My first ever mile!

Hi I'm new to this site and it is great - there's so many good tips here!

Anyway I've been running for the first time ever (not including school and football), and I'm proud of my running time: 3 miles in 30 minutes. So that's 6 mph/1 mile every 10 minutes, I was running and when I got tired I started to walk, but I've never felt better - it was great.

Is this OK if I walk when I get out of breath, even though I'm a beginner to this?

My goal is to join the Parachute Regiment in the British Army, I'm 15 (one month left till I'm 16) so I have 2 years left to join as an officer. I want my 1.5 mile time to be sub 9 minutes. Is this possible, to get from a 1.5 mle time of 15 minutes to a 1.5 mile time of sub 9 minutes in 2 years?

I've ran one day this week and I'm going to run 2 more this week, because my legs were hurting today and I want to be fully recovered when running. Is this fine? But after the first 2 weeks I'll raise 3 days running to 5 days.

I'm running 3 miles on all three days, could you please tell me any more routines especially those that would help me join the Parachute Regiment.

Thank you, Akshay. image

Comments

• Hey Ashkay

Good stuff. I joined the Infantry at 16 and I done under 9 mins for that although if I remember rightly I think we had to so sub 10.30. Don't forget to give the beep test a go now and again because thats an important one. Also on the day when you come to do your 1 1/2 mile test you would have run a swift ish 1 1/2 miles already. So really in your training you want to do a quick 1 1/2 then give it 2 minutes and go for your best 1 1/2. They will do it on a relatively flat course too which is a bonus.

The main thing is you have a very long time to train for this so do not over do it. Take it easy and get into slowly.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20261.aspx

Try the link above aswell because you cannot neglect your sit ups and push ups and the likes. Plus it's pretty easy to follow and tried and tested.

Good luck. Knuckle down at school keep your fitness up and the only thing you will need to worry about is the mental side of it image

• welcome Akshay, well done on your run. I'd echo everything The Vicar said (sound advice from someone who's been there). At your age you'll improve well if you can fight the urge to run too fast too soon. I'd focus on your aerobic fitness, by making running a regular part of your life, almost a habit if you like. Make not-running the exception. Also, if you enjoy other sports, like footy, then continue with that too, it's important at your age to enjoy the activities your doing as well as having goals.

Keep us updated on how you're progressing, you'll find lots of people on here who are happy to give your the benefit of their experiences, and hopefully help you avoid some of the mistakes we've made. Good luck.

• Thank you! image

I ran today and there was a sharp pain at the bottom of my leg, from my ankles (which where also hurting a little bit) to just below my knee. It stopped me from running an extra mile, and later on to the end of my session it started to hurt on the side of the area as well. 

Then when I stopped to walk it hurt similar to a headache, it was a sudden sharp-numb kind of pain and it hurt so much that I actually said "ouch". I stopped running because I thought to myself that I don't want to injure myself. My legs could have been tired as I slowed down so I could run longer.

My running shoes are the Nike Air Citius 2, but I've never experienced this sort of pain before. Do you think it could be my running shoes?

I have a poor running form I land flat on my feet , I don't know any other way to run! Can you please tell me how to run properly?

I run on slabbed pavements, so I run on a hard surface. I'm worried that I have shin splints as I was really getting into running, I was enjoying it! 

If I do have shin splints how long will it take me to recover, hopefully a few days?

Or do you think it could be fatigue?

If I do have shine splints would rowing and swimming be  good cardio activities?

Thank, Akshay. image

• Akshay akshay akshay! Sounds to me like your doing too much too soon. Take it easy you've got plenty of time and your body's going to need plenty too.

Also sounds like the dreaded splints??

i had them, they hurt for days image best bet is to rest you legs for the time being they've taken a bit of a beating in my opinion.

Don't let this put you off though as running is soooo enjoyable when it feels good.

My advice would be to carry out the run/walk strategy when the legs stop hurting.

Cardios cardio at the end of the day so rowing cycling swimming etc is all good for you.

You haven't mentioned anything about stretching?? Or a warm up/cool down, these are crucial for stopping any unwanted injuries.

Just remember your body's going to take time to adjust image

Hope this helps you akshay
  • after a few days rest though... I think doing some rowing is a good cardio exercise, without the impact on the shins. I've found that kept me fit whilst shins recover.

• Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Akshay akshay akshay! Sounds to me like your doing too much too soon. Take it easy you've got plenty of time and your body's going to need plenty too.
    Also sounds like the dreaded splints??
    i had them, they hurt for days image best bet is to rest you legs for the time being they've taken a bit of a beating in my opinion.
    Don't let this put you off though as running is soooo enjoyable when it feels good.
    My advice would be to carry out the run/walk strategy when the legs stop hurting.
    Cardios cardio at the end of the day so rowing cycling swimming etc is all good for you.
    You haven't mentioned anything about stretching?? Or a warm up/cool down, these are crucial for stopping any unwanted injuries.
    Just remember your body's going to take time to adjust image
    Hope this helps you akshay

Thank you. image

I don't stretch and I don't warm up or cool down, I'm going to start doing all those things though.

How long did your shin splints last for?

I want mine gone in a week, I was enjoying running as well. image

When I'm 16 I'm going to join a gym to run on a treadmill, because the road is a hard surface. 

• if you build up slowly and steadily, and run most of your miles at a very easy pace (easy enough that you can have a conversation with someone) then you'll build strength in your legs and avoid injury running on the road, and you can save yourself a few quid on gym membership and buy yourself something fun instead.

• I just hope the pain goes soon, should I run tomorow the pain was on monday or should I wait longer?

• I ran today and I felt much better, the only pain in my legs was from fatigue not the sharp pain like before. I could run longer today by slowing down my pace and I stretched before and after, and I done a small warmup as well.

I felt more lively, so I'll carry on doing warm ups, stretches etc

Thanks for your help! image

• no probs, remember to take it easy on the pace at this stage. just getting fitter will speed you up, you rarely need to go flat out when you're training.