Options

TheTriathlonCoach 20 week IM Programmes

Hi All,

Has anyone used the specific 20 week IM programmes from Simon Ward at TTC? If so, what did you think? Contemplating it for a race next year, but would like some feedback first.

Cheers

Comments

• Options

Not heard of it, whats the weekly time total like?

I used Fink as a rough guide for my first and made my own plan for the second iron distance, which peaked around 18-20 hours a week but i'm not a front runner.

• Options

There are 2 options, 12hr or 16hr of training per week. If you go onto their website there are options for pretty much every IM race. How specific they are I don't know, hence trying to find out if anyone has used them.

I know a few guys that use Fink and seem to get good results.  

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

16 hour plan inlvolves 11 seesions, 3 bike including 2 turbos  and one long bike, 3 runs, 3 swims 2 strength sessions, detaled instructions for every session. I like how everthing was planned out and will use this for another race.

I thought it was pretty good if you want everything planned for you.

I

• Options

Thanks F.oggy. Did you get a good result? Was it your first IM?

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

7th Ironman distance race. Pb of 11.37.

• Options

the general weekly approach is:-

3 runs - inc 1 longer run building from 30 mins to 2.5 hrs over your program
    3 swims,  - inc one building to 1 hr 15 mins / 3.8k over your program
    3 bikes - inc one longer one building from 90 mins to 6 hrs over your program.  Second medium ride to include intervals.

Thats 9 sessions in 6 days as its nice to have a day off.  So many days will have 2 sessions a day, (no one fancies too much else following a 2.5 hr run or a 6 hr bike)

with a long run / long swim and long bike as key sessions each week.
    Add stength core if you have time

If you really have more time, bike lots more and run a bit more

Gordos 'basic week', Friel's 'your best triathlon', fink's 'be iron fit', the program I spend £70 a month on are all variations on a theme.....

I do 14 - 20 hrs a week.
    Don't leave it all to the 20 week program though.  The fitter you are when you start it the better, (although the previous x weeks should not be 'training', just fun exercise
    Finally consistency counts - I have a basic week, that I try and do week after week after week.....(with different interval sessions / swim sessions / durations each week).