Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Ha ha - nice one yer_maj!

So where would everyone recommend for cheap accom in Paris for next year's marathon then? And what is the weather usually like for the Paris marathon?

• you guys image ... give me anyone who can make me laugh till I cry and I am smitten, they can be any age they want (although over 16 would be nice), I work with some young folk that are old before their time and some old folk that are still young.  I have been round a bit, but still blush when I get embarrassed, still get crushes on people, still put my shoes on without undoing the laces and squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube, oh and wear my new running shoes out of the shop image

Don't you think running keeps us young?  All that marketing guff about facecreams, when a good work out that keeps the blood pumping, the skin pink and gets us drinking loads of water can't be bad. Rant over image that is allimage

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome. I'll look forward to getting to know you all. I live in Aberdeen (think it was Kaz that asked).

For me, this will be marathon no. 6. I've done Amsterdam, Lochaber, 2 x Edinburgh and Moray to date. My favourite was Lochaber as I got a PB 3:59:04 in 2010. I also loved Moray though as it's home & my folks popped up along the way.

No idea what I'll be capable of this time. The next month or two will be crucial. I've had a niggling ankle injury since June which is now recovering after physio. I need to slowly build up my mileage, as aside from Parkrun occasionally I've not raced for months. We'll see what happens. Looking forward to the challenge.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - Thank you very much for the offer, but sadly I'll be back home before the marine marathon takes place.

TD - I plan to spend all tomorrow exploring Brooklyn. I have that museum on my to do list.

Kaz - Take care you. No more crashes, bumps or falls at least until the post race party in Amsterdam.

To all the enquired my groin seems to be ok. No pain when walking. No groin pictures will be forth coming. I'm pretty sure there's a section in the Geneva Convention about no pictures of eggys private parts.

Well I'm off for some food and to go see a show since I'm being all cultured in awe tha'.
  • Hi Clag, I'm from Elgin so we are neighbours! I have done 2 marathons - Berlin in 2011 and Lochaber in 2012. Off to Amsterdam in 12 days for my 3rd. Couldn't get a bigger contrast than Berlin and Lochaber, but I loved them both. PB was Lochaber in 3:42. Have done the Moray half twice - must do the full one before I get too old. But I Should really do Paris in 2013. It would be rude not to now that I have enjoyed the hospitality dished out by all these fine folk for the last 6 months!
  • yer_maj wrote (see)
    Well now....drum roll....I just did 5k and nothing fell off.  Nothing hurt then, nothing hurts now but by 'eck I feel like I've lost some fitness having not run for 2 weeks image

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

YAY, the list fairy is back!!! and there's lots of newbies, FUN!

Dannir - thanks for the update on "mid LSR baby" (for the newbies to the forum it's a VERY premature baby that Dannir delivered halfway through a 20 miler.  Ran in 10 miles, delivered baby, ran home.  Yup, it get's different in here).

DLR - hee hee hee, lovin' the new version of a stair master!

so much happening on the thread today!  I had a chat with mates over the weekend and it's looking like london in 2014 (friend is turning 50)...so that leaves me open for a spring marathon...which one should I do? image I'm working on a flag for the support crew.  So far I've got thoughts about adding: the route, abstracted bristol chartimage, cake, knitting needles in blue and white cross formation, eiffel tower & arc de tiumph (but that might be a bit obvious), levitating runner...anything else?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I dare you to knit a stool chart....

You forgot a Dragon image

• oh yeah and Karen, if you let us know where you're based I'm sure there is probably someone on the thread who is close by and can take you out for a toodle (nice easy run) and/or chat to answer any questions you have.  I'm in London but can't get out until after amsterdam.

• Another Lochaber veteran here. Probably my worst marathon experience to date, but entirely my fault as I was woefully under-trained. Otherwise it would have been great (apart from the driving sleet...but they did have hot showers at the end).

TD - look after that knee. I'm assuming you and PF will be doing a Moulin-Rouge style chorus line routine at some point on the course for us, so you'll need to be fit for the high-kicking.

Karen - nowhere in Paris is particularly cheap, but the further out you go on the rail/Metro lines, the cheaper it gets. But you might want to save up for a hotel near the start/finish as the extra cash can be worth it just to be within staggering distance.
  • yer_maj wrote (see)

I dare you to knit a stool chart....

You forgot a Dragon image

yeah...a dragon knitting?  Wonder if there's a clipart of that...

and TD - stop putting yeast on it and it'll stop growing image

• Hello you lovelies, Welcome Clag. I took Kaz1's advice today and slowed my training run down.2 days ago I did 8 miles in 1.06, tonight took it well easy did 7 miles in 1.05. Want to save that turbo boost button for the big race at the end of the month (first person to spot the 80s tv reference gets a cyber high five from The Jimbob)
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Karen:  Move.  Immediately.  On account of a person known around these parts as Dirty Leeds Rob.

TD:  If you're high kicking I want to see those Paris knickers on you, ok?

• Leeds...??    *gulp*

blimey..   it's chilly out......

• Morning, Its bloody freezing here...........and I haven't been out........image

Still no KOC in this household. I am having another rest day, and my last day of antibiotics so hopefully do my last 'LSR' tomorrow with maybe a section at planned mp or at least mp effort??? I will see how I feel.

