1 stone off by Christmas!

Hi all, i'm a long term member that usually hides in the background. *waves hello*

Previously an OK runner, had a bit of a lapse and looking to get back into it.

Done a few marathons and numerous halfs in my time. Looking to sign up for a half in the spring and as of yesterday have started back running, (30mins on the dreadmill). First outdoor run this evening and whilst i'd love to break the 2hr mark in a half in the spring (previous best 2hr2mins), my main goal with running is to shed some weight. So i'm hoping.. by making this public, i will stick to my goal of shedding a stone by christmas and then can get into a proper training plan in the new year to take on a half marathon in the spring. Weighed myself on Sunday, so the starting blocks are set, it's downhill from here...

Anyone want to join me? Anyone out there used running to aid weightloss and got some words of wisdom to share? Christmas day is 11 weeks today, so allows for a nice steady weightloss, of 1.3lb a week. (or a few hiccups along the way). I think it's reasonable, thoughts?

-x-

Comments

• Hi Rats

I'm up for that challenge !

I've lost about 2 stone this year already but have plateued the last few weeks so some 'healthy competition', support and encouragement might jsut help me kick start my weight loss again.

I have recently changed my eating habits in order to support my running plan. I now always have a breakfast (as apposed to a coffee and coisant from a coffee shop), I make my own lunch at the weekend and freeze them for the following week (as apposed to unhealthy, large baguettes with crisps and drinks, mcdonalds etc) and I have also started to cook a healthier meal for the evening. I am cutting down takeaways to one a month as a 'treat'.

I used to get through about 3 crates of Magners a week and have got that down to 1 crate over the weekend. I dont think I am ready and I dont think I could stop drinking totally, but this is my next target in the future.

My running has always consisted of going out and running as fast and as hard as I could 5/6 times a week. My legs would be aching constantly and I am surprised I didnt pick up a serious injury. I have now entered the Clowne half marathon, my first, in November and hope to run the Manchester full marathon next April. I now followed a structured plan (tempo run, speedwork, hillwork, LSR), I have 3 rest days at the moment and already I am seeing an improvement.

Good luck !

• Hey,

I'm definately up for this.  I had that goal in my head and when I saw your post I thought perfect!

I'm a beginner and gradually building up my distance and attempting a 10K this sunday image.  I thought the weight would fall off but it hasn't, I've been so much hungrier and haven't reigned in the eating.  I'm running so I can eat what I want right?...wrong image

I know I've got to do diet and exercise together and that's what I started with yesterday- so far so good.  I just get disheartened so quickly if I don't see the scales move downwards.  I have a whinge and people says muscle weights more than fat but I do think that's a cop out....

Anyway, the countdown to christmas has begun and 1.3lbs a week is definatley reasonable and sensible.

Rats and carterusm your running sounds hardcore compared to mine but I hope to get there and be a couple of stone lighter when I do image

Good luck.

• Hi Albans.

You are a beginner so we are at different stages of our plans and you will see your progress improve over the weeks and months. Try to focus on yourself and not others, although a bit of healthy competition doenst do any harm image

A lot of people say that you shouldnt jump on the scales too regularly to check your weight. But if it helps motiviate you more then go for it. I try and do it once a week now and that suits me. Dont beat yourself up if you dont find your weight dropping too quickly. We only have 1.3lbs a week to lose, should be a piece of cake. Mmmm,cake.......image

What I have learnt this year is that if I have a bad day on the food or drink, then I have a bad day, so what. As long as I can get back to being healthier the next day then not much damage has been done. I try not let it bother me too much anymore. I am finding that a large part of weight loss is in the head and not just in the body. 

What sort of training are you doing at the moment, how many runs, distance, time etc ?

• Hi all!

Wondering if I could join you on this, I too have a stone to lose and am hoping to have taken a good chunk of it off by 1st December.

Over the last year I have lost 5 stone, and have been struggling with the last one for a few months now. I may have become complacent and stopped obsessing over calories, which led to gaining then losing the same five pounds over and over...enough is enough!

I have a big dinner dance coming up on the first of December and have been so looking forward to getting glammed up and wearing a dress, for the first time in years. I would love to have the last stone off, or mostly off, by then, so I can feel comfortable and look good.

I have used running to boost my weight loss, and have found it so much easier on my joints - and lungs - since the weight came off. Apparently the long, slow runs are good for weight loss, so I have been trying to up the mileage gradually.

I have a couple of good hills near me - well, I say "good," but I hate them! Are hills good for weight loss too, does anyone know?

• Welcome aboard Springle !

