Sunday 7th October 2012

Morning

Lyrics - Children behave

Nice day for it here - hope chickadee has similar good conditions - looking forward to the report. Hope you nail that sub 3.30!

Anyone else racing today?

What:           well, just for a change, nothing
Why:            the usual, shan't bore you
Last hard:     looking at the scales after a week of inactivity
Last rest:     6/10

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• What: possibly kayaking this afternoon

Why: haven't been on the water for a while.

Last hard: 30th

Last rest Friday

Bright day here but,cool NW wind

Chickadee hope all goes well today
  • Morning!

Thick mist here! Hope it is clearer in Chester where I know a few who are running the marathon there. Talking of which, go, Chick, go.
    And if memory serves me right, go, Wabo, also.
    Look forward to the reports.

Lyrics: I'm sure I should, but no!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Blisters - mot not M.O.T. mot = wife/ girlfriend/ other half/ her indoors!!

Chick - run those little legs off.

wabo et all - ditto.

Long spin today. One problem - wind from South East - that means that i cant head out into the wind and fly home (I would get very wet)#

LMH - Its time to start getting yourself together!!

• What 15.75
    Why Taper LSR
    Lyrics Maybe

• I want to Paddy believe me but I can't afford to make myself any more ill or I shan't even be making the start line. Feeling cautiously optimistic and hoping to try a little something tomorrow but a full blown asthma attack and steroids at this stage would almost certainly mean a DNS -and I started another course of antibiotics today.

Beautiful day here and I so want to be out doing - it's bright, sunny and still.

• Paddy: Hope you made it back before the rain

LMH: Cautiously optimistic = image

Chick: Go Girl

What: 1.6K swim set done, 10K trot when  I get home
    Why: Ticking over
    Last Hard: Wednesday
    Last Rest: 11 days

Lyrics: Maybe 

• Lyrics: Yep!

What: Slowly motivating myself to get to the gym. Still basking in the glory of getting Glastonbury tickets this morning!
    Why: Would like a run but trying to ease back in due to a niggly knee.
    Last Hard: Parkrun yesterday (with no knee brace, whoops).
    Last Rest: Friday.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Ggem: congrats on the Glasto tickets. Me, I'll rollup the front room carpet, block up the toilet, buy a few veggieburgers and watch it on TV.

Chick: Dig in there!

LMH: things sound a bit more promising today. Just d.o what you feel you can for the next few days.

Alehouse: Three days and counting.

I ran 10M at 7:47 pace this morning with only an occasional "stone in shoe" moment. Wore the wider sturdy trainers which seems a good current antidote to suspected neuroma. The trainers are NB620s and have 1101 miles on the clock!

Physio beckons this week.

Have a good day all.
  • I'ts time to come out of denial. The Sciatica is back!!! Had to turn back after 3 miles on the bike. Pain Pain Pain

Swimming only for the foreseeable.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Afternoon all
    Tom -  Hoping that your self diagnosis proves to be correct.
    GG - nice work with the glasters tickets, seems a bit early for them to be on sale..? However I'm with Tom: watching it from the sofa. I will try to recreate the warm cider bus though and sell myself something suspicious looking from the garden that are 'top drawer mushrooms, mate'....
    I think I'd find it too busy these days, thought it was mobbed when I used to go (on and off between '88 & '01) and reckon its doubled since then..
    Wonder how Chicka did..?
    DD - well done with the 10k
    Good long run postie & LmH I'll continue to send the healing vibes..

Popped out for an easy 4miler yesterday to see how the hamstring wouldhold up (fine as it turns out)
    So today - Basingstoke halfM. Pretty brutal course , despite being on roads there is a long hill at 3m, all downhill m5-m6, all uphill on a long drag m6-m8, then a very steep down &up at m9, before along downhill m10-m11.
    Target of sub 1h40, preferably 1.37ish (7:30 m/miles) so my 1:36:19 much better than I'd have hoped for, especially after the sore hammy this week. Maybe the enforced rest worked to my advantage?
    I reckon on the right course I'll be able to get below 1h30 again with some more training, so onwards and upwards. 
    As some old sage once said 'once a runner...'

