Hilly courses in Nottingham

Hi,

After ballsing up my Outlaw registration, I've decided to do IMUK- I am rubbish at hills and so need to do some good hill training on the bike and run- anyone know any good hilly courses in Nottingham that will help in my training? I will prob go up to Bolton a few times as my sister lives there but need something in Nottingham comparable or preferably harder to prepare my self.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Chris - you'll get a place in Outlaw if you want one, just stick your name on the waiting list.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Little Miss, I have hun- how likely do you think it is I'll get on? The waiting list is quite long I hear.

• I'd say pretty much certain - they were offering places at very frequent intervals last year and even then lots of people on the waiting list didn't take them up so they passed further and further down the list. If you email them and ask they'll probably tell you where on the list you are. If you think about it there's no way this far out people can know that they're going to be ok to race next July, once you think that you might not the sooner you withdraw the more refund you get so there's an incentive for people to make a decision rather than just leave it. I expect people will start changing their minds and places becoming availbale early in the new year.

Not sure where in Nottingham you are, I'm in Derby so when I want hills I head out into the Peaks.

• when I did the great notts bike ride this year there was a horrible hill - I think it was near plumpton - I'll have a little look back at my garmin data and see if I can find it!

• think it might be plumtree!

• I guess I could wait until new year before signing up for Imuk- I hear it never sells out so should be ok. Yes peaks are quite hilly. Did a few rides to Derbyshire last winter do you have a specific route?

Thanks matchstick.
  • Not really chris - I tend to navigate by nose. Out to Chatsworth is good or off towards Carsington Water - the duathlon route from there is very good, that might be on the Ashbourne duathlon website - up Middleton Top and Via Gellia, out towards Ashbourse, there are some good climbs out of Belper too.

• http://www.punishingevents.com/ashbourne_duathlon_run_map19.htm

There you go - if you start with a lap of that and build it up you'll have a good base. There is also the Leicestershire Super Tour route http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-hope-against-cancer-leicestershire-supertour.html my husband used that  a lot this year when training for L'Alpe

• No idea about location. However events are filling up quickly I guess on the back of the Olympics. FF reckoned that suddenly it'll be Jan 1st and a lot of people will panic and drop out. Plus there will be lots of injuries. 30 weeks is a long time to stay injury free.

• Thanks Little Miss they look like good rides to get the legs in shape for the pain to come image.

Cat/Miss do you know how many dropped out last year? I couldn't believe how quick it sold out! Will give it until Jan, then it will have to be IMUK.

• I know they were still offering places to people on the waiting list in June.

If I were you, and it's Outlaw that you really want to do, I'd email at the time you need to be making a decision and see where you are on teh list, if you're in the top fifty at that point I don't thing there'll be any doubt that you'd get a place.

• Chris like little miss I would say head out towards the peaks mate you can get loads of hill's in. Head towards matlock or if you don't mind traffic the A61 into Chesterfield is a good way to get about but does have a few trucks on it. It's not a road I would use much through so sure you can find better ones. I've done the reverse a few times to get down to the water sports centre and found cycling one way and then getting the train back as a option useful mate and you can get a direct train from sheffield and chesterfield. All depends how many miles you want to get in. If you shout before hand and fancy it might even join you. image

• Thanks guys. Nice one Cake will do.