'Mature' runners.

Comments

• OT, well done on your 9 miler! You've got the right attitude and if you keep up the good work, will do well at Brighton.

A nice bright morning but very cold, just 2 deg. Will be off soon for an 8 miler in the forest with some club mates. Hope there aren't too many fog patches, as they tend to lay low in the forest.

Have just been watching the London 2012 Triathlon, and it has put me in the right frame of mind to runimage

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I am officially cream-crackered!  Apparently I can't do a 10 mile xc run and then heavy digging in the garden all afternoon any more.  I cam getting old! image

My run this morning was a struggle, largely because I chose to go across the fields and along the riverbank.  On reflection this was ill-advised given the amount of rain we've had recently.  I squelched through fields of grass, struggled across ploughed fields with mud caked to my shoes and weighing a ton, waded through the water where the river had burst its banks and tried to circumnavigate the deep mud on the few footpaths that were passable!  There was a lot of walking and it took me 2 1/4 hours.

OT, I feel your pain but at least you kept going and finished your run.  Plenty of time to get your stamina levels up again.

TE, hope your run was pleasant.  We had some frost on the shady areas of grass this morning and it was jolly cold when I went out to the horses first thing.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

OT - were you really running on empty? - had you had breakfast?

Red - not surprised you were cream-crackered, trying to do heavy digging after you'd already done 10k heavy mud-carrying at foot level.

I had a lovely run this morning, though it was indeed cold and I was glad I'd worn gloves. 4.18 miles. Just misty enough to be magical, with the sun half-breaking through, a pale disc up there somewhere.

• Red, there is no way that I would attempt heavy digging after a tough muddy run. There were 3 of us on this mornings forest run, and we ran 10 miles, instead of the planned 8. It was bright and sunny, and after a very cold start, warmed up. The terrain was equally tough with deep mud, deep pools, squelchy grass etc. We also had to walk in many places.

Columba, I also wore gloves this morning, although after a while, didn't need them.

• JJ, congratulations, the cost of your Christmasses has just gone up !

Columba, i did in fact have breakfast, but the only regular running i have done is 4 and 5 miles, so to step up and push on further, particularly when i'm carrying a least a stone more than i would ideally like to, the stamina ain't there, yet !

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Congratulations to JJ and extended family!

Red - yesterday I discovered what "wild knitting" is. It seems to be randomly knitting all sorts of things together, in all sorts of styles, shapes, colours, to create something large and colourful. What was being created yesterday was a large banner, to be displayed at next year's Victorian Festival (this town has an annual Victorian festival). Somebody showed me how to do "finger knitting", and I produced a long, narrow piece of pink knitting which will be used as part of the edging for the banner.

What particularly pleased me was that I'd taken along the knitted squares that my mother produced in the last year or so of her life, when she could only handle really large needles and thick wool. I hoped they might be useful; and they were immediately picked up by the "wild knitters" and incorporated into the banner.

(Sorry about the above, which won't be of much interest to non-knitters)

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Dreary, wet day here.  I'm going to have to get up really early tomorrow to do a treddy run as I'm off into London town for what could be an exciting meeting with DeNDRoN who are trying to set up a database of people with Dementia and their carers with a view to them being part of clinical trials and research studies.

OT, I rarely eat before running as I believe that it encourages your body to utilise fat as its fuel source sooner.  I always used to eat beforehand but it didn't suit me and I often felt lardy and lethargic.  We're all different though.

JJ many congratulations and welcome to Emilia Grace.  With such a beautiful name she will have a wonderful life image

Columba, 10 miles, not 10k, thank you very much!!!  Aha, so they've tried to create a new genre - it's been around for donkey's years in the guise of 'freeform' needle art and was usually applied to freeform crochet (Google 'Prudence Mapstone' for some fab examples).  Lovely that some of your mum's knitting could be utilised.  I often combine things made by mum with my own creations, especially in homewares - I've just made a peg bag using some old embroidered tea-tray mats.

• JJ, congratulatons on your new Grand Daughter!

A cold, miserable day today, with no sign of yesterdays sun. Did an easy pace 5 miles this morning in steady rain.

• Beautiful day here in Derbyshire...........as it was yesterday, though went Blackberry picking with family after running nine miles and got accused of being grumpy and getting old!!! Not sure what I did!!!! Not many blackberries, not enough sun this year, we usually get loads on the Edge but not many this year, they were like bullets or over soft and small. Cycled to work today. Back to running tomorrow doing about 25 miles a week and wondering what to do next. Any suggestions for a northerner not wanting to travel too far??

• Congrats JJ on your new bundle of joy Emilia Grace - what a lovely name!

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Mark, OT should be able to help as he's not a million miles away from you.  Never pick blackberries after Michelmas as they have Devil's spit on them! image   We've had a really good crop this year but the apples and pears have been a disaster.