Enjoy whats left of the weekend!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Good luck to Chick and Wabo hope all went/is going well

Yesterdays lyrics Telephone line - ELO

Southend 10km race report scroll to the bottom if you like its an epic

Been looking forward to this  usually one of my highlights of the year. But its a bit hit and miss with weather a bit like the girl with the curl. Sometimes its good, very very good. Sometimes its horrid.

Thankfully this year was good, though the last week or so didn't know what to expect weatherwise this year especially with it being a seaside race

But it was a gorgous day a bit chilly as i set out but the sun came out and hardly any wind, well none that i noticed

Made my way to the start saw some familiar faces club mates and others. I had a few goals mainly a seasons best. So that was 53:41 to beat which i got at the Mel Batty 10km back in late August. Secondly i want sub 52.

The start is always slow and congested due to the numbers so expected those opening kms to be slow but hadn't anticipated how slow so figured i'd have to work damn hard if i wanted those targets and play catch up

So 5:32 and 5:42. Oh bugger. Then  an army guy came past with a backpack made it look all easy, so much respect then 2 guys with him wearing vests with the Words "Go Hard or Go Home" on their back.
    Right i said  keep up with these fellas. A 4:40 3rd km oh shit way too fast. Oops but afterwards looking at Garmin maybe marker in wrong place or the one before  but i carried on the same keep with them one of them went ahead but still had the other to keep up with. Missed the 4th km marker so garmin recorded 7:50 for that mile. Still had the guy ahead of me. Often he'd open a gap but i soon came back 2:16 to the next marker the 5km point that is 4:54 km pace. So doing well.

BUT halfway in 26:02 i thought  my sub 52 min target blown  but of course forget about the slow first 2 kms and i'd easily make it up in the 2nd half though at the time i didn't think that

We come to the water station the 2 guys who'd come back together by now stopped to get a drink i took advantage and moved ahead  but they soon caught me and passed me and i tried to keep up again. I managed ok till the 6th km (5:15) Definitely losing it now just have to keep at it and just go for the seasons best. To add salt to the wounds the guys moved ahead and i couldn't keep up. Course kind of narrowed so less room to move about. 7th km in 4:51 (36:09) tried to do some mental arthmetic. But head couldn't do it see what i had to average the last 3km in. Wait till 8km and it will be easier it was But sod that was a 5:25km Buckle down now heard so many shouts for me/my club Dig in Right i say pass 10 people  just 10 thats all nothing else  so thats what i do first 3 or 4 was easy but had to dig deeper  to get  past then one or two pass me  so do i have to add an extra couple to my 10 of course i do That km 4:52. Thats much better one more km to do its going to hurt now 500m or so later i tell myself move your arms, your legs fo quicker then work those arms. Gawd where is that turn to get to finish all them ahead are going straight ahead, ios it there no its not. Finally they turn and i an see it. Heres the grass bit Try not to ber passed but i do  but crikey they come pass me like a couple of cannonballs
    Finish stop watch it tells me it took 51:18 Yes so excited  didn't expect that

splits
    5:32
    5:42
    4:40
    7:50 for a mile missed the 4km mark
    2:16 up to the 5th km (4:54pacing) halfway 26:02
    5:15
    4:51
    5:25
    4:52
    4:56

51:18

It wasn't till i got home even better. i find thats my  2nd fastest ever 10km set back in 2004. My pb was set in 2005. (49:51) But i feel confident or is it post race exuberance that sub 50 is back

• An understated race and performance there Dustin - well done.

Excellent Pammie and a great report too - that sub 50 sure looks doable!

Sorry to hear that Paddy.

Promising Tom - let's hope you've cracked it.

Yesterday I felt too ill to do anything, today I really want to do something so I shall count that as my 'wait until you're better and then wait one day more' and hope to be back at something (though it may just be 30 minutes easy) tomorrow.

Come on chickadeee - we're waiting!

• sorreeeee   image  I had to have steak & chips & proper beer first image

I did it!!!!!  3:29:15 - 17th lady, 4th in age group and LOVED it. Never felt so good in a marathon before. Will do proper race report tomorrow - it will be loooong image  Right now I'm just one very very happy sub 3:30 chick about to get very very drunk image

Thank you all for those good luck vibes - they worked a treat. Wind was tough in places but it was sunny and cold and I just had to harden up and deal with the wind as it wasn't going to go away.

