Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all. * Real life is not half as interesting as, err, unreal life, DV...*

Karen, don't sweat the small stuff...the running/cut-offs/cost etc..when you can spend hours over the ' Will-I-buy-the-2013-thread-dress-or-not? question. Yer-Maj stole the show, 2012, in her wonderful frock! Look here   See the subtle prints with a million Eiffel Towers on red/black or pink? Current thinking is that the black/white option is too subtle...image What do you think, DLR? ( style icon and cult figure, fashion-wise...)

Welcome to the thread, Clag. Get a Saltire vest and enjoy the crowd approval.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

ATM it has to be the red.  DLR is having the pants made up to wear over his shorts....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@ATM- do we have a thread competition for the best/worst dressed?

• Options

Forthcoming Events

Cardiff Half Marathon - 14th October 2012
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    hitman hitman
    yer_maj

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - 14th October 2012
    Dannirr

Cologne Half Marathon - 14th October 2012
    Emmy_H

Amsterdam Marathon - 21st October 2012
    AliM78
    Chownsie
    Kaz
    KO'S
    LeedsRob
    Neil Belgium
    Radar Sal
    Simon MacD
    Stray Runner
    Running Rodent
    Emmy_H

Birmingham Half Marathon - 21st October 2012
    James B73

Himmelbjerglobet - 28th October 2012
    SP13

Marine Corps Marathon Washington DC - 28th October 2012
    Tarten Pimpernel

RunToTheBeat Half Marathon - 28th October 2012
    The JimBob

New York Marathon - 4th November 2012
    Stephen63

Foxy@40 Marathon - 9th November 2012
    Emmy_H

Conwy Half Marathon - 18th November 2012
    James B73

Luton Marathon - 18th November 2012
    NGUG

The Grim - 1st December 2012
    yer_maj

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The Grim sounds like quite a race image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

If you go to the website, on the home page is a slideshow of a few of last year's photos - ours is the 5th one I think image

It's not a race to be taken at all seriously...it's a fun run before we all start marathon training again

• Options

Yer_maj:  1 december is my wedding anniversary, 22 years!!!  Will be donning glad rags and lk bennetts as off to a Winter Ball, image.

Emmy : thanks for the edinburgh tip, haven't found anyone with a good word to say about the marathon in edinburgh, looks like 2014 with be Paris for my 50th yearimage.

TD:  now with the direct flights to Paris from here Easter shopping trip with Miss PF is definitely on the cards ......  Note to self, must remember cheering leading pom pomsimage 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

@ Emmy. Nah, the dress code for the pub is...er...medals. Although the go-faster red nail varnish might get another outing on the course..

• Options
    James B 73 wrote (see)

NGUG is probably gonna get right fed up.

I am doing the Birmingham Half Marathon on 21st October 2012 and the Conwy Half Marathon on 18th November 2012.

My quest for a sub 2 hour half marathon continues with doing 12 miles in 1 hour 44 mins last friday.

Looks good at momoment but I am sure something will happen.

JB_73: YOU WILL DO IT ( he waved his hand accross in the style of "they're not the droids you're looking for" - last year at RTTB i broke my two hour on the 30th attempt at a half in the last 10 years. I didnt look at my watch for ages - was just motoring along and they have a half distance marker which i went through in 1.01. The second half the race is quicker than the first (unlike GNR) so i kept going well and looked at my watch as i went the the 12 marker - it said 1.50. I dug deep and got through the last 1.1 and finish time was 1.59.44. it was a relief and was a bit of a "thing/barrier" as i'd kept getting 2 dead or 2.02 / 2.03 at various events.

At 1.44 on 12 you will come in at 1.55 maximum (unless you decide to walk) and won't have to cut it fine.  Ive since beaten my pb easily and will try to beat it again in a few weeks so it really was a mental thing for a long time . GOOD LUCK NAMESAKE! image

• Options
    Princess Fiona wrote (see)

TD:  now with the direct flights to Paris from here Easter shopping trip with Miss PF is definitely on the cards ......  Note to self, must remember cheering leading pom pomsimage 

Fiona, I think whatever you wear for Cheerleading, get a second one and I'll join you. I've got skinny hips and an under-developed sense of shame and I'm always up for making some noise and a fool of myself. image

ATM wrote (see)

@ Emmy. Nah, the dress code for the pub is...er...medals. Although the go-faster red nail varnish might get another outing on the course..

Honestly ATM. The amount of times now we've told you to wear more than just your medal and nail varnish to the after race drinks... I don't care if that is OK in Greenock.... this is Paris! image

And turning lastly to the subject of running. Did about 13½k in glorious sunshine this lunchtime - garmin battery died just before I finished. But I did manage to get my 10K done in 40:48, so it's a lump of time off (I think I did a 42:58 a month or so ago). Still a bit rubbish compared to the 35 mins I did back in Jan/Feb on a treadie.

Unfortunately my knee is very sore now. I think that Baker's Cist is starting to grow again. I can feel the swelling and a growing sense of discomfort. image

• Options

Td- Take care.

