Driver training, licences and tests

If you were in charge of the DTp, what would you ideally like to do?
How would you set up the driver training programme?
How should the test system operate?
Is one test for life adequate?
What sanctions would you impose?

and
Do you have a biased opinion?

I've got a few ideas, but I don't think I'll get the job!

Comments

•  - Enforced 'P' (Probationer') plates for the first year

- Restricted power outputs/speeds (a bit like the 2-step Motorcycle licence)

- Motorway lessons (sat alongside instructor, if not actually driving)

- If physically able, new candidates must spend at least a week commuting by bike (& so understand how we think some drivers are psychotic) & perhaps a few days on a moped too??

- Insurance to be cut in price, in conjunction with power outputs?

- 'Black Boxes'/traffic-cams (contentious issue, I know) to be utilised to keep tabs on high-risk drivers?? (& equally prove guilt/innocence in RTCs)

- Re-tests at 65?

- More Traffic Police, with discretion/ability to talk to people, rather than simply speed cameras

- For the ones that won't wear seatbelts, a go on this rig may persuade them that even a 5MPH collision can hurt

/members/images/442128/Gallery/Towing._Trailers._Seat_Belt_Shocker.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbg-daPUT_I

- Mobile phone users to watch their handsets crushed by their own car, & them driving it (unless mitigating circumstances?)

• Me. Just get the car drivers off the road (and pavements). I'll not stop at car drivers, trucks and vans.

Get everyone walking or running or on a bike.

How many problems have I solved with that?

Too many drivers are rubbish. Yes they cut up cyclists (though I have to admit that there are some very poor cyclists out there), they don't look where they are going, they think they own the road, they are too cautious, drive in the overtaking lane when there is nothing to overtake. I could go on.

The standard of driving in this country is poor.
    When I learnt to cycle at school we had lessons on they highway code, we even had a test on it.
    This should be instrumental in any driver training, more theory work. Knowing the rules of the road, understanding why it is like it is, Respecting others.

The car is not king but we drive like it is. Get out of my way bloody asshole!!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Bex Hill wrote (see)

Me. Just get the car drivers off the road (and pavements). I'll not stop at car drivers, trucks and vans.

Get everyone walking or running or on a bike.

How many problems have I solved with that?

How are those who's nearest shops are miles away supposed to get the week's shopping home?  (Don't forget you've stopped the on-line shopping by getting rid of the vans!)

• Provisional Car Licenses at 16, full ones at 17 to encourage kids to get more experience before they take the test. I'd also enforce a minimum number of lessons (say 20 hours) with a qualified driving instructor.

I don't think you need to restrict power for young drivers as they won't get insurance on anything quick anyway.

Restrictions on the number of passengers young drivers can carry would probably be a good idea.

I think you are (or will soon be) allowed to drive on a motorway with a provisional license if you're being instructed by a qualified driving instructor.

I'd have medical tests from 70 (say every 5 years). Statistically, old people are actually reasonably safe - probably 'cos they drive so slow image

• Change the drink driving law to NO alcohol then there is no confusion about what is right for one person may not be right for someone else.

Bring in dangerous driving laws for people going too slow as they can also cause accidents.

1st year drivers have a curfew of what is the latest time they can drive on the road, then increase it year on year.

Re-sit your driving test every 10 years.

• retests for everyone at 70 yearsold....

no curfews on young drivers but no passengers allowed in the car under 25 at any time during the first year.

cut the hands off anyone who drives without insurance............

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I really like the idea of making all drivers undergo a period of cycling on the roads before they can get their licence. Having that first hand experience of being on a road with the inevitable dangerous, idiot drivers might make them think about the safety of the cyclist and avoid become an idiot driver themselves.

• i'd be happy to sit a retest for my driving and motorcycle license every 10 years. Skills get rusty and the technology changes, as does the standard required to pass a test. so what was relevant in 1995 when i passed my test may not be now. Plus I may have picked up a lot of bad habits that need to be corrected.

I've certainly seen a lot of silly manouvres made by drivers who look like they have enough experience to know better.

if the driver/rider doesn't pass then they are given a "provisional licence" for a year until they do pass, with all the restrictions that go with it.

• Don't think drivers of 65 need a retest but do think they need a medical evaluation and reaction test.

Medical records should also be directly linked to DVLA with flags to alert driving restrictions when necessary.

I also think people who wear glasses to read number plates should wear them when driving, In most countries your license has this info on it.

• Retest every 10 years?

Hoorah, a sensible decision is gaining momentum! I'd vote for a retest every 5 years to be honest. My flying licence requires a retest every 2 years.

Bex Hill wrote (see)

Too many drivers are rubbish. Yes they cut up cyclists (though I have to admit that there are some very poor cyclists out there), they don't look where they are going, they think they own the road, they are too cautious, drive in the overtaking lane when there is nothing to overtake. I could go on.

The standard of driving in this country is poor.
    When I learnt to cycle at school we had lessons on they highway code, we even had a test on it.
    This should be instrumental in any driver training, more theory work. Knowing the rules of the road, understanding why it is like it is, Respecting others.

The car is not king but we drive like it is. Get out of my way bloody asshole!!

How I agree with the above!

Personally, I think that drivers should undergo an NVQ style course of training, with a minimum course content and minimum number of hours. I like the idea that was put forward about having to prove competence in poor weather. But all that is primarily aimed at the junior end of the spectrum. They can pass tests, then prove to be plonkers quite quickly. The State has a problem in managing any protocol about restricted hours for new drivers, it can't be monitored. Therefore it won't work. This is a serious problem, and one that needs a good solution.

The other one of the generally poor standards and lack of road respect are relatively easy to do. The 5 year re-test. It will need many more examiners, but the cost of these will be borne by necessity by the driver. The administering of the system? It's in place already. Make the driver responsible. Get caught when out of date and you are uninsured. Am I too naive here? Probably.

• Could one of the reasons for so many accidents be that there is too much traffic on the roads ? Would improved/increased public transport help matters ? Saying that, the bus drivers of Sheffield appear to have been on a large vehicle training course that instructs them to ignore other road users ! If the buses and trains were modern, clean and reasonably proced, how many people would chose this option to commute to work ?

• Whats a train? Do they still exist?

Wilkie, I don't drive and I still manage. What's wrong with horse and cart doing the deliveries? Why do you have to do a massive weekly shop?
    As I cycle to work I see a bloke in the middle of nowhere carrying his shopping home, he's already walked about 6 miles and is not home yet. He doesn't appear to have a problem with it.

We've just come to expect to be able to drive everywhere. Take the car away and people will still manage. When I lived in a small village I was better served than I am now living on the edge of a town.

• Blisters wrote (see)

My flying licence requires a retest every 2 years.

Should be annually. The standard of aviation of most private pilots is shocking. But that's another thread....image

Pirate bike ride today saw and old couple in their convertible Lexus (roof down) crawling along the A246 without a clue where there were going. Then they stopped in the middle of the lane. A few cars over took them.

Then they indicated right, rolled forwards, dwadled a bit, then got overtaken whilst turning right, image

• Put the driving age up to 25 and take the driving licence away at 60 when all the pensioners get free bus passes. Suits me down to the ground image
  • Is that because you qualify for a free bus pass LB?

• Jeremy Vine on Friday said that any male who couldnt work out which way round to wear a baseball cap should forfeit the right to drive for ever
  • The electric chair for anyone who is caught going at more than 0.00000001 mph over the speed limt. image

Or a stiff talking to.