. Do hope I feel well enough to run after work tomorrow though.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

LMH oh dear hope thats your three. Glad you're ok

Dustin hope you'll be ok too

Did 5.27 miles yesterday but when i got back couldn't post here as couldn't get internet

What. 1.1 miles

Why all i have time for mores the pity as felt good
    Last Hard: Friday
    Lyrics no
    off now back tomorrow

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH: I spend most of Monday poking, prodding, twisting, stretching and bouncing up and down on the offending foot with varying, but not particularly extreme, levels of discomfort...then doing the same to the other foot. The main conclusion I came to was that if you try to beat up on your feet it can hurt a bit!

Notwithstanding fears of stress fracture (a likely diagnosis if you're a closet hyperchondriac) and gangrene (I suppose if your forum name is Blisters it's reasonable that you would know something about afflictions of the foot), a more prosaic reason would be a change of running shoes or the fact that my orthotics, nine years old, are getting a bit battered.

Depending on the outcome of my doctors visit I think I'll get myself down to a podatrist. Realistically I can't train hard without orthotic support as I have a leg length difference of 15mm (broken femur in a motor cycle accident in the 1960s) and high arches combined with a pronounced forefoot running style.

Poor biomechanics....moi?
  • Evening!

Tom. wrote (see)
    Poor biomechanics....moi?

Et moi aussi! Mind you I rarely had a problem when running in the 60s and 70s in pumps/plimsoles and other shoes with no cushioning. Race shoe of choice I suddenly recalled the other day: Reebok World 10 or something like that. I should know: I used to sell them! Anyway I hope that doc agrees to a scan: if you don't ask you don't get! That would give you and the podiatrist something to work on.

No estimate given of Achilles recovery...2 days in hospital, some sort of boot for 2 to 3 weeks, gradually introduce stretches: consultant won't put a timescale on it, and physio says the same. A 58 year old tendon is likely to revover at a different rate to a teenage one! Will be following recovery plan, whatever it entails, to the letter!

LMH: take care...when someone drove into my car in May 2010 I felt similar symptoms to you, and am still suffering with neck problems from time to time, although, admittedly, I did have an existing condition. It was much worse 48 hours after the crash and had to receive medical attention. And the guy can have been doing no more than 10 miles an hour. Somewhat embarassing for your student!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom - I have a not dissimilar leg length discrepancy and am crippled without my orthotics, could well be your problem - let's hope so as easily solved.

Alehouse - I have had whiplash before and it felt much worse than this so I'm hoping it will come to nothing, still won't be any point in stressing the poor girl - I'll hurt just as much for just as long even if I went for compensation. Do you have everything set for your operation date?

Pammie - I hope so too - I'm feeling a little ill fated at the moment.

• LMH: just studying the admission form as I write. Op is 1.30 weds with admission 2 hours earlier. Am not worried about the op...it's the recovery that will drive me daft, plus can't help being anxious over PSA!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LMH / Dustin - Gosport Half is my Target race (18 Nov) but will also be going hard at Solent Half on 14th Oct....

5m easy tonight

Ale, Im sure all will be ok.... wil be thinking of you and hoping your recovery is good and quick.

Take care (lyric No and should have got yesterdays...)

• LMH, that wasn't a good day at the office was it? The others have offered most reasoned and reasonable recommendations, based on their experiences of being run into. Personally, I have no such experience to offer. I do however admit to rear ending 2 other cars, and reversing into objects/vehicles at least 6 other times. 3 of the incidents on my own drive. Just be careful if you park near me, OK?

Training? 9 miles whilst small daughter was at Guides and wife was away. As 16 year old daughter was at home and her boyfriend I presume that they had it away. Any opportunity, and all that.

• What: A sort of 5km tempo at lunch time plus yoga class after work

Why: I normally run on Wednesday lunch time with the girls from work, it's catch up time image plus yoga in the evening is such a good stretching session

Last hard: 7.5 miles on Sunday - training for GSR

Last rest: Tuesday