Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• DLR - That's a great run for your supporter training!  Means you'll be able to run along beside a few of us providing encouraging words.  Hope you practice your phrases while you're running too.

SSQ - Have a great time!  Loch ness is a lovely marathon.  It was my first.image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Radar Sal! Good luck on the Paris-Versailles oddesey

@DLR - Take it easy for that last LSR - you dont want to wear yourself out!

@Skispeed queen - good luck on the marathon!

• Third and final 20 miler bashed out this morning! Pow! Even managed to drag a friend along with me, too. At least I assume we're still friends now...image

Looking forward to the taper to the Dam!
  • I did a marathon effort 10 miles today, turned out to be avg. 7.11mm and felt comfortable, so that's my target set at 3.08-3.10, it will be a great achievement if I make it only 8 weeks after my ultraimage. Another 10 miles tomorrow will take me to 60 miles for the week, easy week next week building up to my final 20 miler next weekend which will be the Red Bull Steeple Chase. I'm not sure how well a very hilly 21miles on the fells inc. a river crossing will prepare me but it will be good fun!

Enjoy the taper those of you starting that now. 

• Well done SqP. I have already done 3 x 20 milers, but the last one was 2 weeks ago and my body thinks I have started the taper already. Little does it know! I am going to take a half day off work during the week to do one more LSR.  That's assuming I get through tomorrow's 10K in one piece. Not looking forward to it as my speed is pretty poor at the moment.

• SSQ - good luck for Loch Ness. Hope you run faster than the midges. Paris-Versailles for me with RS this morning. But it's only 10 miles so we're doing the route in reverse first. Should be fun image .
  • You might surprise yourself Simon.  Sometimes think that we concentrate so much on endurance and mileage in marathon training that we don't realise our base speed over shorter distances is probably greatly improved too.

• Good luck to those involved in races today.

Well done to those banging out the final 20miler this weekend, I did mine yesterday and I wasn't very impressive!  Oh well, the last big'un before an event is often a bit rubbish so I wasn't overly surprised.  The sort of run which makes me feel I'll just be happy to get anything inside my 3:55PB.

I did have a first on a run for me though as I ran right into a hunt going on and had to ask about 30 people on horses blocking a quiet country lane to move to the side!  One of the riders said hope you're not scared of horses!!  I admit I was a little cos they were flipping massive!

Two rest days on the trot for me now, bliss!

• Ah and now I've picked up my husbsnd's cold, bah! Well at least it waited until after yesterday's long run...
  • Got my sympathy there SP.  I had one for over a week.  Head cold and permanently shattered - even a flight of stairs had my heart pounding!  Hadn't had anything for previous 18 months though so was due one.

Take it easy after though.  I had a PT session yesterday and that knocked me for six even though I felt ok overall.  These bugs take a while to completely leave the system.

• Thanks, Rob. It's annoying as I'd had that awful, lingering colf/flu for 2+ weeks in July, so I thought I'd be okay to last through the race now. image Husband's starting to feel better already so even accounting for my stunted immune system, I should hopefully be clear of this in a week or so, ready and rested for the Amsterdamage.

• True - best time to have it in many respects.  No real impact on fitness as it's too late to make gains but forces you to rest and recover.  Beware the carb cravings though!

• DLR - you were right, the speed is still there . New PB! Unofficial time is 42:26 so I'm delighted with that. And we won the Corporate Challenge. And the sun shone. Great day all round. Now to focus on Amsterdam.
  • I'd make a great mind coach image

well done simon!

• Half marathon done today with a PB too! Fighting a bit of a cold but hopefully it won't get any worse. Getting quite excited about the big day now!

• Nicely done Bexie.  Where was that?

• It was Barns Green Half in Sussex. It was a good run through the countryside, a little undulating but well organised. I would recommend it for next year. 

• Hey all, I'm officially in taper, WOOOOO HOOOOOOO, after the versaille-paris-versaille odyssey of the weekend.  Was quite a laugh.image French people don't take well to confusion at people running the "wrong" way.

Sounds like everyone else had a good weekend getting the kms/miles in.  think I've got a bit of a virus too but am very happy it's arriving now. image The weird things us runners get happy about.

