'Mature' runners.

Comments

• On the butterfly subject we get plenty of red admirals taking refuge in our garage for some reason, some at the time of year when you don't expect to see them.

No running today, resting.

• Hi Red. Glad to see that you are stll running strongly.

BI - I admire your swimming. The year i trsined for a tri,I quickly discovered that swimming was my weakest part. I stepped away from the pc for awhile. I am running some, but am really inconsistent. I hate that.

For what it is worth, I missed you guys.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Awwh Jim, we missed you to xxx

OT. we've still got Red Admirals in the garden but the Peacocks (butterflies not birdies!) are starting to take refuge in the garage.  Have the waters subsided in York yet?

I'm just off to do some intervals on the treddy.  Let's see if I can breathe through them..........

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Can't help on the butterfiles/moths. Used to see a lot of smallish black moths with crimson spots on wings, when I was living in London. Forgotten the name but in caterpillar form they are yellow and black striped and live on ragwort plants.

TE - no, you were not the only one neither running nor swimming on 30th. I ran on the 29th and swam on 1st, but had a restful day on 30th.

Hello again Jim. Stick with us, even if only to say Hi from time to time.

OT - well done on weight loss and improving fitness.

• Hello Jim, long time no hear.

Columba, glad that I wasn't the only one resting on the 30th.

Weather horrible today with very strong winds and heavy showers. We have a hill session this evening, and it will be interesting to see how many turn up.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Hmmm, treddy session was just about acceptable.  1 mile warm-up then 6 x (400m @ 8.5 min miling with 1 min recs), 1 mile cool-down.  Didn't push for 10 reps as breathing a bit laboured when running, although I recovered quickly during the recs.  Tomorrow will be a longer road run as conditions off-road are bad after the recent deluges.

Weather's been a nuisance all day - rain one minute then dry the next with strong winds.

TE, hope your session was OK.

• No running today as its footie night.

Redhead, the waters are gradually subsiding, there are still a number of roads affected so not quite back to normal.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Squelchy everywhere here and am getting concerned about Beachy Head.  Still time for it to dry out a bit I suppose.  Off for 7 miles soon.  It's raining and I will undoubtedly get very wet.

• Redhead, Get out there girl, you're from liverpool not a  southern softie   image

• JJ I looked up the 5 spot burnet moth, and it wasn't the type I saw. They were black with a broad bright red band towards the back of their wings. There were no spots.

Red, when is Beachy Head? Enjoy your 7 miler in the rainimage

Lat night's club session was 4 sets of 3 hill reps with a jog recovery between sets. The idea was to increase the uphill pace between 3 lampposts, so at the third, we were going "flat out." The rain wasn't as heavy as expected, but still bad enough. One of our runners has heard that she has been successful in the ballot for a London Marathon place, so I am hoping to accompany her on the long runs in the weeks leading up to the race. This will be good training for us both, and I hope other members will also join in.

I'm impatiently waiting for an electrician who was supposed to arrive between 8 and 8.30. He has probably been held up in traffic, but could, at least, phone me on his mobile to say he is on his way. I can't go out until I know what's happening.

• I ran 6 miles this morning on the same route as Monday, and was nearly 3 minutes quicker. I ran 55.59 which is an average of 9.20. I had just got back when the electrician phoned, apologising, and saying he would be round in about 30 minutes. He dismantled the old unit and then discovered he had brought the wrong replacement. I was well pleasedimage He is hoping to return tomorrow and fit the new unit.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

TE, it's on the 27th so a few weeks to go.  Hope your electrician arrived eventually.

Did I mention I didn't get a ballot place in VLM?  Apologies if I'm repeating myself. I'm not going for yet another GB place either as there are now lots of people clamouring for them whereas when I first started out they couldn't give them away. I'll still be fund-raising of course but without the pressure.  I didn't enjoy VLM this year so it's time for a change.

Got soaked going out then blown dry and baked on the way back and as I walked through our door the heavens opened again!  I actually ran up all the hills for the first time in several weeks and managed an average of 11 min miling so was quite pleased.  However, earlier in the year I was managing it at 10 min miling so there's still a way to go.

Ceramics class for me this evening.  Yippee image

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - GB = Guinness Book?

TE - maybe JJ was identifying the moth I described, rather than "your" moth.

I chickened out of the club run last night, as it was pouring, had been pouring all day, was blowing a gale and had been blowing all day.

And shan't be running today either, as have been working (Aberystwyth), - looks as though work there is continuing, albeit in rather different circumstances.

• Columba, you are probably right and I had overlooked the fact that you had also described a moth. Many years ago, I had a family holiday in Aberystwyth and remember the very steep hills. I had an old Ford Estate Car which was very underpowered, and the passengers had to get out to enable me to get up the hills. We stayed in a place 3/4 of the way up a very steep hill, and I parked with the wheels turned so that if the car started to roll back, it would be stopped by the kerb. I also put blocks behind the back wheels as an extra precaution. I had to do this, as the hand brake wouldn't hold it. Additionally, I left the car in first gear.

Red, I applied for a London Marathon place in the first two years it was held, without success, and then lost interest. A few years later I intended entering via a charity place, until they advised that they wanted £1.5k. This put me right off, and I have never had any further desire to apply for entry. Do you use a potters wheel at your ceramics class?

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

The sun's out and so will I be in  few minutes.  A tempo run methinks image

Columba, GB=Gold Bond place where you pledge to raise a specified amount for your chosen charity.  I ran one for Cancer Research and they asked for £3500 for their GB places 'cos so many people apply.  ARUK ask for £1500 and I've used one of their GB places 5 times now.  I never thought I'd raise that amount but have always exceeded it but it's jolly hard work!  Good to hear your job is continuing.

