2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

something wrong with the forum tonight - if this is a double post, sorry

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

ok, mace...looking at the four September runs

The three 20+ milers I managed to keep the HR below 83%max - but running a slow 9.30 - 10.00mm pace. Last one was sub70% for 17 miles, then I started to spike.

On the run with a MP section, I hit nearly 95% at the end of the Half Mara (19m into a 22m run) - stupid sprint finish...

Actually writing this down has made me think the drift ain't that bad...

Gels? No, not in training. 60g per hour on race day, though...

• Options
    Tek, to be clear, on marathon race day you will be running 80 max average or higher. Your last few miles will be 95% max. You have done the aerobic stuff so fo not worry too much about drift. Smash it !! image
  • Options

JSN - all the best for Sunday

Hope to do first post-marathon run tomorrow (with group)

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Doesn't look too shabby at all, Tek image

And on the 22 you put in a couple of low 8m/m's from memory to hit 95% !?

I reckon you look good and with gels to come for the real thing .... i'd have a few quid on you image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done for getting out to the gym

jason nice track session

mace- thanksimage - yes, the last 2 miles were 8.41 and 8.04

AGF yup, agreed and thanks - just don't want to hit 95% too early (and repeat my past few failures...)

OH good luck tomorrowimage

---

13.10m this morning, slow start, then kept to a 75% ceiling for the rest - 1h58 so pretty happy.  image

• Options

Tek - Today actually! but think I will be fine.
    sounds like you're well prepared this time

• Options

Ah well, finished work too late so missed group run but did easy 3.6 with no ill effectsimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done for getting out there...glad you're ok

HM - is it blowing a gale down there with you?

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Reading back:

OH thats a massive PB well done I enjoyed your race report.imageimageimage

YC well now thats the first out the way what have you got planned for your next one? well done the marathon club is a great one to joinimage.

Teknik some nice training going on there sir.

Fiona nice to see the speed building up not sure about the socks in bedimage.

Jason looking great for that 2:4*image* I thought that I had got myself close to that for London this year, but as you know it ended with that bloody stress fracture thats also one reason why I am using Dublin marathon to build a nice base going into Christmas. I cant wait to see how you go on Sunday.

Well thats my week in the SUN over managed a few runs image but dont recommend drinking French Coffee and Brandy Alexanders the nigh before. Did have a slight panic when 10 miles into my LSR I put my left foot in a pot hole and twisted my ankle a touch, thankfully everything is ok. Now where did I put my gloves and hat...............

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik hope that cough is better.

Stuart, good to use the recovery time to mix up the training a bit. Nice to see you back to running already OH!

jason can't wait for the report already.

NP good to hear you enjoyed the sun.image That's dedication doing a LSR on hols! 

Booked the London flights last night for VLM! image image Got out for a run last night (work got in the way Wednesday) and did 8 miles at av 7:46mm pace. Set out to go slowly but a bit chilly so just ran without bothering what the pace was. Also entered the Aviemore 10k which is 14th. image

Who are all the racers this weekend?

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

welcome back NPimage

thanks F - I think it's nearly over

Week-end Races

07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D, GazOC

07-Oct Chicago Gary Dyer

• Options

Good speed at the weekend folks image

• Options

AGF: R U still going for Abo??? had to pull out myself. Injury from March still niggling.image

• Options

Np-starting some base mileage over the next few weeks as that was lacking pre mara training this year.Next race will be Alloa half in March,then another block of base in prep for an autumn marathon(venue undecided)

Abingdon sounds a good course ,anyone on here ran it before?

• Options

Hi Solent, really sorry to hear that. Thats a long time out and must be hard. I have pulled out too. After the really good training period for me in the summer I picked up a niggle that has sidelined me for 6 weeks. So I am building again now for spring...... ( I see no point in doing abingdon again without a PB shot ) 

YC, it is a nice race. Very flat and friendly feel - although the race is top heavy with faster club runners. Always sells out fast and there a reason. Course is nothing special in terms of scenary - but you do not run it for that !!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi Solent...sorry to hear you're crocked. Hope you shake it soon...

