Sensitive runners collapsing

2»

Comments

• Cheers Crimson - not expecting anything serious but you never know

• Yes hope all goes well BP, let us know how it goes.

• Will do - not great with needles so not looking forward to it

• BP if it is an ECG and/or an echocardiogram there are no needles involved, the only thing you will feel will be the electrodes being pulled off your skin afterwards.

• JF50 - no already had that this is next stage. Actually back now and not happy!! Stupid Consultant forgot to put radioactive substance in me so after first part of test I sat there for 35 mins to be told could not go any further due to that error. So I had had a line put in which I hate for nothing. Not happy and now have to go back to have done again.
  • JF50 wrote (see)

BP if it is an ECG and/or an echocardiogram there are no needles involved, the only thing you will feel will be the electrodes being pulled off your skin afterwards.

Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)
    JF50 - no already had that this is next stage. Actually back now and not happy!! Stupid Consultant forgot to put radioactive substance in me so after first part of test I sat there for 35 mins to be told could not go any further due to that error. So I had had a line put in which I hate for nothing. Not happy and now have to go back to have done again.

What a nightmare for you. I would be furious especially given your aversion to needles. When do you have to go back?

• Have asked them to look at ultrasound they did last week first to make semi need to have these tests - so they contacting me tomorrow to set an appointment time if required and they promised me their best needle nurse next time
  • Crimson - there was a paper published in the New England Journal of Medicine in January (Jan 12th issue - and available on-lineto non-subscribers if you want to look it up). Stated that of 10.9 million runners in the marathons and half-marathons they looked at, 59 had had cardiac arrests - that's 0.54 per 100000  -that is VERY RARE. Extrememly upsetting when it happens of course, but very unusual.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Needles. Don't tense your muscles when they stick one in. Anyway if you don't like needles, try having 'Venous Sampling' like I did. 

🙂

• BP - in my experience a good needle nurse can make all the difference. Have to have regular blood tests (plus some irregular ones recently!) and now have my own personal vampire at the Drs surgery!

AM - Thanks for that. His interest has waned at present but think it is because he is processing it so expecting more questions anytime! Especially helpful as link refers to full and Half Marathon runners.

• BP, you are getting the rough end of some incompetence, bad enough having to sit round in any waiting room but then to find it is a waste of time even worse.  Hope they get you through the next phase of testing quickly.

• Stupid thing is I have Private Medical Cover but as it was just testing decided against needing to use it - I think it may have been wrong decision.

• Consultant decided to see me before they put me through my needle phobia again and decide whether I really need scan - seeing her 19th Oct

• What a palava (not sure if that is spelt right). Hope your appointment goes well on 19th. Do post and update.
  • Had my appt and Consultant decided I should have an Angiogram. Got my appt through for this - but discussions with my uncle (ex army surgeon) he advises me not to have it done and ask for scan again - he says Angiogram's should only be done nowadays if scan shows something or doesn't and condition persists. have to say having had details through about it it does seem a bit severe just to put my mind at rest. Consultant already said my background and family history puts me in lowest level of concern.

•  BP - Will they do the scan again (was this the one they didn't do properly last time?), and will it show anything up to allay your concerns? Why did she say you need an angiogram rather than a scan, is one better/more thorough than the other? Hope you get some answers soon......

• Jelleybaby - yes same scan as before and Angiogram actually means them going invasively around the heart and seeing what is happening so I suppose it is more definite than scan.

• Angiogram sounds invasive. No way a medical peep but surely you start with less invasive tests unless there is an indication to the contrary. If they deemed a scan suitable before they ballsed it up then surely it still us.

Only logic I can see is that they are going straight to the Angiogram as due to balls up they don't want you to have a scan that turns out to be inconclusive and then you have to have an angiogram anyway. Meanwhile clock is ticking and cynically I wonder if they have targets to hit in terms of referral to diagnosis.