golliwog doll

13»

Comments

• Reality check it's only a doll, but if people want to prove how PC they can be then what's wrong with that
  • the swastika was around way before the Nazi took it over....but the fact is they did and they shouldn't be selling them in our toy shops with guns etc for kids to play with ....in my opinion....the golliwogs are a caricature and the name is offensive.........so why on earth would you want to buy one..........

• Basically there is nothing wrong about golliwog dolls. The problem is the "wog" element was adopted by racists and even unwittingly by non racists. Enter stage left a new era called "political correctness" and the poor dolly was consigned to the bin. What the dogooders' missed was that they had let the racists win! Probably most folk using the word "wog" nowadays have never heard of or seen a golliwog doll.

So what do we all think of that enduring perennial seaside family favourite "Punch and Judy"?

• children in schools in this country were called golliwog .not just wog,..it was meant as an insult and it worked.........can't see how stopping the word being used made it political correctness gone wrong..........if it was used to offend a big group of people.,and it succeeded.then allowing everyone to continue to use it would surely be letting the racists win.

• I still have my golly and my collection of Robertsons Gollies
  • I had a golliwog when I was a kid.  I just called it golli and dragged it around with another rag doll called Amelia Jayne who was an offish white colour.  Loved them both!

• I'm not suggesting people go to prison for having a golliwog but I don't think they are appropriate to have as a kids toy. Maybe as an antique in a museum they have a place but not in the bedrooms of imprssionable young minds. There is no reason why a doll shouldn't be black but the Uncle Tom image is insulting and I wouldn't blame a black person if they found it offensive.
  • I agree with most of what SR says (probably a firstimage).  I was just trying to put into context the view of the time when golliwogs were seem as harmless toys.  I actually have one given to me as a Christmas present by my gran when I was eight.  I would never get rid of it, but I don't display it.

• I'm also suprised that i am intotally agreement with SR for a change

• To those who say it is just a toy would you give this as a gift to a child of black, coloured or mixed race parentage?

• *stumbles out of cave into test room*

tester: Hello sir, in front of you there are two toys. One is an ugly lazy stereotype doll, the other is a harmless childrens toy.

http://0.tqn.com/d/collectibles/1/7/8/W/3/golliwog.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/5/1349459693068/Rooti-Dolls-012.jpg

tester: please pick the harmless toy

me: *grabs the golliwog* image

tester: image sir, you are a horrible racist 

me: image oh! Fine, I'll stick with my teddy then thanks image

• but no I wouldn't give a golliwog as a gift to any child, as rightly or wrongly, I do understand some people do see them as offensive. Likewise I wouldn't give a friend's child a Barbie on the same grounds. 

• I'm white and I was called 'golliwog' at school, it was my nick name. No one ever thought to call either of the 2 coloured children golliwog.

• my teacher used to call me a 'gonk' in school .... thank god I wasn't of Fijian or Hawaiian descent or I could have been traumatised for life .... how these things are still available I'll never know ... despicable racism at its very worst ...

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/attachments/chatter/19746d1344189799-more-top-tips-look-right-gonk20example13.jpg

Edited to add my deepest apologies for any offence that may have been caused by posting this picture.

• That's what my hair looks like this morning.

• Interesting debate. I was in Whitby not so long ago and was surprised to see a number of gift shops selling "traditional gollys".  Note they dropped the "wog" as if that made it okay. 

I try and imagine a black kid playing with a sterotyped image of a white person and how I might feel about that, but I suppose the fact that I've never been part of a persecuted minority the comparison isn't valid. 

I find them uncomfortable and wouldn't want a child to have one, even though I did as a child. I also had a black doll which was very unusual then and it was my favourite doll for ages although I was too young to be aware of racial issues. 

On balance I agree with SR too.