Kindle

Comments

• I've just bought one recently and am very pleased with it. Don't think I will ever totally drop "real" books but the Kindle is great for travelling etc., and the real reason I bought it is because of my up-coming surgery and rehab, I won't be able to take enough books with me to keep me happy in the evenings for 4 weeks. I've downloaded a bunch of books, quite a lot of them are trilogies so they should keep me occupied whenever I'm not having therapy or exercise sessions.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Some stuff is only on the Kindle like "Running Desperado". image

Get's my vote, I like my Kindle.

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

I am thrilled to say that I now have a Kindle - WiFi 3G Touchscreen. Very intuitive, no problems finding my way around the basics.  Have got my first book already.

Some earlier posts suggest these things can get damaged quite easily. Disappointed at the cost of covers £25, £30, £50. Adaptor £16. Will probably shop around and see if there are any deals.

• Martenkay, try Amazon. I've just seen quite a few Kindle cases on there for around the £7 mark image

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Thanks Saffy much appreciated. I thought I might try Tesco tomorrow an earlier post said they do Kindle so should have accessories.image

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Saffy, yes I have found them down the right hand side of the screen. Thanks again.

• Also worth a look at Currys/PC World they've got some dirt cheap cases in the sale but it depends on your local store's stock. I got one for a fiver (reduced from £30) a couple of weeks ago.

Your right though, some Tesco stores also have cases, a few again with big discounts.  

• Had my kindle for 18 months. love it. Read much more prolifically than before and the battery lasts forever. 

• I love my Kindle. I am now on the last of my downloaded books and about ready to download some more - it has been very valuable for the 4 weeks I have been incarcerated in the hozzie and now in rehab. I shall take it with me on holiday too.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm another with love for my kindle. It's really come into it's own when travelling and for reducing stress at lines. I'm more interested in my book than the 10 minute queue at the post office!

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I have to compliment Kindle Customer Service.  Dad of Jr dropped his bag and his kindle was in it. Whilst the screen itself is not broken, the display is fragmented and unreadable.

After googling, I completed their customer service contact form and they called back within the promised 5 minutes.

As the kindle is outside of warranty, they are sending me a replacement of the same model for £40 and sending me a packet so that I can return the damaged one.

I had researched to see if I could replace the screen myself and they were on ebay but for £50 plus P&P and coming from China so could have been hit by Customs and Excise

I rang them today at 10:17am and a new knidle was despatched at 2:02pm.

You really can't ask for more than that imageimageimageimage

An update.....

On Saturday, Dad of Jr broke the replacement kindle that he got in June. I have just got off the wrong to Kindle Support after admitting that the damage was all down to Dad of Jr.

Even though it's what I would consider accidental damage and even though it was replacing a kindle that was outside warranty, Amazon are sending me a free replacement as THIS kindle was still inside warranty

Once again, Kindle Support have exceeded all expectations and I am one very happy bunny imageimageimage

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I love my Kindle. I was always one of the 'I like real books, I'll never get one of those things, the feel of a real book can't be beaten'. Then my sister got me one for Christmas. It sat in the box for a year, then I started using it this year after someone sent me a disc full of books and it's fabulous.

Most of my books have gone to the charity shop now (only after they have been added to the Kindle or the wishlist) and, other than baking or craft books, I only buy ebooks now. I have a quick peek at the 99p book of the day every day. I seem to remember that one was £1.29 one day last week though...

• I love my kindle image
  • Kindle editions must be cheaper.  It's absurd that something that only exists in the ether costs more than the paperback or hardback version even when you account for VAT

• I agree, but most hardbacks come out on amazon at half price for a short time when they are new they are cheaper to buy on hardback then kindle which is daft!

But quibbles about things like that aside.  I love the freedom of the kindle.  Almost tempted to get myself a second one the new black one.... But might be naughty and order one of the backlit ones from the usa cannot decide if they are good or not.

• Kindle isn't more expensive, the newly released book is cheaper. All about the point of reference. New 'real' books will always be discounted to sell them. I'm pretty sure the publishers will set the price for both the real and digital books.

• apparently VAT is applied to electronic books, but not to printed copy. I think .........

• I love my kindle, but really disappointed with the lack of a library loan option for current books etc 

• Loon. wrote (see)

apparently VAT is applied to electronic books, but not to printed copy. I think .........

Aye, as they're providing a service.

• I go for the free books or the books under a quid, there are some good ones out there image

• The replacement kindle arrived today image

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

An update.....

On Saturday, Dad of Jr broke the replacement kindle that he got in June. I have just got off the wrong to Kindle Support after admitting that the damage was all down to Dad of Jr.

Even though it's what I would consider accidental damage and even though it was replacing a kindle that was outside warranty, Amazon are sending me a free replacement as THIS kindle was still inside warranty

Once again, Kindle Support have exceeded all expectations and I am one very happy bunny imageimageimage

Yes, Amazon's customer service is superb. My dad gave me a Kindle for Xmas. A couple of months later I knelt on it and broke the screen and basically bent it in two. I didn't want my dad to find out I'd wrecked his gift and phoned Amazon to ask about the possibility of paying to have it fixed. They told me as it was still under warranty they would send me a brand new replacement, even after I repeated several times that I'd broken it myself through plain stupidity. I was worried they'd send me a new one then change their minds and charge me for it but there really was no catch at all, the replacement arrived within 24 hours, and my dad never had to find out I trashed his present. I suppose it's in their interest to keep you using Kindles as you can only buy Kindle books from them - they won't want you to go off and buy a Kobo instead and get your books elsewhere. Still, I was totally impressed with their customer service.

• that's really good customer service runs-with-dogs. s far I've not had to use the customer service (frantically crosses fingers) but I'd be lost if mine broke. 

• Amazon really are the best I know for customer services.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Agree with that.  Everytime i've called them with a question or issue - they've been superb at resolving it within 24 hours.