Running whilst travelling

I recently started a new job which has me travelling alot more, I am keen to keep up my weekly mileage, but find currently that even though I take my kit I struggle to get out and about in new cities/towns. Part of the problem is not knowing where to go - even with a check on mapmyrun or similar the info isn't enough to find out the types of places I'll be running through - I prefer to run for pleasure than because I'm being chased! Any hints, tips, experiences would be helpful!

Thanks

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Have a look at the routes that people have created on mapmyrun.

If someone has mapped it, and put it on the site for others to share, I would guess it should be reasonably safe.*

Do you go back to the same cities? If so, try contacting local running clubs, perhaps.

*Please note that this advice is given with no liability accepted for anything whatsoever that may arise from your following it!

• map my run allows you to search for runs that other users have saved, and you can refine by area, postcode, etc, so how about checking the area you're going to be in, and seeing where others have run, should give you an indication it's somewhere popular with runners, or you'll be going through a war zone. alternatively, i've found travelling with work, that a lot of hotels have suggestions at the desk on where is good to run. if you want a long run and don't want to get lost somewhere dodgy, perhaps just aim for somewhere safe looking and do laps. also, if it's a choice between running in the dark early mornings or running in the dark early evenings, go for mornings (muggers like a lie in)

• ah, looks like Wilkie beat me to it with the mapmyrun suggestion image

• I tend to take the simple approach and Googlemap the hotel before I go, look for a salient feature, then follow that on an out and back basis. I had a lovely run recently in Switzerland doing this along a specially marked out trail alongside a river.

If the town/ village is small and in the middle of nowhere then I run to the furthest point that it is safe to run to, double back and then run the other way towards the outskirts.

Biggest fear for me is getting lost somewhere where I have not the first inkling of the language.  Road ID and hotel key (or card giving hotel address) are taken as standard !

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I love the jogging trail at some US hotels which are 0.25 miles or so. Tell reception that you want to do about 6-10 miles and you get looks of miscomprehension and a shuffle to press the buzzer to alert security to the mad man.

I usually use the treadmill at the hotel to be honest, if I'm there for a longer time I tend to look on google maps for a suitable route and ask the reception if there is anywhere I should avoid. The hotel I tend to stay at in Austria has a 5k route printed on a map and a sign near the gate although it goes through a wooded area and fields so it's only good in summer when it's light.

• I would just go and do an out and back loop..........if i run in one direction and start to feel unsure.then I trust my instinct and run back to the start and try a different direction..........also look if there are any cycle trails in the area...........they are all over the country and perfect for running on.not many thugs wander of to them 

• Thanks folks, locations tend to change - which is good as well 'cos I get to run in more places, but do have to find new routes each time! I will check with the hotel next time and see what they suggest and have my mapmyrun routes ready!!

Cheers

• Take the name of the hotel out with you - if you're travelling a lot its hard to remember where exactly you are staying.  I usually take a screen shot of the booking confirmation on my iphone so its easy to refer back to.  Then if you do get lost - you have the address there to show to someone. 

• Mapometer is also good for this. It's usually returned something wherever I've been. A few times it's also led me to places I would never have found. It's the source of most of my local running routes too.

Google Street View can also give you some idea of what you might encounter.

• I travel quite a bit and have found that if cities have rivers then get there and run down and back and you cannot get lost. Otherwise find a park nearly and if it is dark run round the perimeter instead of going in it. I would also go for early morning runs instead of at night if you are concerned about security and never wear headphones when you don't know the place. I also generally take a small amount of local currency in case anything happens.

Paris wasn't great for running last time I was there as the routes along the river involve many pedestrian crossings and the city is badly polluted. However, I have managed fine in Budapest, Bremen, London, Milan, Venice, Grenoble...... 

• I've travelled loads too. I'd say that half the hotels I've been in, when asked, are able to provide details of local joggers' routes.  They don't always work out to be as good as you hope, but it's usually a good source of info.

If you know in advance where you'll be, you could maybe email ahead and ask if they'll be able to help. That way, there's a really good chance that they'll ask around their staff for ideas... rather than relying on the 1 or 2 who happen to be on duty when you check in.

The river idea is a great one...  I've done that myself... similarly coastal or lakeside ones too, if you get chance to pick and choose where you stay.

Of course, you can always choose hotels with treadmills, if you can put up with them. At least it keeps you fit.

• Thinking about it, the other advantage of asking the hotel is that you can then tell them where you'll be (if so inclined). Safety and all that.

• Been working in Cambridge over the last two weeks. Never been to the city before, but there are loads of parks, and been running round them.

I was quite surprised that there were loads of other runners, old and young and got running most days, even meeting some people and training with them. Never seen so many runners in one place - even more than London.
    Even did a few speed sessions with some University students a few times, which did help me running and finding good running routes. 

• If I don't go out the moment I get back from work, then i'll stew around the hotel all evening. Get in, change, get out.

Or as others say, run in the morning. I agree it can be hard in the winter to find routes, but it is doable. Typically most Western European countries are 'safe', though it's your lookout!

• Been in some hotels where they had a Gym. Was a week in the Liverpool Street Hotel in London, which has a Gym, Sauna and steam room. Was expensive, but Angel Court was paying for it, which was nice.

• Open the dorr turn left or right and run, has always worked for me including some extremely dodgy cities, the only place where I have not manged to run was Chittagong, simply too much traffic even for me. Iran was interesting as well, had to run in tracksuit trousers, long sleeved tee shirt in 35C +. Its always possible to run, treadmills are the last resort