I believe the most effective weight loss is when your hear rate is working at 60-70% of your maximum heart rate. When running up hills your heart rate will be around 70-85% of the maximum depending on how much effort you are putting in of course. Obviously hills are a good way of gaining strength.

My current plan consists of about 70% of my runs are at LSR pace, some speedwork, hillwork and a tempo run. I am training towards a half marathon in November so hopefuly my plan will help me acheive my target time of 2:00 hours....and the loss of a few pounds !! 

• Hi All,

Glad there's others up for the challenge. Over the last 18 months i've lost 3 stone, so like Springle & Carterusm it's the last bit that's proving tricky!

So the challenge is on, key is to do it in a healthy way, so no faddy tactics, just move more, eat less!

My training plan is to build up to 5 days a week, starting with small distances and building up, so ready for the half marathon in the spring. At the moment i'm planning most of my training during the week, weekends seem to be full & hectic!

I've used hill training previously as a good way of getting faster Springle, they hurt, but pay off. Not used them for weight loss, but they must help. Logic says a hilly mile burns more calories than a flat one!

• I am feeling quite excited about this now - I was starting to get a little fed up with the fluctuating weight and the very stubborn final stone, but now I feel like I am really getting into the right frame of mind again.

You guys are quite inspiring with the plans for the half-marathons. I have always wanted to go further, but at the moment my long run is hovering around the 5- 7 miles, depending on how much time I have. Maybe I will seek out a half marathon close to me and start to think about getting ready for that kind of distance.

I think it would be a great way to celebrate finally getting to goal weight - something to take my mind off the scales too, for the slow weeks maybe.

• Hi springle.

Don't try and do too much too soon though or that could result in injuries. Have a look at some of the training plans on here you could follow and they will increase your mileage a little at a time.

Hi Rats.

Good work on the 3st lost so far.

Lets see if we can all shed another stone, at least, before Xmas.
  • Carterusm, you are so right. I get very silly when I am excited and have to rein myself in a lot - when I first started running again after a five year break, I suddenly remembered everything I had loved about running, and went a bit mad. I couldn't bend my knees for weeks and had to take two weeks off, followed by 3 mile runs, 3 times a week for about 6 weeks to build up a proper base fitness.

A very silly mistake that could have seen me back on the sofa piling the weight back on, but luckily I decided to learn from it and not overdo it again.

Yesterday was a really good, positive day for me, I hope it was for everyone else too. Today is a rest day, which is difficult, but as long as I stay out of the kitchen while the kids are at school I will be fine!

• Hi springle.

It's good to hear you got off to a good start yesterday. Which are you finding most difficult, not eating too much bad food or not being able to go out running as often as you like ? I find having rest days is hard as I enjoy the running so much, but when I go out again after my rest days I'm glad I'm not overdoing it as I have got to the stage now where I can do some decent length runs, feel ok during them and recover quite quickly.

I had a good day yesterday too. My eating was good, no picking between meals and no alcohol last night. I also went for an 8 mile tempo run and it felt a lot easier due to me following a proper training plan. On one hand I want to revise my half marathon target time from 2:00 to 1:50 but on the other hand I need to reel myself in and not get too carried away.

Have a good day and keep out of the kitchen image
  • Rats and Albans - how are things going for you ?
  • dont get too hung up on the scales, muscle DOES weigh more than fat. I am the same weight i was 6 months ago but now all my clothes are so much looser!
    go on how your clothes fit as well as by weight.

• Hi All,

I'm well, was planning on a run last night, but am mindful of doing too much too soon, so i took the dog for a walk instead (4 month old black lab - she's keeping me busy). Interesting to see that others have the same issue as me as going all out and then either injuring themselves or blowing up. Still keen on active rest days, rather than full out rest days, but i'll stick to dog walking and maybe swimming rather than easy runs for the time being.

Found a 20 week half marathon plan that very slowly builds you up and works on the principle of below, so going to start that and see where we go, hitting the gym tonight:

Monday= Hills/Sprints; Tuesday = Easy/Rest, Weds=X-Train, Thursday=LSR, Friday=Rest/Swim?, Saturday=tempo/farlek and Sunday = Rest.

Agree with Max's Mum, so going to pick up a tape measure and monitor size as well as weight. But i know i'm overweight and got some poundage to loose, so for the time being weightloss is still personally my main goal.

Have people weighed (and measured?) themselves so we have a starting point? My weigh day is going to be sundays. So i weighed in on Sunday and will be able to report any loss (fingers crossed) this sunday coming. Resisting the temptation for a sneaky mid-week weigh in. I've hidden the scales out of sight!

-x-

• Hi Rats

I am going to use my starting point as Monday morning just gone (13st 3lbs - nobody has to give their weight out on here if they dont want too but I'm happy to do so).

