Thursday 4th October 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:It's a long time since I saw you

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Never say goodbye' by Bon Jovi

What:5M Fartlek done.

Lots again to catch up on

Brekkie calling to.

Back later.

Why: need to. Cold when out  so wore gloves for 1st time this autumn.

Comments

• Morning

Birkmyre: Gloves? Better buy some before I head back Blighty way

LMH: Yep the last season of warm weather racing......... unless I spend more time in my house in Spain than the one in the UKimage. Hope your feeling OK today

Tom: Nine years sounds like a long time fro a set of Orthotics.

Ale: Good luck on all fronts

Last night was 12 x 400 off 1 minute recoveries, averaged around 88 secs an interval, which whilst 8 -10 seconds quicker than I was in August still represents a loss of 4 -5 seconds on February, work to be done.

What: 2K swim set at lunch, 6K recovery jog tonight
    Why: Race season
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last rest: 7 days. 

• Morning DD: Yeah cold out up here in this part of Blighty this morning !image

• Morning.

DD - will the new working arrangement allow for lots of time in Spain?

Blisters - I'll be sure to ask your expected time of arrival if we're likely to be parking at the same race image

Alehouse - don't worry about the PSA, if it is something, they're on to it, if it's not then you'll be wasting your worrying. Was your surgeon confident of a good outcome from the operation? If so then all you can do is your best with the rehab (which you will), follow instructions (i.e. not try to do too much too soon) and hope that it's not a long winded process whilst knowing that even if it is at least you're on the road to recovery.

No excess or new aches and pains today but my throat is still bad, if not worse again, and RHR is up again so I guess I'm going to have to listen.

What:            nothing
    Why:             beating my body into submission hasn't worked this time
    Last hard:      being beaten by my immune system
    Last rest:       3/10

Lyrics - I believe I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

What: Spin class lunchtime and swimming class tonight.
    Why: First day since race that i haven't ached!
    Last hard: Race on 30/09
    Last rest: Everyday in between!

Lyrics: Nope image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Ale, Tom, LmH continued good fortunes with your respective issues...& thanks for the words of support with my achey hammy.
    No running yesterday, feels a bit better this morning, so more stretching and am at the club tonight (my kids training) so will probably help the juniors so that I can give it some light jogging. No point in overdoing it with halfmara sunday.
    RFJ - I might be at Gosport - will have to check if it clashes with kids running/swimming/hockey fixtures. My races come way down the list...

Lyric - im not sure today

• What: run with group after work

Why: it's Thursday

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: yesterday

Lyrics: no

BM does Scotland count as Blighty?

(LMH)
  • Good morning all. 10M SR after work I should think. Took a rest yesterday because club session on Tuesday night was 12M at a pace a bit beyond what I'm used to. Was really good though.

Lyrics: nope.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

hope all is good

what: 3 mile run later and birthday dinner for a good mate

why: I can run again!

last hard: tuesday hog hill 5k race

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon

What 8 commute
    Why no imagination
    Lyrics no

• Afternoon!

I hear you, LMH! Good advice! Just got Urology important: inevitably it is when I am being operated on! And yes, surgeon is very confident of a good outcome.

Lyrics: No

Wabo:  good to see you and good to hear you are running again. If only!! Did you see many Hogs on Tuesday: Blisters  would be interested?! Trust you are doing plenty of stretching!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Ah, it must be Thursday, Birkmyre's doing fartlek......whaaat! done by 6:00am.

DD: Strictly it's two pairs of orthotics. One set are a pair of lash-ups which try out for the proper ones. The others are the proper ones now held together with gaffer tape (rather like myself I think). But yes, it is a long time.

LMH: get well soon

Dustin: you sound like a great dad, your kids are very lucky.

Managed 14M this morning, lots of loops, staying close to home. No pain in the foot, just that funny rumpled sock feeling occasionally. The run was a bit lack lustre, partly because of fear of foot pain but also had a few sundry aches and pains, hopefully down to the distance rather than biomechanics.

