Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Recived my confirmation letter today. The race is getting closer... image

Regarding the cups during the race I can recommend that you press them so they get sort of flat when seen from above. Then you drink from the `corner´ (hope you get how I mean, it´s hard for me to describe in English).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Karen - we'll tell you soon how Amsterdam is! I've heard that edinburgh is good and flat.

Thanks for the heads up about the cups - i'll bring my belt as well as i normally end up tipping the contents of the cup over my hands!

I've received my race confirmation through today and am really excited for the race!

• Thanks guys and good luck with forthcoming races.

I really want to try a marathon but know I (mentally) hate hills so want to try something as my first that I won't have a nervous breakdown on!

So it's either Edinburgh, Amsterdam or Berlin then next year! 

• Edinburgh's not exactly flat (ir's downhill overall) but it's not exactly in Edinburgh either. You start in the centre of town, them head pretty quickly out and along the coast, and then do an out and back to finish in Musselburgh (which is a town outside Edinburgh). To be honest, it's not that exciting a route, and the organisation can be a bit ropey. I much prefer Paris as an event.
  • You might not want completely flat Karen.  That can be more tiring as you're using the same muscle groups relentlessly.  Some very gentle inclines up/down give an element of natural rest for the different muscle groups without yoru really noticing they were there.  Likewise a downhill event can give big problems with your quads.

I'd think about:

1. When do you want to run it, spring 2013 or Autumn? (and remember training through summer/winter have different challenges)
    2. Do you want to be abroad or in the UK?
    3. Do you want a big city event or a small local one?

Once you've got that you can look for events that match your answers above but that are essentially (but maybe not completely!) flat.

OR

If you want to save time...

The answer is Paris.

• Another lurker..........I am doing Amsterdam too!!! 

I've got a few questions regarding marathon running.........what do I wear?? Should I colour cordinate??? Is it really nessessary to drink at the water stations?? Is it better to set off fast or slow???

Someone told me that Amsterdam is really hilly..........my geography is crap.........Is it as hilly as Paris, I was there in 'the spring' and pulled a muscle getting up the hill to our hotel..........image

• Aye, and fell over and got trapped in the railings on the way to your train...image

• Paris isn't hilly...undulating. I would recommend Paris. I didn't enjoy Edinburgh that much. 

Unfrotunatley I really enjoyed London and now I compare all the races to that one..

I'm pondering doing Paris and Amsterdam next year ...  

• You know it makes sense Shawnus image

I think of Paris as pretty much flat barring the two little 'ramps' along the Seine.  I know there's a degree or two of incline up or down throughout but I've never noticed either the up or the down - it's not steep enough to register.  that's why all my pre-paris LSRs are done on the flat canal towpath.

• Indeed it does.. many a time I have said "no more" after a race..and then you think "well let me just get to this point and then I can call it a day". We are destined to keep falling off that wagon. 

As you said earlier completely flat isn't better. You don't train that way (Well South london isn't that flat) so why race it? A little up and down is good for the sole image

•   I am running amsterdam for the first time and looking to run 7.45mm and try and finish in 3.20.  i am in the C start.  Does anyone have the same target and fancy running with someone?

• Clare, I wouldn't be able to keep up with you unfortunately. My PB is 3:42 so I am aiming for 3:40.

Kaz - you will need crampons for Amsterdam. Just make sure they are pink to match the rest of your outfit.
  • Simon - Crampons???

Clare - Too fast for me too.........my aim is to finish.

DLR  - I got trapped in the railings trying to find a  toilet!!! Hopefully Amsterdam has lots?

Shawnus - I loved Pairs.........just not pulling my quad muscle. image

• Clare - that would have been spot on for me - averaged 7:46 a mile in Paris - but I'm crocked and purely spectating in the 'Dam image

Kaz - Just don't use a cubicle if it has a red light outside it...

• Kaz - crampons are spikes that you attach to the soles of your trainers to help you climb the steep hills in Amsterdam. Hope you have included some altitude training?
  • all going a little mad here tonight are we?image  Bit of taper hitting?