PF - Do you have any idea what date Paris 2014 is??? I was supposed to be going to New York with the youngsters then, but due to the cost I think that it will have to be post-poned and a family outing to Paris for my 40th. Did think about going to spain to visit a friend but it doesn't have the same appeal....

DLR - haha

I think that my spate of accidents must be over(or at least I hope!!).

• Options

And for those discussing sub 2 halfs. I have never run a 12 miles training run in 1.44, but my half PB is 1.44.08, which was done 3 days after an 18 mile lsr???

Clag - Where abouts are you from?? I agree there is a distinct lack of Scottish races especially in the North.

• Options

kaz1 - my pb was 2.05 in liverpool (which happened to be my first one). My next two were plagued by injury.

I have been carrying out the ulitmate training schedule for sub 2 hours virtually to the letter. i have noticed the difference.

But I have a problem, I just can't resist running quicker than I should in my training runs.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@TD - Get well soon - i hope that it's not the issue growing back image

@Kaz1 - Well done on the run!!

@ATM - I'm definitely sure I can bring out my lucky nail varnish for the day!

Hope everyone else is doing ok and training well! Not too long until applications open!

• Options

James - Stop running training runs quicker!!! Save the speed for tempo and intervals sessions only, do the rest nice and easy. My training run pace is about 9.30 - 10mm depending on how I am feeling and the weather, terrain etc. I have only ran 2 halfs, the first 1.52 and the second 1.44. But I do lots of slow easy running?? I am sure there will be someone along to give you better advise soon!!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

I've got an under-developed sense of shame

Have you *met* my husband...?

Watch that knee now....

• Options

PF:2014  its a 'big year' for me but I am ignoring it, can't imagine it just now - seems so far away image

TD: I don't think I can stand of the side lines, may just jog around getting ready for London - I have a few weeks to decide image

YM: by the time you are ready for Paris next year you will be wearing the hot pants version of your natty dress, you and ATM could be twinsimage

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm I don't think the world is ready for me in hotpants image

I had my Go Faster haircut earlier.  My hairdresser split from his long term girlfriend a few months ago and he's obviously hit the "back on the market" stage.  He was lamenting an Encounter he'd had last week with a 42 year old woman (he's 32)....He was very disappointed because she'd clearly failed to match whatever expectation he had of older women in his head.  For once in my life I kept very, very quiet....

However, his frustrations were taken out on my hair because I now have one hell of an undercut image

• Options

kaz1 - and here's me thinking that it is doing me good, when in fact it may not be.

7 miles slow tonight then!

• Options

Dannirr..   she has given me the phone number for her colleague who will be at the finish..  I will pass this to ATM..  she has asked to be kept up to date with progress and they will make an annoucement as we approach the finish...  local TV and press will also be notified...

• Options

yer_maj...  what is your hairdresser on...?    There is nothing sexier than a MILF over 35...!   Women just get better and better with age...  I would much rather date a 45 yr old than a 25 yr old...  (errm...  subject to written consent from Mrs DV..!!)

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

He's a 32 year old man...who has recently split up with a girl 10 years younger than him.  I suspect he had images of Mrs Robinson in his head and didn't get what his fantasy had delivered....

He thinks I'm as old as Methuselah image

• Options

The pertinent bit of information missing in your last expression of opinion DV, is your own age - all these things are relative you know image

From your love of running you must be between 32 and 35 years of age.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

So now you have a dodgy knee as well TD- What are going to be like at 50?

Yer maj- sorry I missed your querstion. In my long runs I'm just taking a drink. When I get up to really big miles (e.g 20+) next Feb I may take a gel or a shot blocks on my long run. I've tried them all, no particular preference.  

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mr Maj no 1 was 5 years younger than me.  The current Mr Maj is 8 years older.  I was 27 when I met no 1 and 33 when I met no 2, having never had a relationship with a man older than me.  I know which one I preferimage

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm I might give shotblocks a go when training for Paris - I like the High 5 gels and so does my stomach but no matter what I do, I seem to get sticky which annoys me!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Yer_maj-  I'd give jelly cubes (rowntrees) a go...they're the same as cliff shot bloks and cheaper.

• Options

I've always had a thing for older men!!image Girlz dad is 13 years older than me, and future Mr Kaz 9 years older.

YM - I was just about to offer to send you shot bloks(about 10 packs) but on a quick check they are past there date! oops!

I prefer jelly beans. Much easier on my delicate stomach!image

• Options

Just caught up with everyone's posts and advice re: Paris - thanks guys x

Will seriously look at Paris then - what is this medical certificate they ask for?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Karen - everybody has to have one, it's just a one page form signed by your GP to say you're fit to run.  It does have to be signed and stamped by the surgery though or it'll be rejected.

Some GPs will charge to do it - some won't if you are running for charity.  I took a different approach - booked an appointment so my GP could actually meet me before he signed it, in the meantime suffered a nasty dose of norovirus and went to the appointment when still feeling pretty ill.  GP was so appalled that he signed with lightening speed and kicked me out without charging me before I infected half of Cardiff image