Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• 530am530am ✭✭✭
    Oh and it was with a "weighted" hoop not one of those kiddie ones. Probably not available in Sports Direct....
  • Mrning you lot

Morning 5:30 all the best for Sunday.

Tiny: Welcome

5M fartlek done. Cold when out  so wore gloves for 1st time this autumn.

NW: 1 owl, 1 Morrisons Van, 2 llamas,4 horses, 1 KingsmillVvan,1 cyclist, 1 person posting a letter, PW: 1 car.

• Craigerrs: Welcome to the madhouse . Good to have you on board.image

• I would never have thought of hoola hooping as training, but hey, why not!

75 mins run this morning.  Only needed my torch once as I was running around a blind bend and could hear a car coming.  Still enough moon to see the road.  My hip was a bit stiff after my bump 2 days ago, but otherwise it was a nice steady plod.

Still warm down here.... no need for gloves just yetimage

Have fun folks.....

GOOD MORNING image

• morning all

welcome timy - hope you managed to get out. I have to be back from my run by 6am to get ready for work, so often get up around 4am, 4:30 if I am lying in for my runs!

felt more back to normal today and 6.5 miles. Chilly but not gloves weather yet - I had better find them though ready for when I need them.

have a great day everyone

• Thanks! Just back from a run, seems a lot shorter than all of yours. 2.56 miles, Isn't too bad considering I've only started long distance runs! Although I'm having problems with stitches.
  • Morning all - 7.3 miles, horribly slow, I have a nasty feeling I may have salmonella poisoning so I can't see a half marathon PB happening on Sunday. MC and PSC, you are hardcore, definite gloves weather today, and the head torch got an outing too. 5.30, interesting core training, is it an Olympic training hula hoop? Welcome Tiny, and birky, glad you're with me keeping warm. Have a good day everyone.

• craigerrs - don't worry about how far you go compared to others, it is seeing your own progress that counts.

Kate - salmonella? yuck - do you think you should see a doctor? and maybe some rest? I am not sure you are familiar with that concept though

• If I'm still rubbish tomorrow it is off to the docs MC, but they tend to prescribe rest as well and you're right, I don't really understand it.....

• I suppose, I'm trying to build 0.1 miles a day. Although today I ran an extra mile so it might be going better than I thought. image
  • just take it steady and you will build up. I am still very slow, speed isn't isn't important!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

((Kate F)) - What makes you think its Salmonella?

This morning was 10 miles at SOC. NW: 3 cows with very bemused looks on their faces, 4 NC (ninja cyclist), 3 dogs. It was absolutely pouring with rain so i'm lucky that skin is waterproof!

• Morning everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.  Well, I did it! But it didn't go exactly as planned.  Alarm went off at 4.45am and I just couldn't get up (mathschick - how do you do it?!).  I kept pressing snooze but then had a word with myself and got my running gear on, complete with head torch and flashing armbands.  Oh my word it was freezing! And really foggy! Couldn't see far infront of me at all.

After snoozing too long my second rookie mistake was to set off too fast.  I was so cold so just wanted to warm up as quickly as possible.  I was soon sweating but I tired myself out.  My stomach was also rumbling.....I normally never leave the house without eating breakfast first and it wasn't happy.  I felt rubbish and only managed two miles.

But when I got back, I felt brilliant image.  A fresh coffee never tasted and smelled so good, and oh what a wonderful hot shower! I feel set up for the day now and even though it was just two miles it was better than doing nothing.

So I'm not sure if SOC running is the way forward for me but it certainly warrants another attempt.  Well done everyone else who was out there this morning.

• Morningimage

I seem to have come down with bit of the lurgy....so no SOC today plus my legs are feeling really stiff today, might have something to do withthe boot camp excercises on tuesday.

Kate hope you feel better soon, I can't beleive you are still putting in the miles while you still feel rough.

PSC good to hear you didn't damage the bike when you fell. image

• tiny - the snooze button is a big mistake. You have to just roll out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off. I have my kit ready in the bathroom, as soon as the alarm goes, I am up and out. Part of that is that I don't want to wake up OH or the kids. They are never aware of the fact that I have got up and left the house.

