Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• thanks for that hopeful.i will take your advice and wont do that distance this weekend then.i am a strong willed person.i have runkeeper telling me every 5 mins my pace.when i did 23mile i managed to keep my times steady apart from my 1st 5mins that i always seem to start at over 9mins a mile.after that im good at keeping it between 8.38 and 8.27 for the rest of my run.

• That's some good running rick you should be on for a 3:50 with not to many problems!

I've recently started using high 5 gels also and must say I'm very impressed find them easy to digest whilst running which I had issues with, with some other brands so I'm really pleased that these are on offer during the marathon! Really looking forward to getting to the start line now and hopefully getting a reasonable time!
  • Have faith in what you've done and you're better off starting slow than starting off too quick!  Those initial minutes as you settle into your stride equate to just a few seconds over the whole distance so really are nothing to worry about!!  Maintianing a difference of no more than 11 seconds per mile consistently through your long runs shows amazing discipline!!  Have a look at some schedules on here to see the distances you should be doing in these last couple of weeks and you'll see there is very little you need to do between now and race day.  Good luck, I look forward to seeing how you get on.   

• Sorry, am a little bit behind here- are race packs being sent out via email? I don't seem to have one (have checked my spam)- boooo!

• Ridiculously good running Rick...  shame you didn't get into this younger!

This is my first marathon too...  you will be having a nice steak with your family whilst I'm still wrestling with one of those gel things, trying to get to the finish! 

You've said you won't do a very long run this weekend..   Please  don't change your mind!  Like I said, I'm new to this distance, but all the reading says you'll do much better in the race if you take a let your legs recover over the last couple of weeks.  If you do that, you should be quicker in the race than in training...  and the adrenalin and encouragement on race day shouldn't do any harm either.

• The "race pack" is now on the website.www.prestonguild2012.com It's a 12 page pdf document. Was anything else emailed to us ? My email has changed since I registered so I have not received anything.

Rick Slater. Sound good to me. Take it easy until race day and I reckon 3.50 is achievable. I ran 22 miles in 3.00 hours in training last week on a hilly route and I'm hoping for a sub 3.30 at the marathon.  

• I emailed them after the post from a different Sarah on the previous page and got mine shortly after that.  So thanks Sarah A59!

• Some impressive running going on!!! well done all!

And thanks for tips about High5 and Aldi, will try and check these out.

In regards to the pack, I had to email in after seeing posts on here and I also know of two others that hadnt received one. Im sure i have had problems in the past receiving stuff about the guild marathon, so it must be a constant issue for them.

• Some randomness that may help provide a mixture of distraction and inspiration for the big day 

Name 3 Great Running Memories

3.Running up Rivington Pike one day to be presented with a view of the surrounding area covered in low cloud with just the tops of the very tallest buildings showing through the cloud. It was a stunning sight. image

2. The Rocky theme tune blasting out from a flat balcony during the Great North Run. You couldnt not smile!! image

1.Headding into the final stretch of the Great North knowing my partner was in the crowd to see me cross the line. No stiff upper lip required image

• 1/ my first run between two lamp posts last xmas.and believe me thats not a joke guys

2/ my first 7 mile run without stopping.thats when it hit me i could enter a race maybe,

3/ last sunday setting off from my house in oswaldtwistle at 7am going over the tops into blackburn and seeing the low clouds blocking my sight of blackburn then running down into it, then running along canal later in full sunshine with the birds singing.wish i had more exciting tales for you ppl but im only a newbe and hopfully ive lots more exciting things to see in my future running,

one for the future im dying to be able to tell is running over the finishing line at preston on the 28th to complete my first marathon, good running everbody,

• hey those are some great stories rick and mine were not interesting well not to any one other than me. I was out running along the leeds liverpool canal last sunday too lol might of even passed you!!

And yes im hoping to finish the race too!!

Oh ive the heard the clocks go back that day too! Is this true!! Ouch!! lol

• PureManic wrote (see)

The "race pack" is now on the website.www.prestonguild2012.com It's a 12 page pdf document. Was anything else emailed to us ? My email has changed since I registered so I have not received anything.

Hi Puremanic

The original email had 6 attachments:-

• Race Pack
    • Car Parking Permit (free car parking at bus station)
    • Voucher for a discount at a running shop
    • route map
    • Form to be used if you want someone else to pick up your race number/chip etc
    • List of prizes

• Great memories! Mine would be:

1. Crossing the finishing line for the Snowdonia Marathon in lashing Llanberis rain last year. Believe me, I've never been happier to get to the end of the race! God knows how the ultra guys do it!

2. Any run around the Great Orme in Llandudno but one that sticks out is seeing the mountain goats rutting there last year and hearing the clash of horns echo across the headland (I highly recommend the Conwy half marathon in November btw which takes in this route, voted most scenic half in RW last year I think)

3. My first fell race at Foel Lus near Conwy. Have enjoyed some great runs and met some great people on the hills since then

But like the above, hoping to add Preston flag market to this list!
  • Running Memories

1/ Group of about 6 mates doing a sprint triathlon, Market Drayton  in about 1987. Of my group, I was 2nd out of the (cold outdoor) pool. But after doing the cycling on a borrowed heavy steel mountain bike, wearing a climber's helmet...  everyone else's sleek drop handled racing bike was long gone. My memory was running like hell... and the pleasure of catching up with one of the lads just before the end. Glorious.  Thank goodness he was a smoker!

