isolation

Hi all,

trainiing is hard. Whether a newbie or regular. How do you deal with spending time running or at the bar?

Comments

• Time running I think image no music it's a pleasure to be able to just think with no interruptions.
  • I have to have music, couldn't run without it. I'd rather run with someone but don't have anyone to run with so the music keeps me company!
  • Hi thanks for reply

me i;m the opposite. It's me and  the road. The next step, the look at scenery, when on the flat. West yorkshire rarely on flat. The determination to that one laststep.

The cars go by, I won't let myself down, nor those that believe in me.

Does this makes sense I some runners make sense of the isolation on the road etc?

• Hi Kittenkat,

No I have not got you wrong.

I live alone, so when I go running, its like being part of the environment, I'm starting to notice regular people who run or or people take their dogs out for a walk etc.

• I work in the city so, for me its a time to refresh the mind, release the stress and to see a more pleasant side of the world... I train just me and the road.

Training is what you make it, image

• Hi Kittenkat Trailrunner,

I wish I could have a dog, two reasons why I don't, I don't have a garden, and I'm not disciplined to look after one either.

Thats exactly how I feel trailrunner, me and the road.

I typed this post as I remember reading an article "The loneliness of the distance runner."

And its true, but what a great way to get rid of your  frustrations of the day.

Sounds like you have a full house Kittenkat?

• I talk to people in my head when I'm running, not always but I do find myself doing it. Often I'm describing the route or prompting my imaginary companion to look at the view or mind the dog poo.

• Its the only time of the week (apart from the drive to work which is not that fun) that there is just me.

Sometimes I enjoy the scenery, sometimes crunch problems in my head others I just zone out and clear my head.

• I have an almost pathalogical need for external stimulation. I struggle when left alone in silence. If i get home and my gf is at work or out, I have to turn on the radio or the TV for comfort. Not sure where this comes from, a lot of time spent on my own as a kid, so I need background noise of some kind.

I like the idea of going out running without music, but whenever i've tried I found it seems much more effort. Perhaps because I live in london and most of my running is through urban landscape, it's not exactly peaceful countryside running, although we have nice parks, there are few places that are genuinely serene.

having said all that, I went away to California in the summer, and one of my favourite places (which surprised me) was in the middle of the Mojave desert. Totally serene and peaceful.

• Bring on the being alone I say.  My running is one of the few times I can be on my own and just have head space for me.  So much so that depending on the time of day I will plan my run routes around where I'll meet the least people.

• Morning all,

Sorry not been in, I have psyhically been feeling a little rough.

Yes AgentGinger being in a desert is a sureal yet for some people a time where you can be just there in the moment. I spent Christmas Eve in the Saraha desert Morocco some tens years ago. Also, thats ok having some form of company of your own, be it the tv or radio. You may be surprised but most people have to something on when they come back home.

Mr B that sounds like a really good idea, espcially when you don't have much time on your own.

Bex Hill nothing wrong with that.

Steve Rand 7 I sometimes do that. I'm finding that whereas I used to go out and get drunk, I'm finding that I'm naturally going out for a run instead to work through problems, no  matter what they are.

Hi Kittenkat, that sounds like they all keep you busy.

•   Hi all,

Do polar bears get lonely? I feel more or less like that when I'm running. Back in my early twenties I studied T'ai chi ch'uan for a couple of years, and now I try to bring that kind of concentration to my running. That is to say, I try to be totally focused on my technique - an endless quest for the perfect gait, the perfect footfall and the perfect breath. It may sound silly, but it works for me.

• Hi all,

Perezoso does not sound silly at all. This thread is all about what we do think feel etc when we run. Nice to hear from you image

Running means different things for diffrent people.

I don't know whether this is changing the thread or not, let me know? But...

Do we change before during or after a run of any kind?

• firstly i love to run alone. I was the youngest of 4 growing up and i now have 3 little boys of my own with school runs..parties..clubs. so when i close the.door and press start on my garmin its total bliss. I have tried running with friends but it's not the same. I like to let my mind take me places.

secondly...do we change...yes. Before a run im generally slightly anxious for various reasons. My runs i am able to offload thoughts and feelings resulting in a calmer me.. I always feel great and proactive after a run..more energized and organised
  • Morning all,

Hi gemgemex.

There seems to be some peeople that do enjoy running alone, I do to.

