Have a great day

Comments

• Morning!

What: 5k
    Why: It's international parkrun day!

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: 5k in beach party fancy dress

Why: It's the 1st birthday of parkrun Aberdeen!
  • Morning.

Hi Clag - long time no see - how are things?

Happy Anniversary RFJ.

Great swimming Paddy - what do you put the improvement down to? Sorry to hear about the return of the PITA.

Woken by a coughing fit and my peak flow is down on yesterday so my return is not yet imminent.

What:             nil, nada, nothing
    Why:              immune system says 'no'
    Last hard:       breathing is getting harder
    Last rest:        5/10

Lyrics - not sure I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I was going to try and start the thread with a lovey dovey song.... but was flat out when Pammie posted anyway.....

yeap 22 years today with the lovely Mrs RFJ

So shes going to the gym and i'm of to parkrun....image

Take care

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    LMUH - that's not so good! I've e-mailed you. All going fine but too much to share here!
  • Morning!

What: parkrun/relays
    Why: watch/marshall

Lyrics: think so, but not 100% confident

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Sound of silence;' by Simon and Garfunkel. Easy as most of you got them

Wow how busy is it on here alreadyimage

Todays : Think so.

Lovely sunny/cold autumnal day up here. Just walked Geordie for 1.5 hrs. He's happily tired.image

Hope you all have good park runs/races etc.

Clag and Georgina: Good to have you with us.

RFJ: Great how you and Mrs RFJ are celebrating this morningimageimage

Younger sons footie game for today has been postponed ! Dunno why !!

Be back later.

• Forgot to say

Tom: That was really sound advice to LMH yesterday re last 2 weeks into race..

• Morning

LMH I can work from anywhere so Spain / UK makes no odds to me, but kids still at school so can spend all summer in Spain but not all year but when they have flown image

What desert Run 10k this morning first 10K without a swim and a cycle in front of it for over a year, 42-24 on a warm (30C +) morning. 27th Overall and 1st M50, nice cup! 

Why: Time to become a runner again.

Last Hard: wasn't that I finished knowing that I could have gone harder / faster

Last Rest: 9 days.

have fun out there

• Sounds great DD - the job flexibility, your 10k time, the warmth.........

• DD: The job sounds good. Well done on the 10kimage

• yo gang! Sorry I dropped off the radar. Was really swamped at work and just about managed to keep up to speed with the sub 3:30 thread.

Just a quick post to say I am alive, albeit going slightly taper-mad.

DD: I congratulated you on the other thread but it never hurts to see another well done, so here it is image

RFJ: happy anniversary image

LMH: that doesn't sound good ...

hello Clag & georgina image

what: a little shake out those legs run later
    why: there's this 26.2 mile jog around Bremen tomorrow ...image
    last rest: yesterday
    last hard: tapering
    lyrics: I think so but not 100% certain

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning again

Sorry RFJ image

Happy Anniversary

Hello Clag
    Chickadee Nice to see you
    DD Well done on the swimless-Bikeless 10km

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    RFJ: Happy anniversary - 41 years for me next month (OMG!)

DD: Good 10k there - once a runner, always a runner!

Pammie: I feel I ought to know the lyrics!

Disappointing run for me this morning. Alarm didn't go off so overslept and missed the start of the club run (6:50 prompt....and they really mean it). Anyway ran the loop backwards and met up with them. At about 6M in (of 8M) my foot problem reappeared and I just shuffled through the last couple of miles. Obviously a bit hacked off...but see below.

The first (and last) time it appeared was last Sunday again at about the 6M point of an 8M run. Symptoms are a bit odd - initially a slight tingling and numbness followed by an occasional discomfort which feels like I've trodden on a stone - had a bit of that during the week but nothing more. However today and last Sunday the "stone treading" became more frequent until it turned into a sharper blister-like pain. During the week I rested Mon and Tues, ran 8M on Wed, 14M on Thurs and 8M on Fri without any significant discomfort.

So what is the problem - stress fracture, infection, bunion, gout or gangrene. Saw doctor yesterday who wasn't terribly helpful except to confirm there was no inflamation, blistering or breakage and told me if it carried on hurting to take a painkiller...problem solved, who needs private medicine.

