PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• My first too chaps - I'm pleased that I'm by no means on my own here. We've got a motorhome so we'll (me - and the wife and offspring support team!) be staying at the Caravan Club site just down the road.

• I'm booked into the Premier Inn Marlow too, with the £10 supplement. For Saturday and Sunday nights. My current thinking is that the family might not even bother coming. Alternatively they will just visit Sunday. One consideration is that I might end up in Henley/Marlow on my own and over the limit, trying to hitch to a station!

•  Just thought I'd add a halfers-list....

CH - entered
    Blisters
    ChallengeCheggers
    Fraggle
    Iron SwissBobby
    Rafiki
    M.eface
    Ultimate Badger
    Irondreamer

CH Half- arsed

Bedders

• CH - entered
    Blisters
    ChallengeCheggers
    Fraggle
    Iron SwissBobby
    Rafiki
    M.eface
    Ultimate Badger
    Irondreamer

CH Half- arsed

Bedders
    Hope

• Blistres/Cheggers/Bagder and anyone else - just to let you know, I'm fairly local to Henley and do a fair bit of cycling round parts of the course, so if you have any logistics questions feel free to ask. image

Also happy to organise a recce of the course nearer the time if anyones fancies it?

• Rafiki (and others!), I'm not exactly far away (Amersham) but don't know that part of the world all that well. Might know more after Sunday since I'm doing the half-marathon there. If I think of anything though I'll be asking - thanks.

Definately up for a recce nearer the time.

• +1 on the recce. I will definitely be up for that. Once the new course details have been published I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it.

Anyone using one of the Fink plans for training?

• recce sounds good to me too!

not sure on training plans yet.... still pouring over the books!

• I will be there, probably half arsed.My head and heart are disconnected on which distance to enter!

Hope, I see you are down for the half. Have you stuck to the IM retirement plan?

• I'm sussing out the Fink but think I'll probably end up on it. Not sure how my skiing holiday and summer holidays will fit in yet and also since I cycle as my main transport I'm not sure if that'll stuff it up. Looking at lots and learning lots at the moment!

• Cheggers - the first loop of the half marathon is basically the run course - nice and flat (unlike the second part of the half mara - enjoyimage)

• Cheggers, good that you are planning real life into your training. An idea I picked up last year was to give Fink a go for a couple of weeks as a 'trial' before then plan was due to start.

This allowed me to tweak sessions around and find how best to plan trainng around my other commitments.

Don't worry about holidays, especially if you can fit then around your 'easy' 4th week. I think the periodisation piece is important so if you can build to a big week before an easy week then it work, and you will ski like a god  from the extra fitness.

• Cheggers ... I live in Wendover   image

• image Cheggars you are in trouble now!!

• Damn right ... and you aren't out of the woods either Rafi!!

• I've seen Rafi climb hills like a rat up a drainpipe. He's in no danger image

• Sounds like I should be nervous.......but I can do hills if needs be - Peter's Hill (is that what it's called?) in Risborough is my favourite round here.

Finking about Fink - I bet that's originial - is good at the moment because whatever I want to do it's still 3 months before I need to do anthing properly. Allowing for a few week's of holidays mid-January is 30 weeks before Henley - but I'm not sure allowing for holidays is really the way it should be done, although that's the way it may have to be done!

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Isn't there a dusk till dawn in Bristol ?

Iron Muffin wrote (see)

I will be there, probably half arsed.My head and heart are disconnected on which distance to enter!

Hope, I see you are down for the half. Have you stuck to the IM retirement plan?

Not retirement, but I don't want to do a full one next year. I'm saving myself for the Pirate b'day one. image

I don't really have the inclination to do one every year and having done IMW and Outlaw fairly close together, I think a little break from the long LONG stuff is a good idea! image

• Oh... dunno what the Barley quote is doing there! I'm not stalking him... honest! image

• ChallengeCheggers wrote (see)

Sounds like I should be nervous.......but I can do hills if needs be - Peter's Hill (is that what it's called?) in Risborough is my favourite round here.

