Could I make it?

Hey guys, 

I come to you with a question, I picked up running about 4 months ago now and have seen rapid improvments in how I feel and my actual running ability.

I started from nothing, not even being able to run 100 meters without getting out of breath, and now I am sub 30 on my weekly parkruns. 

I would like to know, if you think it is possible for me to achieve a level of fitness where I could be a top contender in my local races and also to achieve greater things beyond that. And also how long you think is a realistic time goal for me to achieve that. 

I am willing to work my butt off, 7 days a week if thats what is needed. My life is not busy, I am working part time and still have time to train any day I please for any amount of time.

I know this probably looks like another "I will make it to the olympics in 4 years time" thread, and I know I am not kidding myself. It will be a long road, but I want to achieve my goals. I'm not aiming that high, as thats silly. I would have needed to start way younger or have been a child prodigy. 

I am still relatively young (19) so I guess my body could take a beating and still be ok. 

What resources would I need if I where to undergo this journey? Off the top of my head is probably a coach and regular visits to a track?

My aim is to race 5000m and 10000m simply because I feel that those are the most realistic distances for me to become "semi-elite" in. 

I appreciate any advice given, from anyone, I just hope tht people don't come in and say "you can;t do that" because I can.

Cheers

Comments

• you don't say how long you've been running or what your average weekly mileage is. If you're serious about improving, then just upping the miles (slowly and steadily, whilst paying attention to any aches and pains) is a good start. Join a local running club (google "running club" + your town, or ask the people you run the parkruns with) rather than pay for a 1-2-1 coach at this stage, and see what progress you make.

Good luck

• Join a running club so you can train with faster people, and see where you go from there.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jake Long wrote (see

I would like to know, if you think it is possible for me to achieve a level of fitness where I could be a top contender in my local races and also to achieve greater things beyond that. And also how long you think is a realistic time goal for me to achieve that. 

Jake, contender in local races? Very possibly if you put in years of very committed mileage.

Higher than that, ie national standard? Hugely unlikely if 30mins for a park run is your improved version. Those guys probably were doing 16-17mins your time into running.

However, with a club, a coach, the right willing, there's no reason you can't have a great time getting that 30mins down to sub 20 at least.

Jake Long wrote (see)

I come to you with a question, I picked up running about 4 months ago now

AgentGinger wrote (see)

you don't say how long you've been running

This made me laugh. Come on Ginge, he said it in his first proper sentence!

• Reach the top of a hill maybe.....

• Thanks for the quick replies and great advice, I think you hit the nail on the head Stevie, I would love to be a "contender" locally and realise that much higher than that is most probably unachievable, due to my circumstances and late start. 

Joining a club is right at the top of my list of things to do, and I am looking in to which one would be best for me.

Once again guys really appreciate the tips!