I am off to New York for a few days in a couple of weeks and I have no intention of taking my running stuff and I have every intention of eating American sized portions of food ! I've never been before and so obivously am really looking forward to it. If it hampers our 'lose 1 stone by christmas' challenge then so be it, if it means I only lose 1/2 stone instead of 1 stone then so be it. I can always extend the deadline to the end of January and beyond.

It looks like you have got a decent training plan so good luck with that. The dog walking will also benefit you. I have got a 12 month old springer spaniel, and like you, I am kept very much on my toes by the little sod !

• Come on carterusm, some positive mental attitude here! You're going to have an awesome time in New York and still loose a stone by Christmas! I went to new york a few years ago, a run around central park is awesome. I always travel in my running trainers (an old pair that can take the abuse) and therefore the running gear takes no room at all in the suitcase. I was jetlagged big style in new york, so hit the pavement at 5am, whilst the rest of the city slept. It was lovely!

My holiday this year is a little less exotic, with a week in Cornwall booked for the first week in November, but the running shoes are coming with me, but won't be used as much as if i was at home!

Holidays or no holidays, 11 weeks and 14lb. We can do it!!!

• That's the spirit Rats! A little positivity goes such a long way with weight loss, and I am so glad to see the people on this thread are all in a great frame of mind.

I had my weigh in on Monday, 12 stone 1 pound, very annoyed to have drifted back over the 12 mark after all my hard work, but then I really did lose control for a little while so I shouldn't be too surprised!

For me the problem of over-eating and rest days goes hand in hand; I feel so fed up at not being out running that I keep wandering into the kitchen and picking at everything. Some days it becomes an all-out binge, which is a remnant of an eating disorder that I battled for years. (Before anyone kicks me off the thread, I know this is not a starvation pact, it is about healthy eating and running, and I know the support and advice will be good for me!)

I guess I will just have to find plenty of distractions, such as going for a walk or getting the chores done - this is going to be a very clean house!

Best of luck everyone with the rest of today, we can do this!

• Morning All,

Did an hour at the gym last night, mainly on the bike and stepper, though i used the treadmill to warm up and did some core work. too

Hope i didn't offend/ scare you off carterusm and that you're still planning to join us on the challenge.

5 miler planned this evening/ afternoon. Got the luxury of working from home today, so will squeeze the run in before it gets dark - nights are closing in fast!

Happy training people

-x-

• Morning everyone, hope you are all well.

@Rats - sounds like a nice steady session at the gym for you last night. No, of course you havent scared me off ! A lot of our challenge will be having help, support and encouragement from each other so lets keep it going.

@Springle - is your house clean now ??

I had a rest day yesterday and ate reasonably well, not brilliant but not too bad. This evening is a gentle 8-10 miles that will take in some hills up in the Peaks. I think this will be one of my last evening runs in the Peaks now the nights are closing in so it will be a few months of pounding the streets. I might even try some off roading at night now I have purchased a head lamp !! image

Run well everyone......

• The house was super-clean until the kids got home from school, they are very good at un-tidying, but sure it just gives me more distractions for my next rest day!

Had a good run this morning, just 3 miles today as I was pushed for time but 3 miles in the lashing rain is better than no miles on the sofa. Am going to try for alternate days to avoid injury at this stage so at least my trainers might be dry by Saturday.

Rats and Carterusm, hope you both enjoy your runs tonight - take care in that wintry weather!

• I made the executive decision to go for a run at lunch time, so as bad as 5 miles in the lashing rain was, it wasn't as bad as if it had been dark as well! MIght consider running at lunchtime more. Nice feeling to know my run is done for the day!

@carterusm - i'll be interested in how you get on with the head torch, i keep considering it. But so far have just kept to lit pavements. I moved in July and i now live in a much smaller town, so i'm dreading the longer miles in the dark. Going to have to start doing loops,  as there simply isn't enough pavement, let alone lit pavements!

• Morning all, I hope we are all well on this dull, grey morning.

@Rats - I havent use the head torch yet. I only really need to use it if I go off road in the dark and I will be doing that over the forthcoming weeks so will keep you posted. I quite like going down a darkish quiet road, it can be quite airy yet peaceful and prividing you have your high viz stuff on you should be fine. The head torch I've got is an Alpkit Gamma (http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=250). Other peole have said that they found this on Amazon etc for £10 but off the Alpkit website it costs £15, it comes highly recommended. Well done for yesterdays run in the rain; it can be hard to motivate yourself to get out when it the weather is rubbish. But, now you have got out in some poor weather you have you cant use the weather as an excuse not to go out in the future !! image

I went out for an easy yet hill run last night. It totalled 9.7 miles and takes in 3 really rather steep hills. My fitness must be improving as when I ran this route previously I was really blowing going up the second hill. Last night, however, I got to the top of the third hill breathing heavily but it felt a lot better and I could carry on with the rest of my run in relative comfort. I am aching  a bit this morning though but today is a rest day. I feel that I should have lost a bit more weight (the trousers feel a bit looser) but I will wait until Monday for my next weigh in.

