Friday 5th October 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics: Hello darkness, my old friend

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Weak in the presence of beauty' by Alison Moyet.

What;4M Easy

Why: Legs are  feeling a bit tired.

OH: I never knew that re Blighty.

No gloves on today as it was milder when out. Bit foggy though. No milk left this morning in our house, no coffee for me, as I can't drink it black.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

Welcome HH.

Tom - do you need more mile and if so - why?

Alehouse - hope you've managed to rearrange the urology appointment.

Pain about the milk birkmyre - I trained myself long ago to take it black, none as it was the best chance of getting a cup when out and about in my former career.

My peak flow is down now too. Off to see the nice nurse practitioner this morning, maybe she'll have a magic wand? May I have some realistic opinions as to the likelihood that I can run a reasonable (sub 3.50 minimum) marathon on the 21st assuming another week of no running? I don't need platitudes just some straight talking about what this week is likely to have cost me and how that might be compounded by further rest. I did a good last LSR on Saturday (22 miles) and nothing other than one hour on the turbo since. Was hoping to be able to do a couple of hours this weekend but that's not going to happen.

What:            nothing.
    Why:             still ill.
    Last hard:      accepting I can't exercise.
    Last rest:       4/10.

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: Nothing.
    Why: Sister's birthday.
    Last hard: Sunday.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Lyrics: Absolutely!

Little Miss Happy you'll get back on track I'm sure.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LHM: I'm at my peak mileage for at least the next six months, subject to increasing my LSR from its current 14M up to 16M. Most of the miles are just easy running and I don't intend to do the the hard tempo run until next spring. The likelihood is that I'll probably get injured by then anyway.

You're two weeks out from your race and you've only missed 5 days training so far, and importantly you did manage a significant LSR last Sunday. You would normally be tapering from now anyway. What's at risk is the lost of focus as it's very hard to think about the race when you don't even know the next time you'll be training. I think you have to resist the urge to play catch up as you won't gain any more fitness and you risk exacerpating your post illness weakened state. I'd suggest as much easy running as you can comfortable manage over the next two weeks without feeling you're tearing yourself down, with a couple of short runs at MP. In short keep it relaxed and comfortable, indulge in a bit of visualisation of the race and try and regain your focus. (Keep calm and don't panic)
  • Thanks Tom. Actually don't know when I'm going to be able to run again, am not setting even vague deadlines for it as I then find it more disappointing if I can't get out. Rest, fluids and more antibiotics and an attempt to stay positive it is image I'm not so worried about the missed training from here on in it's the week I've just lost that  concerns me more.

• Morning!

Lyrics: yes

LMH: I agree with Tom, but would go further and do even less than he suggests! I wouldn't worry at all about the week that you have just lost...you have had a reasonable build up and got some good long runs in. Think positive thoughts! Banish any negative ones! (Wish is what I'm trying to do with my health matters...and you have helped with this, thanks!)

Urology department has been on answer phone for last 24 hours! Grrrrrrr!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

happy friday all, and welcome HH
    I'd echo Tom's wise words, you've done the hard work miles wise, so (and I know its easier said than done) try to stay calm and focused on the race. Next week you may wake up and find everything has clicked back into place.
    Oh and thanks Tom, if you can tell my kids that I'm not "the worst dad in the world" from time to time, I'd appreciate it!! Good work with the mileage too!
    Aleh - answerphone for 24hrs ?!! Thats taking the p1ss   image

Last night offered to help the juniors, so had 21 year 5 and 6s rep running up and down the steepest hill (on grass) within our track/pitches confine. They seemed to enjoy it, asking for second round of uphill relays that we finished with. Lovely to see them working hard, training hard and all with smiles. If only they had a communal volume control button...
    Ergo I rested (apart from light jogging with the w/up, c/down) Probably for the best.
    Today - 4mile (I hope)
    Why - hamstring leg stretcher.

Lovely Weekend everyone!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics, oh yes

lmh, oh no, hope you are feeling better soon.

hi to georginagem!

what: something maybe gym swim maybe run, dont know

why, just not sure

last hard: 5 k run last night

last easy: weds

5 mile race on sunday, will be interesting and fun!

Have a lovely weekend all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Back again with my whats, whys and wherefores.

Lyrics: Of course...played this lastnight as we where trawling through some our old American stuff - Dylan, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Byrds, Love, Leonard Cohen, Beachboys etc.

What: A very relaxed 8+M in about 62mins per my analogue timing device.

Why: Thought I'd need a recovery after yesterdays LSR.

Last Hard: last weeks LSR.

Last Rest: Monday and Tuesday of this week

Enjoy the weekend
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Tom Good running and good music

What: 4 miles (2 miles out and back)
    Why: keeping it easy-ish
    Last Hard: last nights run
    Lyrics For once i do

• Thanks guys. I'll keep calm and carry on!

Dustin - how is the hamstring today?

Alehouse - hope you've managed to get through, if not have you tried telling the main switchboard at the hospital what's happening and seeing if they have an alternative number? Or calling and asking for the consultants secretary rather than the urology department?

• Not long after Dustin's amusing comment said department phoned: appointment 9am Monday. Drink lots beforehand. Water by the pint full.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news Alehouse - even less time to wait and worry and nice to get things started before your surgery.

• Evening

What nowt
    Why where to start?
    Lyrics yes

Too much to do before work with wet weather meant i bailed this morning though will have to run tomorrow as the bike is at work. Carp day at work as the Mail center is still not processing the work properly. This means we have to hand sort which takes a lot longer and puts time pressure on the rest of life. To cap it all the zip on my back pack broke so I'll now have to buy a new one.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

manic few days, rest day yesterday

today 7m and now going out for an Indian with Mrs RFJ, as tomorrow we have been married for 22 years.........image

Take care

• What: now

Why: just finished work

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: Wednesday

Lyrics: YES

Son back home for weekend

Swim on west side planned for tomorrow morning

RFJ all the best for tomorrow

(we're past 28 years now)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

congrats for tomorrow RFJ
    I bailed on the run today, busy at work and just got home  - drenched walking back from the station.
    So binning the run, but the upside is hammy feels OK (small ache but think thats underuse!!) so more stretching and an easy run tomorrow. Hopefully all OK for a HalfM on Sunday - not that I'm chasing a time.

Cheers 

• RFJ: Congrats for tomorrow.

• very funny Dustin (and Ale should be taking the piss, not them!!!!)

4k swim d&d.new record 73 mins!!

Running still restricted - looks like the big S is back!! Its a real pain in the arse. Pin cushion man had a go last night and gave some relief but not enough.

Jesus RFJ 22 years - thats a hat-trick of itches!!

• Paddy, I'm giving it, not taking it!
  • Glad to hear that you're all making it sound so funny.

Lyrics, yes, and I should have got yesterday's.

I managed to get on top of my backlog of work today Well, enough to stop worrying about it. Even the Boiler Man obligingly turned up with enough time left for me to get a really, really good swim. The only problem was that they wouldn't let me swim as the pool was shut for a club gala. So, I went home again and kitted up for a run. In the rain. 11+ miles done at 8:15m/m. Nice, but damp.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    23:00 to 23:59 is Blisters time. Sounds like you had a good day, young man..... same time tomorrow?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Blisters I'm sorry  but that made me laugh damp rain.

Reminds me of my college days we were raising money for a charity and i was responsible  to gather volenteers for the sponsored joust in the swimming pool.

One Biology teacher replied That means  i'll get wet 

• Tom. wrote (see)
    23:00 to 23:59 is Blisters time. Sounds like you had a good day, young man..... same time tomorrow?

Quite probably Tom.