2  Running with my girlfriend (now wife), when she fell heavily on a cobbled street.  I ran to pick her up, obviously in pain, complaining about her shin.  Heart racing, I check over her legs... and she's sounding more insistent... "My shin, My shin".   I was panicking but couldn't see anything wrong. I looked up to see blood pouring from my poor love's chin.  Obviously not quite able to pronounce her words properly.  Not a word of exaggeration.

3 Run the World  - Hyde Park, Leeds  1986.  Great day.

• Getting jealous of the Welsh runners!! lol

I do like your triathlon story wales, with patch work gear lol

• Thanks Run Wales. I'll get in touch with them with my new email.

• Ran just over 20 miles in 3:30 last Saturday so 4:15 to 4:30 looks doable. Disaster tonight though pulled up with a calf strain 7 miles into a 12 miler, got the ice out now and fingers crossed I'll make it!
  • Just found this thread!

Hi everybody

I have a dilemma and maybe you can help me. I'm entered into Abingdon (fast flat race) on the 21st and also Preston on the 28th (well it would be rude not to considering its a once in a 20 year kinda thing). Thing is, I was going to run Abingdon hard and go for a relaxing trot around Preston but I've been struck down with an acute bout of plantar fasciitis which has seriously disrupted my training over the past 3 weeks and I think I might only have one 26.2 in me before I need a break.

What d'ya think

1) run Abingdon hard and hope I can still get round Preston

2) cancel Abo and go for it at Preston

Big factor is how flat is the Preston course? The Preston guys at the Manchester marathon expo earlier this year described Preston as "undulating" - which generally means full of horrible hills image not so good when I'm trying to break one of those pesky time barriers. Anyone know the route?
  • Hey Joe,

I think the term undulating is the official term... but I understand that it is on the mild side of this classification.  A guy called SJPC has created an unofficial map, which shows the undulation profile... At first glance, it looks bad... but look at the vertical scale, and you'll see that the climbs look ok.   He put a link into this thread... see the bottom of page 25 of this thread... the post from 10th October at 12,55pm

Hard to advise which marathon to go for.  Have a look at Abingdon's undulation profile... it might not be quite as flat as you think...  but if it's flatter, and  if you're fixated on your time, then that has to be an advantage.

But Preston would give you an extra week to recover and it is the first ever Guild Marathon, and a once in 20yr event!

Then you've got other factors to consider... like practicalities of travel. Family or personal ties to the towns. For me, it's the town of my birth & schooling. So the emotional pull makes this unmissable.     Good luck with your decision. (I recommend Lancashire... but I'm biased!)

Southport strider... sounds a near identical time to me (20.5 miles in 3:38 last week)  but a calf muscle at this stage is bad.  At least you've done the key training now, and if it recovers well, you won't have missed too much.... but really hoping things work out for you. Bad luck.

• You're hardcore joe.... Just do it

1) 1st London mara. Crowds where/are unreal

2) last London mara. Monster pb and not one training session was good. Struggled on them all but on the day it just came together. I was shocked at the end.

3) Redbull steeplechase last Sunday. Weather/views and event staff made it an awesome day. Topped off with free hog roast n bar at the end. Fantastic value for money.
  • http://www.runwales.com/events/conwy-half-marathon

Thinking of a good race to make use of all that marathon traing? 3 weeks after the big one!
  • Thanks Run Wales, you were right to ask which race had the most emotional pull - if the time is out of the window then it has to be Preston. hopefully see you on the start line image
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Great choice SlokeyJoe - keep stretching those soles - hope it settles down quickly.

SG2 - very funny tube! I watched another with a woman explaining the same stuff - still giggling.

1. Briefly standing on the western most point of Roanhead on a sky blue clear day in perfect solitude staring at a setting sun between Haverigg and the far northern tip of Walney Island then running back into Barrow over the old Iron Works slag heap.
    2. Crossing the Liverpool finish line last year in 3:59:37 - first sub 4.
    3. Turning a corner in the Buenos Aires marathon to the sight of an Abba tribute band singing the last few choruses of Chiquitita which lifted me so much I just floated by, all the tiredness disappearing from my aching bones.

• does anyone else here run with music? i run always with my music on but not too sure its its good to in a race,btw if other ppl do,what do you listen to? my favs war of the worlds, 15 miler for me in morning,

• Thanks Lowrez, feels like the right decision already. And I've just entered Manchester Marathon to cheer me up a bit image

Are you based in Barrow? I'm just up the road....
  • War of worlds, good choice thought of that myself. Embarrisingly I hav a couple of tracks from Rocky soundtrack on my playlist that are great
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hi Slokey, I'm from Barrow but live on The Wirral now, can't beat peninsualrs! Where are you? That run was many years ago now. Have you given us your top 3? Manchester sounds fast! I will definitely run it one day, but I'm gonna look for something a bit earlier in the year but could well end up entering as there usually isn't a lot in Jan/Feb.

Music - I do run with, but only in my mind, currently listening to Civil War by Guns n Roses, I prefer to be alert to what's going on around me, especially in the later stages of a marathon campaign when I switch to "all road" rather than cross country and trail earlier on. Music is such a lifter, I remember Breakfast in America pumping out on a section of the Berlin marathon taking away my pain. WotW is awesome; if you haven't been to the live show get a ticket!

• Hi lowrez I've just moved back to the Wirral after 7-8 years away! Are you part of a running club? Where do you find the best runs are I've only been back a couple of weeks and struggling to find variation just tend to go up to westkirby via thurstaston and caldy! Just been to watch the start of the run Liverpool marathon can't wait for our day now really looking forward to it!