My letter arrived today.  Was completely wrong that it'd be like other marathons where we print out confirmation and take that along.  Now I have a letter that I have to guard for two weeks image

• Clare - that is spot on in my time zone. My pb was 3:19 at London this year and am targeting 3:15 I think, but would be more than happy to pair up for at least the first half, and who knows how it will work out after that! Drop me a message if you're interested. I'm in start C also.
  • RS - I haven't started my taper yet - I need to do my last LSR on Saturday. So I'll have to find another excuse for my madness.
  • Letter arrived today and Mrs Mac almost threw it out as junk mail. Now that would have made me really mad. I'll need to put it somewhere safe, and then spend several hours, just before the flight leaves, searching frantically for it.
  • I think you can reprint it from the website, if need be, but it didn't allow me to preview the print from the registration check so not 100% sure.  Mine's going on the fridge with a super strength magnet.

Simon - good luck for tomorrow!!  I've got windsor half on sunday with a few mates should take it super easy but want to see what kind of pace I can maintain imageimage

• Good luck everyone for this weekend!  I'm going to try and fit in a final long one.  Looks like sh**y weather but if I get it out of the way tomorrow all the better.  Then it's smugness, pasta and wine all the way image

• So I too should have a letter at home for me then I guess?

I had a bit of luck earlier this week.  Needed to have ID to collect a parcel so went to where my passport lives.  It wasn't there!  Spent 30 mins searching frantically for it and was a relieved man when I eventually found it.  Wouldn't have wanted that panic in two weeks time!

Made my decision on pacing.  3:40 for me.  Although wouldn't be the end of the world if I later in the race tagged onto the 3:45 pacing group.

What's everyone doing this weekend?  Bike ride for me tomorrow (first one ever) and then 18 on Sunday, looking forward to seeing the front door at the end of the 18 miler!

• Garch - Thanks, but i think you are a bit quicker than me, I did 3.34 this year at vlm, so 3.20 would be my very best, i'd probably run out of energy if i went off too fast. Thanks anyway.

• No worries - say hi if you see me in Pen C anyway - number 1986 and hopefully wearing my Team GB olympics top!

• Anyone doing the expo thing late Friday morning?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi DLR - Nope - i'll be there early saturday afternoon I think.

• I'll be shouting at people and handing out jelly babies at the Royal Parks Half on Sunday. I hope the rain stops before then or they'll be very wet jelly babies.

Probably about 11 miles for me tomorrow, definitely tapering now. I notice in the pack there's a voucher for a reduced-price travel card (1,2 or 3 days), which should come in handy, if only for getting out to the Expo and back. I'm planning to do that on Saturday morning some time.
  • I arrive Sat afternoon do it'll be late afternoon before I get the Expo.

We'll probably buy the 4 day travel pass.

18 miles just finished and it was pretty aweful despite the lovely weather. Legs were heavy from the start and everything aches now. Feel totally shattered. I'll be luck to break 4 hours unless thing improve. Lots of rest for the next two weeks I think.
  • I'm finally starting to feel a bit better so I'm carrying on resting this weekend (though I'm cheering at Royal Parks tomorrow too), then I'll pick up with my plan's taper mileage this week. Not exactly the best taper to go from 100% then 0% then 50% then 25%, but being ill wasn't exactly planned... :/

15 days to go!!
  • Just back from two weeks of low altitude training (AKA sunbathing in the Algarve)

Long run in 29 degree heat with a Camelbak on was... interesting, shall we say, but beginning the Amsterdam taper with a day spent bobbing about on a lilo in a swimming pool with a book was pretty awesome.

Seen the posts about location for first marathon. Have to say I agree with Rob - Paris is the place to be. V flat, stunning scenery, huge crowds, extremely well organised, easy to get to, amazing atmosphere, plenty of things to see and do in the city before and after.

Squirrellypoo - did you have a nice holiday? How did your knees hold up?