YC - good plan, I think

Hi AGF

---

8.66m easy this afternoon...all okimage

• Options

OH - Well done on getting out for a run. 

NP - Glad nothing serious came of your 'accident'

Fiona - Nice running

Tek - Well done

-----------

Gym again for me. Upper body pull exercises this time. I have a bit of an injury to my right quad so I'm a while away from running again, hopefully be clear in the next couple of weeks.

Had a look at running a marathon early next year (despite everything I said on Sunday), and if I can get back to running soon I think I'm going to sign up for Lochaber in April. Although datewise, Blackpool the weekend before is absolutely perfect for me.

• Options
    Quite good to look forward to a weekend without any commitment to run (race or training). Brief swim on west side planned for morning and probably kayaking on Sunday.

Probably an end to racing for 2012 although I haven't entirely ruled out fraserburgh half in November. No holiday left for anything else!

Good to see my fellow Nessies are looking towards next one already

Good speed for Chester to JSN GazOC and Compo

Likewise to Gary for Chicago
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Most definitely is.  At least it's not been too rainy.

SR,

Hope that clears up soon for you.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Think i might be overdoing the " take it easy this week " advice image

Since last weekend's race i've done just the 3.5M easy on Weds evening.

Quads felt slightly tight then and have since recovered nicely so no problem other than my right achilles. It's not swollen or painful but still feels a little stiff/sore. Was going for a 5M tonight but decided against it and will see how it is in the morning.

I'm bloody gagging to get out ..... 

• Options

NP - sounds like you had a good holiday.

OH - Nice to relax!

SM - Take care.

Solent - Sorry to read you are still injured.

Tek - Good running as usual!

Mace - lol.

I am taking taper to the extreme! had to cut my LSR short @ 5 miles yesterday as felt awful. Woke up this morning with my left cheek swollen and numb, eye streaming, and generally feeling lousy. I broke a tooth a few weeks ago( what I now realised is months ago - July!image) and it is now infected. Tooth cleaned up and dressed with that awful tasting/smelling clove stuff, and a 5 day course of pennicillan(sp) that I am sure are large enough to be torpedoes!! Imposed rest for next few days. Better to rest and recover now, I think, since its only 2 weeks until my hols...........

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Cheers guysimage

NP- when's Dublin?

5m plod for me tonight. Might do a slow 4 in the morning, but might not. Then it's time to jump in the car for the drive across the border. Getting real nowimageimage

Will, of course, report back on sunday night sometime, but if anyone is bored, you can check my splits at 10k and half distance apparently. Number is 1157.....

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
  • Options

Good Luck to all racing/running this weekend.

I will look forward to the reports.image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kaz - sorry I missed your post last night...nothing scares me more than tooth problems - hope you feel better soon; rest up.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Kez hope your feeling better soon.

Jason Dublin is at the end of the month (Mon 29th) I will be doing a LSR this Wednesday so I can do it with the girl that I will be running with, she has been very consistent and has been doing 50+ miles a week and Wednesday will be her 5th 20 mile run. It will be nice just to run and enjoy it rather than race, I got my VLM pack and need to book flights but we might also take in a holiday after London so we are looking at a few options at the moment.

Teknik when do you start your taper?

Fiona nice to see your on the ball with your flights are you staying in the same hotel? we got booked in again at the same placeimage I have put all my plans together now which will finish with the world police and fire games in August next year so I hope to do the half marathon in that and the biathlon.

• Options

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.

Weather is glorious today which meeans for my usual Sunday run tomorrow it's bound to be raining!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jay - LOL

NP - I'm on the P&D 12/70 so this is my last 70m week - next three weeks are 57m, 39m, 11m race week (I'm tapering more than the plan says)

---

9m easy with (a) stride() at the end.  Happy that the club run is now turning into an 'easy' run.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Good luck to all this weekend's racers image

Tek - i've been looking at some of them P&D plans and the last few weeks look brutal, not surprised you're tapering more than they say, i would too !!?

(a) stride()  .... you've lost me with that one, what does it mean ?