TE, there are some wheels available but I prefer hand-building methods such as slabbing and coiling.  I haven't done any pottery since 2007 as there haven't been any courses available locally so I'm starting afresh.

Right, off out image

• Red, enjoy your run in the sun!

Tonight is a 6 mile fartlek session with the Club. I'm hoping the rain will hold off, as it is forecast heavy rain from Thursday evening, right through the weekend.

• Redhead, i hope you kepy yourself dry today.

5 miles tonight 54-52 my quickest since may, the weight is slowly coming off.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

TE - your car story was a real belt-and-braces tale!

We had sunshine this morning, and I ran 5 miles along a very hilly moorland road. By prior arrangement, I ran to a friend's house, and she revived me with coffee and chocolate biscuits and chat, and gave me a jumper to wear when I'd cooled off, and drove me home again. It is SO hilly I knew I wouldn't be able to run back as well as there. As it was, I had to drop to a walk twice. She lives right out in the wilds, with a horse and three dogs. And a husband, but he wasn't there today. 

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

OT - my 5 miles took 15 minutes longer than yours!

• Columba, yes it was really scary. The car was a Ford Cortina Estate and so underpowered that it was dangerous. With a car load, I would have to go down into second gear for most hills. The handbrake was very poor. Your run sounded eventful and it is good to train on tough routes.

Last night was a 6 mile fartlek session, with alternating miles of steady and faster. The rain actually held off, so the session was completed in the dry. The evenings are now noticeably colder.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Rain, gales, rain, gusts, RAIN, GUSTS!  That sums up last night and this morning.  My hat blew off 3 times when I went out to the horses and I got blown over climbing over the stile to check the sheepies - I can hear you sniggering you know! image

Glad I'm not running today, just gym stuff so I'll just be wet from sweat not rain.

Columba, well done for your hilly route.  It's perfectly acceptable to walk the really steep bits and I shall undoubtedly be doing just the same on the 7 Sisters towards the end of Beachy Head.  I chuckled when you said your friend lived

Columba wrote (see)

with a horse and three dogs.

Then the husband is an afterthought!!! image

I've got a dilemma.  The local Horticultural Society need 2 new committee members and I've been approached.  I've been avoiding all sorts of committees since I left the Bank but I feel almost obliged to take a turn at helping out.  The trouble is I know that there is a lot of faffing goes on and I'm not patient enough to keep my mouth shut!  So, do I thrown myself into it and bite my tongue when necessary or do I refuse, politely of course, and use my charity work as the excuse?  Any advice gratefully received.

• I know what I'd do, I avoid committees like the plague, for precisely the same reason as you, I can't keep my mouth shut and have very little patience with people who can't make their minds up.

• It hasn't started raining here yet, and so far have avoided the 60mph gusts of wind. Ran a steady 5 miles this morning.

Red, I've served on various committees in the past, in various posts, and it is a thankless task. I think members tend to be taken for granted, and get little thanks for all their efforts, much in their own time. My advice would be to politely decline, as you already do more than your fair share of charity work.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

4 - 5 hours for a committee meeting??? - horrors.

I also have avoided all committees since a 2-year stint as treasurer of Ysgol Meithrin (Welsh playgroup) about 23 years ago. I also can't stand all the faffing, but tend to put up with it and fret and fume silently about the waste of time. Much simpler not to get involved. 

Didn't run today. Working yesterday and trying to get report written-up today and house approximately tidy prior to my brother's arrival tomorrow. Fortunately he is not very fussy, and as long as he has a bed to sleep in and we've got a few bottles of wine in stock, he'll be happy.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

The sun is out and so am I, although not at the moment image  There's a plant fair on at Great Dixter which I usually support but I've got so much planting to do I can't spare the time.

Had a good run this morning. 4.5 miles of fartleking.  I hadn't intended that but people were out and about and ready for a chat so I used the breaks (4 in total) to recover.  I really pushed and got sub 8 min miling but boy was my breathing noisy!

Thanks for your comments on the horticultural committee proposal.  I have decided not to do it as I'm already on 2 different steering groups for Alzheimer's/NHS institute for health research so I reckon I've got enough on my plate already.  Plus I've been asked to join another one by DeNDRoN who are setting up a register of dementia patients and their carers who would like to take part research.

JJ, hope your daughter gives birth soon and that both mum and baby are well. 4-5 hours for a meeting?  Good grief!

Have a lovely weekend everyone image

• Red, well done on your sub 8 minute miling. Hopefully, your fitness is coming back!

A so called rest day today, but as it has been bright and sunny, I just couldn't stay indoors. I have, therefore, been busy in the garden, digging, edging and spiking the lawn. I will probably ache all over in the morning, and have an 8 mile forest run scheduled with some other club runners. The Solent Half is next Sunday, so I must keep out of the garden, and channel all my energy into the race.

Looking forward to Strictly Come Dancing again this evening. Last night, Victoria Pendleton came last, but I'm sure she will do well as the weeks go by. She has said that her thighs, which she spent years building up, have nearly disappeared since she quit cycling. That is probably why she is having problems with keeping in step, and her posture. She was very nervous, and is obviously under a lot of pressure. I think poor old Brucie is well and truly past it now, and should make this his last series.

• Redhead, you are looking as though you are well prepared for Beachy Head Mara.

I've a bit of work to do to catch up for Brighton, however, today in the lovely sunshine put in my longest run since i ran London in April 2011, which probably explains why i'm so lardy these days. 

I struggled to complete  9 miles in 1-54-57, from mile 5, i was running on empty, the stamina levels have long since gone, but i'm working on it, the only positive thing i could conclude from the effort i put in was that i did'nt give in. It was an out and back run so once i was out there i had to get back.