I go the Turbo Trainer... So what next?

After a good search on here of past threads and taking the recommendations I have purchased an Elite Crono...  Turbo but what next?  Do I need a special training plan? Tyres? or DVD?

What would you fab folks recommend?

Many thanks

BWT

Comments

• What are you training for ?  

Dependant on your answer whichever plan you are following for your goal will give you the sets for your turbo sessions

If you have just brought one for fitness then pick a plan that is manageable but challenging

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

10 mins warm up

20 mins 85-90% of max

5 mins easy

20 mins 85-90% of max

cool down

• A turbo tyre, the proper front wheel rest, a stand for your cup of tea and the remote, Box set DVDs and a TV/DVD player

• old paperback for the front wheel, , towel to catch sweat, gaffer tap to stop sweat running down your ahead set.....
    search the web for example turbo programs,
    Going long has a 8 week progressive set.
    Endurance corner has lots of others as well.

• You can plan your own sets or search for a suitable one here;

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

• Garmin + TrainerRoad. Oh, and a bucket of sawdust. image

• Start saving old towels.

Suggest to the Household Finance Manager that the ones in the bathroom are getting a bit thin, and that some nice new fluffy ones are needed. Sorted.

Out of curiosity, can I ask where you bought the Elite Crono fluid turbo? I was starting to look at getting one too.

• Sufferfest videos are great. 

I just joined trainerroad.com - hoping that is great too.

You can use them together for double great.

• Foggy's 2*20 session is a good one - though I generally do the 20 minute blocks as hard as I can sustain (if I'm a bit tired I might set a lower target) using power rather than heart rate - not sure how that matches up on intensity to Foggy's 85-90% mhr.

One thing to beware of if you do use heart rate is the bpm will probably drift up during the 20 minute blocks - so if you keep heart rate constant you are actually gradually slacking off - try and use rear wheel speed or power if you can or else allow for HR drifting up by upping the level maybe 2 beats every 5 minutes.    I would build up to that though - either by doing a shorter session or else a lower intensity - you've got all winter.   

A fan is pretty much essential for indoor - I train in the garage at night in winter and it's still easier with a fan.   As above don't skimp protecting the bike from sweat - it will destroy your headset and anything else.   I just use an mp3 player - I'm working too hard to watch a DVD - and stick a mirror in front or to the side (I've only got one mirror !) just to check position sometimes.   

Big tips are keep it simple and don't try for too much too soon - as you get used to it you'll be able to go deeper.

ps - little picture which suggest Foggy is spot on with his heart rate range http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/ASimmons/HRResponseAPITTI.png

• Get a big tall fan to cool you.
  • Must admit Cougie, I tend to go garage when it's minus whatever and no fan. Though Garmin records a 5 degree rise in temperature when I am in there! LOL.

Anyone else use a fan?

• Blisters I got it from Wiggle...  Missed out on an extra 10% off by 1 day image

Meldy - I am training (I use that word advisedly as I seem to be shocking at doing the actual Training) for a faster sprint tri and Maybe an Oly distance Tri next year - Ultimate aim...  lose weight!

I will try the towel line with the Household Manager - not that she needs and excuse to buy new towels!

And will I really need a fan...  in the cold garage?

• Thanks for the ideas so far...  Any more keep them coming.

• I use a fan.. but I have only used my turbo in the warm weather so far. I honestly think I will need a fan no matter how cold it gets. I think there is a big difference between 'cold' weather and 'moving air' to dry you - I sweat like a monster on the turbo.

• ps you won't die without a fan so try it first without one and then if you think you need one later buy one. Just have a towel at hand whatever image

• Bright White Trainers wrote (see)

After a good search on here of past threads and taking the recommendations I have purchased an Elite Crono...  Turbo but what next?  Do I need a special training plan? Tyres? or DVD?

What would you fab folks recommend?

