London Marathon Ballot system is a joke.

Comments

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Nykie - so perhaps you could say that you became a commited marathon runner as a result of that London experience?  I was just wondering why you seemed sure that the majority of London Marathon entrants would treat it as a one-off when you appear to be a classic example of the contrary?  (I hope this doesn't come over sounding offensive in any way - it's not meant to be).

From the people I know who have done the London Marathon, apart from running club friends, there's only me who has gone on to run more than one marathon. When I did my first one, I was a member of a forum where there were a group of first timers.

From my experience, I'd certainly say that I'm an exception to the rule.

• I always wanted to run it after watching it on the telly in the 80's. The only exercise I did was walk the dog. Made up my mind I was going to give it a go. I applied for London after running 18 months.....took me 10 years, off and on to get in. 

If it hadn't of been for the London marathon, I would never of even started. It began as a bucket list thing......got slightly out of hand since then! 

See everyone next year for the same thread.....really wish they had kept the 5 year rule, though. I do like a target to aim for.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

....I am more of a wa#ker...

Don't be so hard on yourself BBH

• I always thought that London would be the one to take my marathon virginity away, always thought when I'm (mentally) ready, I would apply for a place, which I finally did last year, but of course I didn't get in. A chance conversation lamenting me being a VLM reject with a fellow runner redirected me towards Paris - one that never crossed my mind as I was being 'loyal' to London!

So I have now happily lost my marathon virginity to Paris this year, and felt no remorse at not getting into VLM.

Failed again this year, but I also learnt I don't want any big baggy fleece, although it did come in handy for keeping me warm at the start of Paris this April, and is probably hanging somewhere in a Paris charity shop!!!

• What was Paris like Sticky88, thinking of trying there next year if I dont get a club place in London.

One of the reasons for London that appeals to me is taking the family somewhere that they can enjoy, they put up with an awful lot being dragged around Scotland to muddy fields in the middle of winter to watch me.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Paris is great.  Well organised, nice and flat, more scenic than London.  From a spectator point of view, apart from Paris being Paris, virtually the whole route is well served by the Metro system so it's very easy to follow someone's race at different points on the course.

• And is Paris fairly easy to enter or do you have to enter through a non resident company?

• Rod Wallace wrote (see)

What was Paris like Sticky88, thinking of trying there next year if I dont get a club place in London.

One of the reasons for London that appeals to me is taking the family somewhere that they can enjoy, they put up with an awful lot being dragged around Scotland to muddy fields in the middle of winter to watch me.

Paris is as PhilPub described. I can't compare it with VLM not having had the chance to do it, but I enjoyed every moment of Paris - the support along the route is amazing! On the family front, I would highly recommend it, I had my other half and his mother along, and they enjoyed it very much! They had a nice breakfast at a cafe near the start after leaving me in my pen, and they still managed to see me just after the start, and as Phil says, the Metro system allows supporters to follow the runners, mine attempted but missed me as I was too fast for them image

And is Paris fairly easy to enter or do you have to enter through a non resident company?

You go to their website and you enter.  Simples image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Sticky88 wrote (see)
     the Metro system allows supporters to follow the runners, mine attempted but missed me as I was too fast for them image

My family was the same this year in London - I was supposed to see them at mile 15, 19 and the finish but I was faster than they thought and I only saw them when I was walking back to the hotel afterwards image

• Ok, thats me convinced, Paris it is. I'll leave London to the clowns, rhino's and TOWIE drama queens (and thats just the blokes).

• If you are a serious club runner, then there are other marathon you can do. I have done 6 marathon so far including London and I can assure you London Marathon is not the best, 

I shall be running the Luton Marathon in 5 weeks time and Portsmouth just before christmas. As mention London is not the only marathon. There are other like Liverpool, Chester, Manchester, Edinburgh etc. London is not the centre of the universe.  

The only way I will take part in London in the future will be under the Good for Age category, there is a good chance of that if I get a good result at Luton and Portsmouth. 

• I entered Paris after my third London rejection. Thoroughly enjoyed  every minute of it . Really good crowd support and a much nicer finishers t shirt than London (friend did London the same year). Enter on a first come first serve basis and I think it closed about 3 weeks after the London rejection mags came through.

Got in for 2013 (5th attempt)imageimage

• i see it sadly as what ever

i dont think anyone will change it

not that i'm that bothered - as i'm in the class of ( pushing a disabled person in a wheelchair needing assistance )

the able bodied do have a chance,by being able to enter- ( must be  heart renching for those for get rejected )  the sick and disabled have NO chance full stop

regardless of the pushers assitance expereince

• Completely agree with most the other posters on here, i keep applying for the London Marathon (been rejected about 7 times now, few for Flora and Virgin, took some gap years so broke the chain if applications).

Instead i took the punge and went and did the Rotterdam Marathon, thoroughy enjoyed and would highly recommend, was not an over crowded course, flat for a fast time and also great support all the way round with bands at every KM.

Sounded just like the London one without the fancy dress and overcrowded runners. Got myself a PB and have been working hard to qualify for the London Marathon rather than get given a place, makes it a lot more exciting training and competing in marathons with a target, I now know im not to far away from the qualifying time and when (not if) i achieve this i am looking forward to returning there rejection letter to themselves. image

• Woo hoo, got a club place. No more disappointing ballots for me image

Ok, thats me convinced........ I'll leave London to the clowns, rhino's and TOWIE drama queens (and thats just the blokes).

Rod Wallace wrote (see)

Woo hoo, got a club place. 

So, which one are you then?  image

• Because that would mean extra cost to administer and then they'd have less profits to give to their charities.
  • The London Marathon is a charity that raises money thro organising a race..

Think that is how Chris Brasher originally intended
  • Dave is right. And when they set it up they had six goals.

"Charitable status was established for the event, and Brasher and Disley devised six aims for the London Marathon:

To improve the overall standard and status of British marathon running by providing a fast course and strong international competition.

To show mankind that, on occasions, they can be united.

To raise money for sporting and recreational facilities in London.

To help boost London???s tourism.

To prove that ???Britain is best??? when it comes to organising major events.

To have fun, and provide some happiness and sense of achievement in a troubled world."

??

I think it's meeting all of those aims ?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What's the big deal with the London Marathon anyway?

In a road race all I ever see is a strip of tarmac in front of me.

That's why I can't understand marathon tourists. 

🙂

• And even Rod is happy now cos he's going to spend 5 hours running with Z list celebs and rhinos !