Seems like a great day for racing - well done Pammie image Great confidence builder.

Hope wabo had a good day at the office too.

TTFN - back tomorrow

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH: sounds rather promising

Dustin: sounds like a good effort - over 15secs per mile quicker than anticipated, on a tough course. The good news on the hamstring should spur you forward - next stop 7:00 miling?

Pammie: Great report and what a pleasantly unexpected ending. Your "Gawd where is that turn to get to finish all them ahead are going straight ahead" struck a familiar chord with me! How great it would be to get back to 2005 levels of performance...this something you're going to have to do for me.

Chickadee.....do tell!
  • Fantastic chickadeee - enjoy those beers - you've earned them! What do you think made the difference this time?

• Evening!
    Nice one, Chick!
    Nice one, Pammie!
    Nice one, Dustin!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Dustin well done indeed a pleasant surprise yes lets get back under those targets again

Chick Well done to you as well a sub 3:30 lady well done indeed. Steak and Chips sounds nice

Tom sounds promising about the shoes hope the phsio goes well
    Ok do this 10km for Tom New years day will be the next best time as work Sundays now  so racing ill be limited unless i can find any saturday or weekday races

Official results in 51:22 but thats still ok 80th lady out of 499 and 28th out of 203 in my ae bracket. But go up to the next age group next year so promising

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Dustin - Nice half well done
    Pammie - Nice 10K well done
    Chick - Awesome mara well done

95 mins long run for me 11.6m

Take care

• Some good runing this weekend - well done to Dustin, Pammie and Chickadee!
    imageimageimage
    We'll still remember the promise of a race report tomorrow
    (even if you don't Chickadee! image)

I'm having a no running weekend image
    - today 8 miles kayaking in a sea which was a bit more lively than predicted (wind was more westerly than NW'ly).

• Excellent stuff Chickadee, look forward to a report. Great write-ups from Dustin & Pammie and glad that everyone came away from the weekend with positives.

I entered the Gin Pit 5 Mile. It was muddy, hilly, cold, wet and undulating, but I came home in 33.03, which McMillan has at 41.24 for 10k pace - and I definitely had it in me. Splits were all over the place (6.48, 6.04, 7.00, 6.35, 6.36) owing to the course profile but I'm really pleased with this ahead of XC season starting soon.

• And well done, 7D: I've heard that the Gin Pit course is a tough one. I don't think that you can relate it to a road 10k, though! You are making great progress at the moment. Looked at the results and saw that you beat two friends of mine...mind you, they are both over 80!!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hiya (again)
    thanks for the comments!
    Well done 7D, splits are fairly pointless in xc (imho), Pammie - brilliant stuff, ditto Chicka, looking forward to that report, but enjoy the celebrations!
    I would post my splits but stupidly hit erase all on the watch instead of save. doh!
    Pretty sure I was just under 61mins at 8miles , so the last 5 and a bit in abt 35-36 (7min/miling).
    Really enjoyed todays race and never hit the "I wanna stop" phase, so renewed optimism, just need to work harder & train smarter. Seriously thinking of Marlow & or Gosport HMs for a bit more race practice, but as I think I've said before will depend on kid's sports events!

ttfn. 

• Fantastic results day.

Brilliant sub 3:30, Chickadee
    Almost a pb, despite the lack of confidence, Pammie. I recognise that competitive spirit and the lung buster final km.
    Nice one, Dustin
    Great outing 7Daughters, I'd say that sort of course can only be compared against itself. If you've not run it before, then it's a PB.

For me, a domestic day. Completely dismantle all shower components and descale, with new mastic where necessary. I'm much happier about it now.
    Swimming with the Tri Team coached session. Focus tonight was on rotation and reach.

Oh yes. I might have mentioned. I have now made a commitment to 2013 and have entered "Challenge Henley". It's a 26.2 mile running race with a warm up of 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Chick: 3:29:15..............yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blisters: exellent work on the shower. Did mine six months ago...needs doing again...bloody hard water areas!

That 2.4M:112M:26.2M combo has an ominous sound to it.
  • Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

That sound?