Karen - Welcome! Come and join the party in Paris next year!!image

Eggy - Glad 'things' are ok!! Enjoy your day exploring.

And it looks like I am still the furthest North and most Isolated. I think we will have to get a marathon going here.........1 loop should be sufficient?!?!image

• oh Karen, Karen, Karen...good luckimage  DLR is injured at the moment too so anything could happen.  Not that we're committing him to anything.  He needs to get a pass nowdays to meet up with random women from the internet. image

Kaz - hmm...an orkney marathon...there isn't one already?!  that's a serious issue!!!!  You could even do a midnight sun one...or at least a KOC one. image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Simon MacD - small world! Elgin is where I originally hail from. Moved to Aberdeen 21 years ago to study and got stuck. I'm possibly contemplating Moray for September this year - will see how Paris goes first. I had a mad notion of doing the D33 in 2014 as I'm going to be 40 next year and thought it'd be good to challenge myself. Another part of my head says I should just try to get a bit faster and leave it at that.

This is a busy thread! I can see the marathon starting to consume my time before the training begins properly. All good though as I'll get regular virtual kicks up the arse if I'm feeling lazy!
  • RS - Midnight Sun one......Now theres an idea........The Midnight Sun Marathon is one I have always wanted to do!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

*slides up to Kaz on the injury/sick bench*

Went out for 5 miles - turned in early at 4 as hamstring started to really twinge. More stretching and foam rolling for me.

Radar Sal wrote (see)
    and TD - stop putting yeast on it and it'll stop growing image

Best suggestion ever!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Flippin' heck, you lot - It's nearly impossible to keep up with the pace of this thread  - it's quicker than TD

I'll catch up later but I just wanted to give you a wave from MausLand image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

RS - Midnight Sun one......Now theres an idea........The Midnight Sun Marathon is one I have always wanted to do!!!

I've always wanted to do the midnight sun one as well....

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/Sartre_Designs_1.jpg

Stool Chart on Page 43, I think...

Orbutt! At last, I get to ask...Does the water go down the plughole a different way?

Old Paris people ( You know what I mean...)..I'm extending( yes ) my Notes to include more practical advice on accommodation...which has gone up in price ...So, to save trying to catch all the relevant comments , here, any chance of people emailing me a wee bit about where they stayed 2012, rough cost/comments etc? I'll collate it . DLR, didn't you stay somewhere near the Expo for a couple of nights and then move nearer the Start? How did that go? I've had good, recent, experience of leasing someone's flat...not holiday accommodation, just their home..and the site includes lots of B&B -type offers.I'll add them.It's soooo much cheaper. Any single travellers? Remember, you pay for the hotel room, not pp and singles are expensive.Find a pal.image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I stayed in an apartrment - worked out at about £90 per night.  I'll bore on at you about it tomorrow image

G'Day Orbutt...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for that ATM! I'm currently on the look out for accommodation. I was thinking of the hotel recommended on here previously but if there are cheaper options available

• Kaz & Audry:  have no idea the exact date but usually around the first weekend in april for 2014.  So three birthdays with "0" at the end in 2014 for us ladies - oh exciting ... although not sure I'll be feeling that excited.  Do I have to start wearing twin set and pearls and have my long hair cut short at 50 ?  Please say no!!!! 

Oh saw phsio yesterday and ..... Im repaired ..  just need to continue with the R2R schedule but build up gradually keep up with the rehab exercises and she wants to see me in two weeks ... if I feel I need to.  whooopeeimage

Oh and can I also add I'm in love ..  bought some F-LITES 220 INOV8 for the stonkingly cheap price of £29.99 inc postage from a well loved auction site, and wow gorgeous, absolutely no foot issues on my 4 mile run yesterday.  Amazing felt like I was trotting in bear feet on a pillow of painfreenessimage.   Mr PF liked them due to the priceimage.

• Hey Orbutt! You're in the same time zone! How's the rock? Do you feel upside down?

RS: you will have something green on the flag? And how about an alarm clock with KOC? And the wee chart?

ATM: I'll email you the apartment rental company I used.
  • PF - First weekend in April will make it just before the big day or there abouts!! Hair cut short and twin set.........I am already in preparation. Did the haircut last year!!!

Good news that you are healed!!!

I have just added another 300 to my visa(my bank will be loving me!!). 3 flights booked of this Island for £218, to connect with my flights to Paris. I had to also book an hotel for 1 night on the way out but its at the airport since our flight is at 6am. How organised am I!!!image Now to pay the visa...........mmmmmmmmmimage

• Kaz:  so I will be just under a decade older than you, my hair is a bit like a security blanket, and at the moment still ok being brown and tied back in pony tail!!!  Just can't imagine when or if I'll ever cut it.  Is there an age limit to having long hair .. thoughts please!!!

Oh and I bare rahter than bear feet!!!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    About 5 years ago I had my very long hair cut into a crop all in one go. Over the years it's been up & down and every colour of the rainbow...right now it's bright red and very short & asymmetrical. I don't miss my long hair at all....
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Weather for Toronto this weekend is looking lousy.  Showers and windy.  I dont  mind lousy weather for running, but was really hoping to make a good run of this one and had trained quite differently.image