Finking about Fink - I bet that's originial - is good at the moment because whatever I want to do it's still 3 months before I need to do anthing properly. Allowing for a few week's of holidays mid-January is 30 weeks before Henley - but I'm not sure allowing for holidays is really the way it should be done, although that's the way it may have to be done!

Why not? You should perhaps allow 2 weeks latitude for sickness etc, so start 4 weeks early - either the first 4 weeks, or week1 x 4.

• Interesting. This was one of my questions - about starting early etc. I have one week with the tri. club in Lanza in March and there's bound to be other stuff (illness etc.) So, if I start a few weeks early to account for it, how would it work? What if I don't 'need' those buffer weeks in the end? Should I repeat one of the base weeks? If so, at which point do you decide you don't need those buffer weeks, thus 'removing' the leeway and head into the more intense periods.

I hope I'm making sense. image

• What is your base fitness like UB? I started 2 weeks early, and had a week in Dec off ill, and some crappy days throughout. So I had a 12 week base, 10 week build and 10 week peak. Just get some time under your belt at the beginning.

I had a crappy week somewhere in April and missed most of that week. I started the following week with the following week's plan. The plan will sway to an extent to outside pressures (family/job/real life) i,e. stuff that really matters, not IM!

Over the ~30 weeks you will miss sessions, and afterwards you will know whether you needed to miss those, of whether you just needed to HTFU. You can draw upon this for next time. An example for me - off a plane on any given Thur after a full day. I feel tired, but after missing that workout early on, I know that I just had to get out and do it.

The week in Lanza should be easy - all that training and no real life to get in the way!

• Base fitness is OK. I completed my first middle distance a few weeks back without too much pain.I have been doing tri's for a season and a smidge. I'll be ticking over during the next few months and I'm looking to sort my ITBS problem with some strength work in the gym, before starting Fink intermediate at the appropriate time.

I'm aware that I will miss some sessions due to life, I was thinking of starting two weeks early much as you did. I'm guessing if you manage to stick to the plan 80-90% of the time - it'll all be alreet? image

• I think you're doing much the same as I plan to UB. Allowing for my holidays (although the summer holidays do involve taking a bike to the Alps and doing some TDF climbs) I need to start on 13 Jan to get the full 30 weeks in (although my current base fitness is better than it has been for years).

I think I'm going to start on 6 Jan as the day Christmas finishes seems a good place to start - but all still subject to change. I've got a bike and a treadmill in the garage so the weather shouldn't matter too much.

I reckon I'll end up hitting the 80/90% amount of the plan too and if that's the best I can do that's just the way it'll have to be.
  • sh!T.

Formal planned training?

You mean that I'm not allowed to ham it up?

I've just purchased an important training motivation book by someone called Iron Holgs. It's my holiday read. I will need to get my head properly into gear.

• Good stuff Cheggers. Sounds like we can compare notes as we go! image

The only other thing I'm currently thinking about is the ol' 'tri vs. road bike' debate. It seems there's a fair amount of climbing/descending on the course and I prefer doing both of those on the road bike. I'm also not currently convinced that I could stay aero for 112 miles. Also, my goal for the race is to finish within the cutoff, period, not to eek out 20 or 30 minutes extra from the bike leg...decisions decisions.

• The evidence from my ride this morning is that if you have a comfy saddle you'll stay in it for longer. A happy rider is a focused rider. I'm not 100% happy yet. Especially one small part.

• Did some of the Henley route today. Forgot how lumpy it could be.

• indeed  - and the road surface is pretty awful too!  Did you get wet Cat? it's been lashing down here this morning.

• Formal planned training - I don't think I'd call it that. I don't like the idea that I'm doing formal planned training!

You want to be careful about that Ironholgs book. I read it and I've a feeling that it is what planted the idea of doing and Ironman type event in my head.

My aim is just to finish too but it'll definitely be on a road bike and won't be aero. My back wouldn't take it!

Finally I was out on some of the present bike route earlier - I might even have waved at you Ironcat (I'll wave at anyone!). Road surface still crap but I was pleased about how low I could keep my HR whilst going up Pishill. That was my concession to the fact I'm running Henley Half marathon tomorrow - keep my HR down. No sign of rain when I was out (7.45 for 2 hours) - but it's been damp since. Currently at River & Rowing Museum with the children