A bit of investigation on the hypercondriacs paradise (t'nternet) suggested the best fit to the symptoms was an inflamed nerve between the toes (Morton's neuroma anyone?). Most commonly occurs in people who wear badly fitting or tight shoes (eg High heels or ballet dancers!). In support of that my two offending runs were done in my snug lightweight racer trainers, were as the trouble free midweek runs were done in my sturdy broader fitting trainers. Also the problem occuring at the same time (6M point), might be down to the time it takes for your feet to expand when you run.

So tomorrow is a close to home session in the sturdy trainers, whilst on Monday I'll be booking an MOT with the physio and also a session with a podatrist to revamp the clapped out orthotics.

Well it's either that or give up, but as I posted in response to DD, "once a runner, always a runner"

Have a good day all.
  • Chick: All the best for tomorrow.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Chick: just to echo Birkmyre's good wishes, and to apologise for my "me..me.." posting to distract my attention from your outing at Bremen tomorrow
  • You've made it through the taper chickadeee now all you have to do is go and nail that sub 3.30! Go girl!

Tom - a stress fracture sounds most unlikely with the intermediate lack of pain. If it is Morton's Neuroma then you need to address the cause and stop it's progress asap. Hope the shoe experiment works.

Lovely day for running - or even cycling - here image

• What: Swim at Yesnabyimage
    Why: Don't have to run this weekend
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last Hard: 30 September
    Lyrics:No

LMH Tom Oh Dear
    Chickadee - good speed for tomorrow

• 7 miles on TM d&d. stayed on TM in case things went pear shaped.

LMH - Taper madness. Hope hings are good next week!!!.

LMH - Regarding Swimming - I put the improvement down to a few things:

1) A lesson. I had one and listened and implemented!!! technique is King

2) Training - self explanatory

3) Dont laugh - A new pair of swimming shorts!!

Chick - enjoy tomorrow (at least the first 20 miles and the beer afterwards) good luck

• Wish that it were just taper madness Paddy. Can barely walk five steps without a pathetic asthma cough. You are doing well with the swimming. Unfortunately lots of lessons and lots of training haven't made anywhere near as much difference to my speed, it's probably like the running, I'm destined to be middle of the pack regardless of how hard I try. Know what you mean about the swimming trunks though - I'm guessing you've gone from baggies to fitted? Worked for my husband too.

• Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Know what you mean about the swimming trunks though - I'm guessing you've gone from baggies to fitted? Worked for my husband too.

Did it work for you, eh, Mrs? Nudge nidge, wink wink.

Fingers crossed for the taper.

Chickadee, we'll be thinking of you trotting around your little joglet. You'll soon be up to doing properly big distances.

Tom, I think that the descriptions are now pointing towards a solution, if not necessarily an agreement of the exact medial description. A couple of years ago I got acute doses of plantar fasci-itis. Or whatever it's called. The basics were that I was doing too many runs in old shoes. My mileage trainers were fairly old. My favourite lightweight racers were very tired. I found that at exactly the same distance into a run I'd get a bit of warning, then an acute stabbing pain right in the base of the foot. I'm afraid that the odd day or week or rest didn't cure it. However, it is fixed now.

OK
    Today's exercise was in two parts.
    A 63 mile bike ride with Group 1, in 3:35. That's a whole ride average of 17.5mph, aand ignores all those flooded, cow cack covered country lanes, horses, the puncture stop, and so forth. On road pace was more like 20mph average, although they started off a bit quicker and I was seriously questioning my wisdom about going with them. Very pleased not to be dropped in the last 5-10 miles.

Part 2. A major clean up for the bike and rider.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments image

welcome Clag

Postie - hope all gets sorted soon

Chick - all the best for tomorrow

Blisters sounds a good ride.....

Newbury Parkrun this morning, chuffed with 4th place and 18:52.....

• I'm used to him in lycra Blisters image Good ride there.

• 8 commute

Bike at work

No

• Blisters wrote (see)

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Know what you mean about the swimming trunks though - I'm guessing you've gone from baggies to fitted? Worked for my husband too.

Did it work for you, eh, Mrs? Nudge nidge, wink wink.

It done nothing for my mot

• For your M.O.T.?

I don't suppose that it would.