Runner or Jogger

Hi,

I have a 10 mile race on Sunday and am really looking forward to it. I registered and got my pack. One thing that confuses me is there will be a staggered start, first the elites, the runners, then joggers and then walkers. Now i am no elite but what is the difference between a runner and a jogger. I plan on running about 9 min miles.

I think i will go in the jogger section and it will be easier to speed up if i feel comfortable rather then having the world nad his nanny passing me out at mile 4. What do ye think?

Comments

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Seriously?!  That's the way the start is staggered?  I am too!!

If you're planning on running, I'd say you're a runner.  How are you going to make all the joggers around you feel if you start speeding up whilst amongst them??

• Poor information from the race organisers IMO. They should give indication of actual pace - either by estimated finish time or pace per mile, rather than ridiculous subjective categories.

I would contact the race director and point this out to them, and ask them to give verbal clarification on the day as to who should go where.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Runner/Jogger - Great question.

When people ask me if I'm going jogging I get upset. Infact any mention of the J-word upsets me. Think it depends on your priorities and what exercise means to you.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

An interesting slant on the old runner/jogger chestnut!

For a race split into a staggered start with four different sections I would define those terms as follows:

- Elites: First quarter of the pack
    - Runners: Second quarter of the pack
    - Joggers: Third quarter of the pack
    - Walkers: Last quarter of the pack

Decide how far up the field you would usually expect to finish in a race and line up accordingly.

"Simples", as they say.  image

• Just re-read the documentation it actually states the following:

"Assemble in area marked for Racers, Runners, Joggers or Walkers"

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Derek Walsh 2 wrote (see)

Just re-read the documentation it actually states the following:

"Assemble in area marked for Racers, Runners, Joggers or Walkers"

When you contact the race director, make sure you also contact the run, jog and walk directors.

Can a runner win a prize?  Win the race obviously not, because you're not a racer...

Was the documentation typed or written in crayon?

EDIT: oops, just realised that's all one area!  What are the other areas?  Presumably supporters? Pleasantly interested in what's going on but never doing it myselfers?  This is getting in the way of my shoppingers?

• In fairness it is a charity event that does a lot of good work for cancer patients here in the south of ireland, Only for it i would not be jogging/running image. There will be 2000 people doing it hoping to raise 250,000 euro. I think this is the 4th year it is on. This is the first year that i ever saw the stagered starting .

http://solascentre.ie/index.php/run-for-life/race-information/

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

PhilPub, that would make me an elite in most of my races, as I'm normally in the top 10 to 20%.  

I dont think I'd be able to call myself an elite and keep a straight face image

• where i am in the pack depends on the pack

• In fairness it's a race for 2000 people (or maybe less if only 25% are "racers") - it should be organised properly.

• CAn you get last years results, and work out which /4 you'll finish with, and then start with them. 9 min miles is more like "runner" than "jogger" I would think ( likley to be mid- pack at most biggish events)

• Hi all, Just finished the run. The start was fine altough there was no real staggering everyone just lined up and went, worked fine. Finished in 88 Mins, thrilled with that image

Thanks for all the advice.

• I'm a plodder - so where would that put me? image I did a 10 mile event this weekend and did 97 mins......

• Derek Walsh 2 wrote (see)

Hi all, Just finished the run. The start was fine altough there was no real staggering everyone just lined up and went, worked fine. Finished in 88 Mins, thrilled with that image

Thanks for all the advice.

So are you now classed as a jogger or a runner ??

• no idea what i am classed as, Been called a few things image, i finished 490 out of a field of about 1800 so really happy. I have my first half marathon on Dec 1st, really nervous about that as there will be less of a fun run element to it. 

http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2012/solas_run_for_life_2012_fullresults.htm

Well done andyp on your time was that your first 10 mile or are you at this game a long time?

• That's an amazing finishing position Derek and sounds as though you'll be fine for your half marathon in Dec.  I find all events can be fun. The event I did this weekend only had about 200 people but there were others to talk to at my pace, which I like.

I've been running/jogging/plodding for a while now (first Reading half maraton was in 1984!) , and sometimesI 'll even break into a trot! image

I'm def getting slower now though, but I still love taking part in events.

• For me, you have to run to achieve 9 minute miles. Without doubt. I think the grey area starts at 10 minutes...  but for me, 11 minute miling is jogging.

• i reckon running is at about 4:12 per km pace maybe 4:20....something like 6:30/mile in imperial (I do metric). and i'm nearer 50 than 20 (much nearer). most people are joggers who think they can run image

• No. Proper runners run at more like 5 m/m for a marathon, much faster over shorter distances. Any thing slower than that and you're just kidding your self that you're half decent. 6:30 m/m would be an easy long run for a proper runner, that's the speed of an amatuer also ran who likes to big himself up on an internet forum image

• tfktfk ✭✭✭

i think they're called elite runners who can run that fast for a marathonimage

• No, that's called using a car!!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

*rolling eye smiley*

• i've been having a bit of a think about this.

runnning and jogging are not two descrete terms in the way that runnning and walking are. there are very easily determined biomechanical differences between walking and runnning in a way that there just aren't between runnning and jogging.

if we accept that this is the case then the terms "runnning" and "jogging" are essentially merely two terms on the same sliding scale of a particular activity. any cut off point imposed on the line is purely arbitary due to the fact that R/J is a continuous rather than descrete variable.

given this, i would suggest that what constitutes "runnning" is dependent on who is doing the runnning.

for example:

imagine myself and Mo Farah are going for a 'run' together. he's a mate and he's invited me for a gentle jog on one of his slow days, because he's nice like that. he sets off at 40 minute 10km pace, thinking he's taking it nice and easy. meanwhile i'm busting a gut to keep up and am in no way considering myself to be jogging.

in essence i would say that the difference between jogging and runnning comes down to a matter of effort. Mo "runs" at 27 minute 10km pace and would think of a 40 minute 10km as a gentle stroll. i on the other hand recently did my second 10km race in a pb of 44:58 and at the end would happily have lamped anyone who said i'd been jogging.

flat-out i might just about be able to run as quick as Mo does over 10km, but i'd be puking after 200 metres or so. does that mean that any slower than that i'm just jogging? i don't think so.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I knew there would be a Venn diagram for this!

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/6/9/96f1b65c-f595-414c-b958-61edd4ddca80.Medium.png

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Not actually running related at all...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MHeYA5-zzsA/Sv2qYw4IAlI/AAAAAAAAAU0/wcPA2VQ3fJo/s1600/piechart.jpg

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Not actually running related at all...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MHeYA5-zzsA/Sv2qYw4IAlI/AAAAAAAAAU0/wcPA2VQ3fJo/s1600/piechart.jpg

very unrealistic. there should be a lot less pie left than that.