Running - by cruise ship!

2»

Comments

• Fab, just running the idea round with a couple of cruise companies!

• Im watching with interest image sounds like a great idea

• Hi Minnie,

One idea I,m kicking about after the Moonwalk up here in Edinburgh is a seperate womens event, possibly with a charity angle, a morning running around the fjords followed by an afternoon in the spa!

Over to you ladies - if "likey" let me know!

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    No charadee stuff.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Eight days on a ship with 800 people - no thanks.  image

With 800 people including childrenimage

Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

Sounds like a great idea for the wintery months when running in good ol' blighty isn't as nice. ..

It's dark for a lot of the time in Norway in the winter (and it's often very cold, too).  Plus, Tigerspaw's experiences of the weather in the North Sea would put me off, if I weren't already!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    gary donaldson wrote (see)

Hi Minnie,

One idea I,m kicking about after the Moonwalk up here in Edinburgh is a seperate womens event, possibly with a charity angle, a morning running around the fjords followed by an afternoon in the spa!

Over to you ladies - if "likey" let me know!

Women only events - is there a "hatey" option?  (and definitely forget a charity angle!)

• definately summer months probably avoiding school holidays!

• Wilkie wrote (see)

Eight days on a ship with 800 people - no thanks.  image

With 800 people including childrenimage

Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

Sounds like a great idea for the wintery months when running in good ol' blighty isn't as nice. ..

It's dark for a lot of the time in Norway in the winter (and it's often very cold, too).  Plus, Tigerspaw's experiences of the weather in the North Sea would put me off, if I weren't already!

My comment was about the thought of running in a nice sunny country further south during the winter (or at least any country sunnier than England) - should've put that in my comment really...

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

That does make it more appealing, Sonic (shame about the other 800 people though!)

• Yip, there is always the option of looking at somewhere warm/sunny in the winter but unlike my idea of sailing nice and fresh from an uk port it will involve flying..... Canaries is nearest and cheapest - maybe not as scenic as fjords though!

I,m glad to explore any ideas!

Regarding the other 800 onboard, you will probably hardly notice them as they will be busy doing the normal "cruisey" activities!

• Mmm personally Id rather enter mixed event than ladies only ones. That said apart from race for life Ive not done any ladies only runs 

• Avoiding school holidays will exclude loads of families. How about a half term trip in the spring?

I'd be interested but I'd need to take the family and would be interested in any facilities for kids clubs etc.
  • What I also could do with is a bit of feedback on is who will be in the cabins ie runners sharing with friends who are also runners or will it be a family affair - this is quite important as if its the consensus that the family will come it determines both the ship and departure date - the whole holiday really! Singles normally pay up to 100% supplement on cruise ships by the way!

• having seen the adverts before Downton Abbey (yes I like a period drama, even if it is just Dynasty in period costume, as my gf suggests) I can't think of any holiday I'd like less than a cruise.

• Ok guys, got one of the cruise lines interested, and its a fab one!

Holland America's Ryndam leaving Dover ( free parking) for 7 nights on 13 July 2013.

Day at sea, Bergen, Molde, Flam, Eidfjord, Day at Sea.

Fantastic medium sized 5 star ship (with kids facilities and spa)

Some incredibly scenic running opportunities!

Now looking for a sponsor/partner to come onboard for the first ever UK Runners Cruise!

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Sorry middle of UK Track and Field Season

Also would be thinking of going somewhere warm when cold here.