Run Fatboy, Run

1235»

Comments

• I hope to be doing the Robin Hood this year if I am in the country. Looking forward to missing the big hills from last year. image

Let me know if the running down a slight incline helps you to get used to running faster... it may not work for everyone. I just saw someone mention it and so tried it myself and it seems to have worked so far this season...
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Have taken the plunge and entered the Robin Hood half (my first half marathon) which is at the end of September.

I am intending on following one of the taining plans on this site which I will start in the middle of June. Have also got a couple of 10k's booked in (one in 4 weeks and another in August ) so hopefully they'll be good training.

I have been doing a bit of hill work to help out with my speed, including the suggestion from Nick, so hopefully over the next few weeks I'll start to see an improvement.

Got a bit of a hamstring 'niggle' at the moment, hopefully nothing serious and just something I picked up yesteday which will ease over the next couple of days.

Hope the original person who started this thread is still making progress?

• Hey Tommy... I hope to enter the Robin Hood as well. I'll be back in the country by then so hopefully fit and rearing to go... Glad to hear you are making some progress as regards speed....

Hopefully Tobyloby is still doing OK as well... he's been quiet lately...

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Just a bit of an update, after entering the Robin Hood half I thought it would be a good idea to take part in a couple of shorter events leading up to it. Yesterday was the first one, a 10K trail run round the grounds of Clumber Park. My previous PB for a 10K was ~54mins, when I entered I optimistically put a finish time doen of sub 50mins. I'm pleased to report I did manage sub 50 with the timing chip recording my time as 47:44, so a massive PB and a massive barrier broken (I never thought I'd be able to get below 50 mins).

Must say a massive thanks to the random bloke who passed me after about 4K when I was 'lagging', as I used him as a pace setter and managed to keep within 10 metres or so of him all the way to the finish. Without his pace I doubt I'd have been able to do it!

So anyway going to have a couple of easy weeks before starting a training plan for the Robin Hood half, hopefully get another 10K done before the half, and maybe get a sub 45 for that !

Shame that Tobyloby isn't posting anymore, used to enjoy reading his posts/updates.

Hope things are good with you Nick?

Cheers

Tommy

• Hey Tommy I have been away overseas... resting up my achilles (which seems fine now) and just starting to run again after 6 weeks off with no running. 6 weeks till the Robin Hood.so I better get cracking!

How has your training been going Tommy? 

• By the way... 47 mins is a pretty handy time! Did the downhill rnunning help you at all with regards to speed?

• image Thats faster than me image image image Well done!!!!! image

• Hi Nick, SOrry of rthe delayed response only just seen your message as I've been working away from home for the past 3 weeks or so.

I'm sure the downhill running did help along with tempo runs and generally just following a training plan rather than just running when I felt like it!

Training has been coming along ok, although whilst I've been working away I haven't been able to do as much running as I'd like during the week due to long working hours etc. Will just have to see how the next few weeks training go, can't believe how quickly it has come round?! Hows your training coming along? Any reaction from the achilles?

• No reaction to the Achilles yet Tommy. I have been building up slowly again (scared of getting another injury). So far so good... but the true test will be once I start upping the milesage as been only doing around 6 to 8 miles max on my longer runs at the moment... I won't be where I want to be speed wise for the Robin Hood but hopefully will be there injury-free...

How are you set for the Robin Hood?

• Before I started the training plan I looked at the Mcmillan run calculator to get my equivalent HM time, based on my 10k PB which came out at 1:46ish. So I set this as my (optimistic) target time but due to a slight hamstring niggle early on in the training plan and the recent 3 weeks working away with very little training I very much doubt I'll be in a position to get that sort of time unfortunately. Will just have to see how things go on the day with regards to time, but as it's my first HM it will definitely be a PB....

Got a 8.5m run planned for this evening, the route has a nasty hill which I'm not looking forward to!  

• Good luck Tommy. 1.46 will be a good time. 1.47 is my best time achieved about 30 years ago! I just want to finish... and if all goes well, get close to 2 hours...

Good luck with the nasty hill!

• Hello!

In May i was 19 stone and very unfit.  Honestly, i couldn't have run from one lamp post to the next.  I had a little girl in August last year and it all kinda got out of control!  I am now 3 stone less and running the GNR next weekend (gulp!)  I found i couldn't run that heavy, i had to shift some weight first so have only been training for 12 weeks.  My last long run was 13 1/2 miles, and it took 2:52:56, which to most runners will be bloomin' awful but needless to say, i was thrilled!  It gets better and better and easier and easier and one day you just stop thinking 'oh God i'm going to pass out/throw up/die' and you think 'I'm running.  Just running and it's so easy!'

Would def say to enter something, it gives you real motivation.  Also, make sure you really listen to your body.  some aches you can ignore, some you can't (in my limited experience!)

• Hey Georgie, that's impressive progress! 13 1/2 miles with only 12 weeks training. 

I don't know if you have seen this before, but it's quite motivating!

and

http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/post/12472674911/welcome-new-readers-my-name-is-ben-in-december

• Thanks, i haven't.  Thats fantastic, what a brilliant story!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Hi Nick,

Hope you managed to get down to Nottingham yesterday?

Despite my training not going to plan, managed to get round in 1:48:30, so pretty pleased all in all. Really enjoyed the whole experience and now I've got a PB for a half marathon it's given me a target to beat....but not for a couple of days at least my legs feel like concrete!

• Hi Tommy, I got around... just. Only 2.23 this year though compared to 2.13 last year on a hillier course. I must admit I seem to be slowing year on year... somehow I need to reverse the clock of father time. Motivation isn't the problem, it's just I seem to injure myself gettig out of bed these days...image

Well done on your time of 1.48 though. I'd love to do times like that again one day. Also glad the rain held off!

• Just read this thread and it's almost like I've written it!! I'm in the same boat, I'm five weeks into a Run England course and I'm attempting my first Parkrun next week. I have always classed myself as a fit fat bloke, and have dropped a stone in weight

Down to 17st 9lb in those five weeks!!
  • RUN-D-M-BRIE let us know how you get on!

What sort of distances are you running at the moment?

• Furthest ive ran is 12k but that was a year ago, this is the first time I've ever done any structured training and it has highlighted

Quite a few shortfalls in how and what I used to do!! Really hoping to get under the 30min at the Parkrun I will post results! I would also like to say what a wonderfull initiative Run England is, I'm only running probably five miles a week at the moment but I've made the mistake in the past of overdoing it too soon
  • Good to start off slow. I recently came across this site... which is quite good in setting plans for beginners... 

http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/plan-for-beginning-running.html

and once you feel confident...

http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/intermediate-plan-for-runners.html

• Just got back from week 6 of my run England course and distance according to map my run was 6.5k This was done in walk/ jog/run intervals. Another good

Sessions in the pouring rain with the waves breaking just feet from us!
  • Running by the sea sounds nice. The main thing when you start running is to enjoy it. If you enjoy it you'll stick with it. Sounds like you are having fun...image