I'm fairly happy though (yes really), as I've had 4-5 weeks good training (September miles totalled 232), so I guess I'm due a down week.
  • Tom: well done, and well done again...September's miles (which included a few quicker than usual) and today's 14.
    Personally I don't think that you should up your miles any further, apart from extending the long run to 20 over the next three months, and even then probably only once a fortnight at most. And to compensate I would reduce or even omit one of the shorter runs, particulalry if you continue to run quicker miles with the club.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Feeling worse as the day progresses, appointment with the nurse practitioner in the morning, think I have a new, different infection to add to the list. The joys of a rubbish immune system. So, I have time to get better before Abingdon (hopefully) but do I have time to get better enough to have a good run there?

Sorry - me, me, me. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

LMH you've done the bulk of the training rest up till you feel better hopefully you'l be better when Abingdon comes (when is it)

a little 2miles something cycle home this morning then up at 12 and a 7 mile cycle to my hairdressers decided to come home via a different route with a few detours 13.42 miles on the way back nice Now i've done nearly 35 miles in 4 days been ages since i've done anything like that  although some may laugh but to me thats a lot

Even better coming back i was worried as my planned route included the old A13 still a busy route  but theres practicarly a cycle path the whole way nice i love that

Run later just a short one legs like jelly though

• It seems like I forgot to go to bed last night, and was a bit tired in the afternoon. Not sure whether to go for a run round the block, haul the old bike down, or just sit on my @rse all evening. Whatever, it will have to be after food has been created and consumed.

Managed to not crash the car today.

• It's the 21st Pammie. Nice riding.

I'd vote for the latter Blisters - but that's probably cos I don't have the choice.

• OH: I always thought Britain was termed Blighty. Not sure now !

• Tom: Just habit mate.It doesn't feel like a Thursday without my Fartlek.

• What: Nothing

Why: Super busy day and saving energy for parkrun!

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: Tuesday

Welcome hansyhobs, post in the current day you div! (We know each other in real life)

Lyrics: Nope
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: Thanks for your supportive comments.

My current situation is that I can hit 50mpw of six days with the LSR at 14M. Off seven days it's about 57mpw. I normally take a day off when I feel I need it, and the legs are feeling battered - approx every 2-3 weeks.

Max LSD is 14M, I really don't want to go beyond 16M at the moment as I don't feel I have the strength to cope with really big miles.

The problem is that I'm constrained by the club timetable of Tues and Thurs of speed sessions and Sat for the LSR. Ideally I would like to be able to run a hard tempo 9-10M but it doesn't fit with that timetable - I used to do this on Saturday, followed by the LSR on Sunday. At the moment is not too much of a problem as I'm still at the "any mile is a good mile" stage. By next spring when I will need the faster tempo effort, I can see one of the club midweek sessions being dropped in favour of this.

If I can survive the winter without injury, I'd be tempted to add a second daily run........but a little voice inside says that I'm thinking like a 30 year old and it's never going to happen.
  • BM I think there is some blurring whether it refers to just England or not
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blightyimage

Alehouse "Just got Urology important" (sic)
    That's quick!image
    (Is this a Voice dictation or Predictive text error?image
    just curious as using voice dictation software at work again)

Finished work late and missed group but still did 3.6 on my tod
    No ill effects from last Sundayimage

• oi gg, that's what i did yesterday though. i did nowt today!!!

• OH: that was, indeed, predictive text error...just got my urology appointment (which is important!!), and is, of course, when I am being operated on! Well, same day, anyway.

Welcome, HH! I'm sure that with GGG's help you will get the hang of the thread!!

Nice work, Pammie.

Tom:  club/self balance is always a tricky one, but I think the benefits of running in a group largely win, not least on the "mental" side.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: agree with your club/self balance comments. At my age it's about getting as much enjoyment as you can, and iId rather have the company of the club than my own.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening again

Welcome Hansyhobs

Managed 2.73 miles in the dark (unusual for me) though it was hard still had my bike legs on me  even though run was 4 hours (thereabouts) after cycle ended