10 Mile race next Sunday

I started a couch to 5K on 7/19/12. I have my first 10 mile race next sunday, which i am really looking forward to it. I ran my furtherest ever today, 8 miles in 70 Mins. Really chuffed with myself and i feel confident that i have enough in the tank to get around the 10 mile course next week. 

My question is how do i prepare during this week, i usually go for 2 or 3 six mile jogns during the week. Should i keep doing this. I have a half marathon on Dec 1st so i dont want to ease up on my training. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Derek, good start on the training program.

I'm also doing a 10miler next week image I've been doing regular training like you but a little different.

This is what I've been told to do.....keep up the weekly training etc, include some interval/speed training mid week (up to you length of distance etc) but must be faster than normal pace with rest intervals in between each sprints etc.

Add some hill training to mix it up a bit, to train the legs etc.

keep a nice long run for the weekend at a slower pace (preferably longer than 10miles)

Keep up to date with what the body's saying to you ie the breathing, muscle twitches etc. don't want any injuries to hinder your efforts.

It's up to you how you go about it but for improvements, in my opinion you need to mix it up instead of the same 6milers etc this will make you improve faster and make you feel good at how you've improved

Hope this helps image