Have a good day everyone

• hey all,

just checking in to see how you all are.

Decided to go for a run today after all as it is always tricky to get out at the weekend so at least that is done now and can't be undone!

Eating is always tricky at the weekends too, so I am trying to plan ahead to avoid any surprises - I find that if I have planned all my meals well in advance I am less likely to undo all my hard work with a binge.

Trying very hard to resist the scales, always feel the need to weigh myself when I have been good for a few days, so silly, if I were to see a loss I would celebrate with a binge, and if I don't see a loss I would console myself with a binge. Maybe I shouldn't have scales in the house at all and just use my clothes as a guide...but I find it helps to see actual numbers....

Anyway. hope you are all good, have a good weekend everyone!

• So today is weigh day, how did people do week 1? I had a rather impressive 4lb weight loss. But i'm not sure if that was due to the hard work, or weighing myself at a different time of day. From now on, weighing myself first thing in the morning, so i'll see how i get on next week.

Training wise, did a full gym session including 4km run on friday, but nothing all weekend, which was kind of planned. Back to the gym tonight for sprints on the treadmill.

Fingers Crossed you all did as well in the weightloss.

• Woo woo 4 lb off, that is brilliant! Well done you - you will have the stone off well before Christmas at this rate!

I have 2 lb off myself, and feel it could have been more except that my weekend was a little bit naughty. It always is though, I think if I want to get the weight off I am going to have to change the way we do things at the weekends. Not that I want to be losing more than 2lb a week, I am really happy with that loss, but I can't be good 5 days and then undo it all in 2!

I have just put in a really good run, 5 miles on some serious hills, and felt great all the way round. Will stick to this for another week and then try adding a little at a time, nice and easy so I don't wreck my knees again!

I used to feel the fat on my face jiggle with every step I took, which was really annoying, and I just realised this morning that that has gone now, yippeee!

• Well done to both of you !

Like you Springle, my weekend could have been better and I also need to change certain things. It seems a waste to be good all week and do all that exercise and then pig out at the weekend. Moderation needs to be the key for me at th weekend.

I had 2 good runs at the weekend. Saturday morning saw me do my long run that took in a mountain ! There was some walking involved getting up that beast but when I did get up I found I could carry on running at a nice steady pace. Sunday evening saw me do a fairly long steady run and I felt very comfortbale indeed and that I could have carried on. The stamina seems to be improving so happy days.

Keep up the good work everyone ! 

• Well done Springle and good running Carterusm. I really should make the most of running in day light at the weekend, but i put other things ahead of training at weekend.

So a week 2 resolution, better behaviour at weekends!

• Morning campers, I hope we are all well.

It's been a difficult couple of days as my little pooch, Harvey, has not been well. He was rushed in to the vets over the weekend as he has punctured his bowel and stomach in several places and had to undego some serious surgery. The little man is still in the vets recovering image So, it's been worrying and busy times which has meant the healthy option has taken a back seat. Saying that, I did go out last night for 10 miles of which 4 miles was off road. An I got to use my new head torch for the first time ! After running through the woods in pitch black thinking a mad axeman was following me I found the head torch was really good. I wore it over my beanie and it felt comfortable and stable. It gives off a really good beam for about 20 yards and lights up an additional 20 yards or so to give you an idea of whats coming next. So overall I would highly recommend getting one.

I hope everyone is keeping up the good work they have done so far......

• carterusm.........running through natural woods in the dark is ok...but running through the artificial pine forests gives me the creeps..i won't do tha ton my own at night...........mind i'm not fussed on them in the light eitherimage

weel  donespringle and rats.keep it upimage

• Thanks Seren nos!

Carterusm - I am sorry to hear about your dog, it sounds like a very upsetting time so I hope things get better for you soon.

Well done on the run, I don't know if I could run through a forest alone - even in the daylight I often creep myself out imagining something following me, which is very silly, but I bet it makes me run faster!

Hope today is a good day for everyone - we can do this!

• Hi all, just to say i'm going to go silent for a few days whilst i head away for a few days, to catch up with an old school friend. Back in radio contact on Monday. So keep up the good work and i'll report back in on Monday.