On the taper, wrap yourself in cotton wool and watch out for these: Taper Traps

• Hi Guys,

I'm running Amsterdam in a few weeks going on my own as a mates now injured. Is anyone staying in Zaandam just outside? I haven't done this race before can someone tell me what its like? I did Brighton this year.

Thanks

Russ

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Radar Sal - uncannily accurate !

Russ - welcome to the fun. The race is flat and fast. There`s an underpass at @ 38 km which feels like Everest - but really isn`t. Temperatures should be good (i.e. cool). Can get a bit blowy out along the Amstel. I think the race is relatively small for a city marathon - 12,000 ? Still gets congested at the start. When I last did it, baggage drop off was a bit chaotic so might be worth factoring in a bit of extra time (esp. if coming from outside Amsterdam). Amsterdam is a lovely city. People are kind and everyone speaks embarrasingly good English.

Fiona Wilson 13: how did the long run go ?

• Another survivor of Versailles-Paris-Versailles - and officially in taper mode. I definitely reckon now is the time to get a cold - just long enough to get over it and have the immune system on red alert for the big day.
  • Hey everyone! Do any of you happen to know whether the drinks stations will be handing out bottles or cups? If it's cups I'm going to need to invest in a hydration belt pretty sharpish as I realised during the Dam tot Damloop last weekend, I don't do well with drinking from cups on the run!

• Rachel: It´s cups.

Recived my expected rejection Email from the VLM overseas ballot today. So now I can forget about that and have full focus on Amsterdam. Treated myself with a new pair of running shoes (Adidas Ride 4)

• CUPS?!?!?  AHHHH!!!  okay, that's annoyed me...but glad I know. image

• Hiya - after some advice please. I am considering either Edinburgh or Amsterdam next year. Have never run a marathon but done 7 half marathons to date (last one being the GNR last month). I am a snail (H/M pb 2:48) so not gonna break any records. I want a flat course for my first one and have been toying between Edinburgh and Amsterdam. I know Edinburgh has a cut opff time of 6hrs 40mins and Amsterdam has a cut off time of 6hrs. With my H/M time my predicted marathon time would be 5hrs 50mins (cutting it fine!!). Please advise between the two. Thanks

• Hey Karen, haven't run edinburgh or amsterdam (yet) but can let you know in a couple of weeks aabout amsterdamimage Are you going for a spring or autumn marathon should probably be your first choice...then there's lots more options than just those two.  Paris, Berlin, Venice, Rome well, any big city really. image

Hey all, I know I said I'd organise a saturday night dinner meet up before the marathon but I'm going to bunk off doing that.  I'll be too inside my head for lots of people and the place near me only takes bookings for a max of 5. SORRY imageimage Will definitely be turning up for drinks on the sunday though.

• Hi Radar Sal - Well I'm not bothered really. I applied for the VLM but didn't get through the ballot - so then started looking elsewhere. I just want a flat one for my first marathon as I am crap at hills. Had me head on to apply for Edinburgh as VLM rejects  can get in b ut somebody told me it was boring/no scenery and suggested Amsterdam - but I'm scared about the 6hr cut off time limit. So looking for any advice from anybody about Edinburgh -v- Amsterdam.

Good luck with Amsterdam in a couple of weeks.

• Karen - I wouldn't worry about the cut-offs.  If you do the training you'll be able to run most of the way and won't be over 7 hrs.  Last year's last placed person for amsterdam came in at 7:17 and can't find it for edinburgh but I'm sure it'll be over their "official" cut off.  have a look at a few other marathon results pages to see how it comes out, if you're unsure.  Paris is pretty flat (few ups and downs but definitely nothing that can be classified as a hill), I wouldn't recommend Rome as it finished on 7kms of cobbles which is hell for slower runners (killed my knee), Venice is flat but with 17 or so bridges at the end, Berlin is super flat hence the WR time is set there.  You have lots of flat options.  I'd figure out which time of the year is best to fit in the training with the rest of your life.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Karen - Edinburgh is UKs fastest marathon apparently and is in May. Amsterdam is in Oct and ok scenery wise but having just completed Berlin at the weekend, I can't recommend it enough. It is in Sept, great city sights along the course and fast/flat too. The cut off for Berlin is 6 hrs 45 mins so may be a better option?
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Oh, and applications open 25th Oct - no ballot and earlier you enter, cheaper it is!