Duathlon

Hi folks I have just completed the Loch Ness Marathon and am still in recovery mode from it, I had a short run on Friday night and was going to head out tomorrow on the bike for a short cycle.

I have been pursuaded to enter my first duathlon in 4 weeks time, which is 5k run/17.5k cycle/3.5k run.  I am looking for some sort of training plan for the next 4 weeks, I know I will have to practise run/bike & bike/run during the training but will my marathon training allow for a less tough training bearing in mind its only 4 weeks away.

Cheers Neil

Comments

• Get thee out of here. Try the darkside, they have cokkies - or so I've been told.

OK - maybe post in the tri section as well, lots of very knowledgable folk there who will talk about bricks and the wotknot.

Concentrate on pace, marathon training is great for endurance so you'll have that.

Today I ran 8 X 400; 1 X 1200; 8 X 400 @ 5k pace. Something like that would hold you in good stead. 200m 'float' recovery
    Cycle say 10 - 15k then run 8 X 400 @ 5k pace or just do a 5k run

I'm not really an expert I just cycle commute so I often cycle out to where I run. Rather than finding the transition hard I actually find the cycling an excellent warm up for the run. My legs feel good rather than heavy or jelly.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm guessing (but maybe you can confirm) that having trained for a marathon, (a) your running fitness may be better than your cycling fitness, and (b) you will have a good endurance base.  Take this as a cue to your training over the next 2/3 weeks - I would prioritise cycling over running, perhaps do a couple of long rides in place of long runs.  For both cycling and running try to do some tempo/threshold level efforts as this is about the level you'll be working at for the race.

W.r.t. practising running off the bike, it's good to experience it so that you know what it feels like, but IMO it's more important to be cycling fit + running fit, than to worry too much about going from one to the other.  You're either gonna be jelly legged or you're not!  On race day, it's a good idea to err on the side of high cadence on the bike, rather than pushing a big gear, and spin the legs out before starting the run, so that your quads aren't too heavy.

And finally - if you're changing footwear in transition - elastic laces!