The first few times are hard, but you get used to it and start waking up before the alarm.

• To be honest Tommy, I'm a bit of a fool but I'm unbearable if I don't run, Emmy, I had something called Shigella last year which has left my stomach susceptible to all sorts, my best friend had the same and she's had 2 bouts of salmonella since. Well done Tiny, the best thing is you can now think about the feel good factor when you think about hitting snooze. Tommy, hope that MC and I haven't infected you....

• tommy - hope you are ok

• Maths I think its a combination of being tired and a snotty cold, its so easy to pick things up if you are rundownimage I thing a bit of a rest day and some lemsip should sort it.

• Morning all, feeling quite lazy with two days no running, promise to get up tomorrow for an 8 milerimage though not hard core early like MC.  Most people tell me 5.00am is crazy so not sure how I could say 4.00amimage.  5.30 love that cross training, haven't hooped for years. PSC hope all is well after that crash. KateF hope the tummy bug goes soon, had salmonella just the once I believe and couldn't stay off the toilet for a few days, it co-incided with torn ankle ligaments from a football injury so I had several panics hoping I would make it there in timeimage Hi Tiny and Craiggers, and as others have said training times and distances don't really matter that much, you just need to win every race you enterimage Hi Tommy, Birky and EmmyH

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kate - I really feel for you. I hope that it gets better soon. Maybe rest is the best way forward.

JF50 - I have the same thing. People call me crazy for getting up at 5am to go for a run!

Tommygun - Maybe you need a rest day?
    PSC - how are you recovering after the crash?

I'm feeling like a child at christmas... my BRIGHT new reflective jacket has just been delivered. I've been told that i've blinded a colleague with them!

((hands lemsip and tissues out to the forum)) hope everyone feels better soon.

• you mean I am supposed to winimage

• MC it's a tough ask but it is a raceimage.  I do know some people that have won races, I'm guessing for most of us that may have stopped after we left primary schoolimage

• Hi all,

I've seen this thread title a few times but never really took much notice of it.  But I have now gotten back into running regularly, and want to increase the amount of times I run per week.  I work shifts on a 4 on 4 off basis, and have a young family who I obviously want to spend time with when at home.  Therefore I thought I'd have a look in here for some tips about getting some extra runs in.

I have to leave home at 5:15am for work, and get home at 6:20pm or later.  I'm thinking of going out for 4 mile runs before work, then having a quick bath (I don't have a shower), and then going to work.  This means I need to be out running by 4am (looking to run at 9m/m pace).

Does anyone else run at this sort of time in the morning, if so, I would love to hear any tips or advice you can give me.

• Hi Leighton.  From what I've learned so far, mathschick is definitely the one to ask about this!  I need to be running at about a similar time to you.  My first attempt was this morning and I made the fatal error of pressing snooze.  Mathschick's advice is to get up the second the alarm goes off and get straight out.  I've obviously still a lot to learn image

• hi leighton

yep, I get up at 4, and am slower than you

main thing, get your kit ready the night before, get up as soon as the alarm goes, sip of water if you need it, (I take water with me) and off you go. You'll be finished before you realise itimage

• Thanks for the welcome,

I have hung my kit out ready for the morning, and have set the alarm.  Now to try and get a decent early nights sleep and then to actually get up and out in the morning.  Really hoping it's not too cold!

• On my phone I set the most annoying song as my alarm and put it at the door. It means I run out of bed to turn it of ASAP. And I'm at the door ready to get dressed. Always works! 

• OK folks of the South I am sort of organising a Christmas social, just a few beer in a pub in London

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/clubhouse/rw/pirate-london-christmas-social-/225975.html

• Got my running gear ready for tomorrow morning! I've started using Nike+ running app, it's really good and I would recommend it. image
  • Evening

Just in for a nosey.

Leighton: Welcome. Good to have you with us.image

Craigerrs: Good for you mate.image