On that note, my crabapple tree is flowering again.  Silly tree!

• Hello Mark, Worksop half marathon in Notts on 28th october won't be too far away for you perhaps.

No running today work got in the way, again.

Redhead, i did have a light breakfast 2 hours before i ran as usual.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - 10 miles rather than 10k? - that makes you even cream-crackereder!

I'm a bit cautious about running any appreciable distance, or doing anything ultra-energetic like lots of hill reps, on an empty stomach, as I have been known to come over faint and dizzy towards the end of the session.

I hadn't heard that about blackberries. When is Michaelmas, and why does the devil wait until after it to spit on them? And had you heard the Old Wives' Tale about sowing parsley seed on Good Friday?

Been swimming.

• I always eat before training or racing. I leave 3 hours if racing, and 2 hours for training. I have never attempted any session on an empty stomach.

• Nice day oop ere in Yorkshire, although in York, some of the roads are still affected with flood water, the ground is that saturated its just not soaking away.

Spending the day doing some paperwork for my 27 year old son who is at last leaving home and buying is own house, Mrs OT feels sad after all he's her little boy ! I say Yipeeeee..............

After which its tuesday and its footie night.

• It's been pouring with rain all day and no sign of it abating. We have a pyramid session this evening, which probably means another soaking.

• Nice day here, just run a 10k up the Monsal Trail and back to the office. 46.45 mins avoiding dogs and walkers, cyclists but the hammies are sore now sat at the desk trying to work...............One down and two to go in my house as far as getting them to leave home................image

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - I googled Prudence Mapstone and spent some time admiring some of the beautiful things she's made. They all seem dependent on crochet rather than knitting, or at least as well as knitting, so are beyond me.

Running club run tonight. Warm-up, then various circuits up and down hills in town. 4 times round for the speedy ones, 3 times for most of the rest, twice for me and one other lady. Totally dark by the time we'd finished.

• Swimming for us last night - I did 2000m, John did an extra 400m. Felt very sluggish and slow.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Very exciting yesterday and another step nearer to setting up an on-line register of dementia sufferers and their carers.  It's taken 3 years from the initial idea being mooted at the Dementia summit I attended at the Royal Society but at least it's moving forward now image

Columba, her work is gorgeous isn't it.  You can do just the same with knitting as well.  In folklore, Michaelmas Day falls at the end of September  or beginning of October (can't remember which) and is the day that Satan was banished from Heaven.  He apparently landed in a bramble thicket and cursed it and spat on the fruits!!!!  As with most old wives' tales it probably came about 'cos blackberries get maggoty later in the season making the blackberries look white, YUK!

OT, he may be moving out but that will just mean more DIY for you at his new place image

Treadmill for me soon - a pyramid session.

• Columba, sounds like a similar session to ours last night. It had been raining hard all day, and didn't ease up until we were running back to base. We did a pyramid session round a 0.42 mile loop, comprising 1,2,3,3,2,1 loops. My times were :- 3.15, 6.17, 9.43, 9.52,6.23,3.11. This was just over 5 miles of 5k pace efforts, and total mileage was 8.7. We had a 1 minute walk recovery between each pyramid. A very tough session, but guaranteed to spice up the fast twitch fibres and assist endurance.

Bright and sunny this morning and will soon be off for a very slow 4 mile recovery run. Forecast for Sunday is wet and windy, so sounds similar to conditions encountered during the New Forest Half Marathon.

BIW, good that you have been able to keep up your fitness through swimming, and I imagine shouldn't be long before you can start running again?

Red, you are doing great work for the dementia sufferers and their carers, and should have been nominated to carry an Olympic Torch!

• TE, I was told 6 months and I'm taking that literally, so I will run again on the 20th of December! The kind of implant I have is designed for sports people, not fixed with screws or cement, the bones, ligaments and muscles have to grow back around it.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

TE - that WAS a tough session!

JJ - head torches not necessary, because although "it" was dark, we were running in town where the street lighting was on. Not much of it, but enough.

Red - that story makes perfect sense! It was Michael the archangel who threw Satan out of heaven, so no wonder it was Michaelmas. 

Really good about the register of dementia suffers. It should allow a complete overview and facilitate research.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Yesterday's treddy session was a slog so today I'm off for a squelchy xc run at some stage; probably when it's started to rain!  I'm waiting to see if the farrier gets here before the heaven's open but I'm not hopeful.

TE, thank you, but you are too kind.  Your pyramid session sounded jolly tough.

Columba, I'd forgotten about archangel Michael.  It all makes sense now image

JJ, awwwh, so sweet.  Mrs JJ still looks amazing too.

• JJ, lovely pictures!

Another horrible rainy day, and another slow 4 miler later this morning. The forecast for Sunday is still wind and rain, and the Club are worried that the field where we park for the race could become waterlogged.