Many thanks

BWT

Can't belief that everyone has forgotton the obvious.............before all the rest you will need a bike....you won't get much benefit from just standing on the turboimage

• F.oggy wrote (see)

An article which explains theory of 2x 20 mins.

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/functhresh.htm

Really good article. Thanks for sharing - clear and easy to understand. The Trainerroad guys have you do an FTP test at the beginning and all of their workouts are scaled to your particular FTP. As your FTP changes (you retest every 6-8 weeks) the workout difficulty level is scaled to changes in your FTP. Now I actually understand what FTP is image

• I've got a couple of the Spinervals DVDs with 40 to 50 minutes sessions on them.
    Definitely have something to watch while your on the turbo and something to play them with. I use a laptop with an external speaker attached as even on maximum volume the turbo drowns out the laptop speakers.

• I use sports headphones.

• Khanivore, get the Allen and Coggan book "Training and racing with a power meter". It makes even more sense.

• If you have an old bike you can leave on the turbo it helps, it doesn't need to be roadworthy, for a while I used one that had only one functioning gear and just changed the resistance on the turbo at I went along.  No need to get quite so worried about corroding the headset either.

Some road tyres work well on a turbo, others just melt.  If you use a turbo tyre you'll need to swap the tyre (or the whole wheel) before taking your bike back on the road.

• Disagree with that link on 2*20s -  they are traditionally done at 100% ftp - in other words 2 work intervals of 20 minutes each done at what you could sustain (and I take that to mean in a race with all the motivation that entails) for an hour.   In other words pretty much as hard as you can manage in a garage without the extra motivation of a number on your back.

85% ftp is a much easier session - maybe a good starting point but you could do a lot longer and get a greater training load in at that level - if 2*20 of that is your hard session then you wont make many gains imo.   

Further discussion and different points of view here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/2x20s%3B_What_Percentage_of_FTP_P3755527

• Isn't 85% of FTP sweetspot?

• Ironcat - i don't have a power meter. I will be training with the virtual power generated by trainerroad.com. I plan to just follow their routines.

• Khanivore wrote (see)

Ironcat - i don't have a power meter. I will be training with the virtual power generated by trainerroad.com. I plan to just follow their routines.

It is still 'power', and you're still training to a percentage of a number generated in a max test. So long as the number is repeatable it doesn't matter if it's accurate, watts or whats (official unit of virtual powerimage) It's worth a read alone to know why you're given the routine and what it is doing to you.

I can't remeber who said it, but I think there is an element of truth in the "ask yourself what the purpose of the day's session is".

popsider wrote (see)

Yes

Just had a quick recap. SS is 88-94%, so 85 would be tempo/near SS. Not a bad place to be in. Allen et al suggest SS as one of the most beneficial places to train. My legs can't handle 2 FTP workouts in a week, with all the other stuff included, so one of my turbos will be SS from now on.

Will read the ST article.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Turbo doesnt have to be complicated, I dont have a power meter, or anything to look at other than the garage door, I do use a HRM now to keep my effort honest though.

I have a few different sessions that span 60 to 90mins that I'm happy to share if anyone wants (I'm not a great cyclist though !). I struggle to get my HR up outdoors so Turbo is a good option for me, and I dont bother to ride outdoors unless I have more than 90mins available.

• Depends on your budget and space limitations.

I have a bent steel framed bike that lives on the turbo. Speeds up session start/end. If you have a spare bike/wheel then a turbo tyre is worth it to save the wear on a road tyre and they are quietier IMHO.

Also saves the road bike from sweat and more lost time washing it.

I have just splashed out on a big home cinema amp from ebay. With careful buying you can get an older 5-channel home cinema amp that would have been £1000-£2000 for £100. Couple of big speakers and the garage can rival a spinning studio for noise.

TV Screen is next on the list!

Somewhere to stick drinks/food.

Sessions to do. Tacx have some printable sessions on their website that would work with any turbo trainer.