I like  the way that people use running to clear their heads. I guess its like the old saying. " A change is as good as a rest." Hope that makes sense?

Happy running over the weekend all.

• This is an Introvert/Extrovert thing.

By definition Introverts find constant company draining, and recharge their batteries with 'alone time', Extraverts find company energising and start to flag when on their own. It's not quite the same as being shy/loud, a very personable and friendly person may be an Introvert, for example.

I'm an Introvert, and for me my little Couch to 5k runs are part of the very valuable 'alone time' I cherish, and discovering running has therefore been one of the best things ever. Unlike my other interests (reading, chess, programming, music composition) this gets me outdoors and keeps me fit! Unlike team sports or martial arts classes I can do it whenever I wish, so I have complete freedom.

Wonderful stuff image

• Hi All,

dogsolitue_uk an interesting way of looking at running, I have never thought of it like that before. I like espcially knowing what we do mentally and pysically to recharge or let go our batteries in our spare time.

I watch way to much tv, yet my runs are getting me fit. Tv wastes time yet if only i could get into habit of the radio i could at least do more in the home.

For eg i will go out for my run, type up fourums, afterwards, the neighbours cat comes outside to sy hello, and do my housework. But then mistake of watching tv. When i want to learn German so I can surprise my brother who lives there now.

Cna self discipline and being adaptable to a routine reall work together, if so how?

• Some days I need music or a podcast to listen to. Some days I use running to think, sometimes to clear my head and sometimes I just like to run.

Whichever it happens to be, the time is all mine to enjoy as I see fit. A rare commodity.

• If I'm running outside I tend to be concentrating on not going too fast and not tripping over.  If on the treadmill, I usually either play music in my head or have imaginary conversations with famous people. image 

I think it would be nice occasionally to run with somebody but mostly I like being on my own - I usually feel more confident afterwards and always happier (unless it's been an absolute stinker).

• Hi all,

HalfRunnerHalfBiscuit, what your saying is coming out from most people who run, its that quality time out for just you and noone else.

Its just for some beginners or returners to running, like me on how to be adaptable yet disciplined to get out there and do it. in other words being that couch poatoe out of our system.

• Hi all,

Daughterofdawn, I wish I could have a treadmill, but I'm in an upstairs flat with just a wooden floor, worried it would go through floor and onto my neighbour (an Inspector Cluso moment) image.hhhmmm I understand about confidence and running with people, or even own own, I've gotten used to the latter one (i'm overweight), yet were all wanting to run with each other, its just fitting into being with other group members that gets me. But I will keep trying, any advice?

I like the fact that running allows your confidence to return to some degree.

feel free to post as much or as little as you want here.

• sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi All,

dogsolitue_uk an interesting way of looking at running, I have never thought of it like that before. I like espcially knowing what we do mentally and pysically to recharge or let go our batteries in our spare time.

I watch way to much tv, yet my runs are getting me fit. Tv wastes time yet if only i could get into habit of the radio i could at least do more in the home.

For eg i will go out for my run, type up fourums, afterwards, the neighbours cat comes outside to sy hello, and do my housework. But then mistake of watching tv. When i want to learn German so I can surprise my brother who lives there now.

Cna self discipline and being adaptable to a routine reall work together, if so how?

TBH I'd just ditch the TV. I stopped watching it years ago! If there's something I want to watch I use iPlayer or pick up a DVD box set (currently watching my way through Breaking Bad and The Ascent of Man), that way TV fits into *my* schedule, not the other way round image I think with a lot of us we spend a lot of time 'running on autopilot' rather than really thinking about what we're doing and ensuring we do the important stuff, like running or mowing the lawn or reading that book we meant to read or doing a jigsaw with our kids.

Or you could combine watching TV with, say, learning German:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/talk/introductions/

Also, I think there's a bit of a mental block: sometimes a part of us thinks that going for a run will take up the whole evening.  Well, it takes me five minutes to get changed from work clothes into my running stuff, half an hour for a Couch to 5k podcast run, and a few minutes for slobbing about with my banana and chocolate milk when I get back, so I'm usually done with running for the evening by half six.

Blimey, when I think about it I'm only actually running for an hour and a half each week (I run for 30 mins on Mondays, Weds and Fridays), and there are 168 hours in the week! That's about 1% of my time...image

• Pretty much what others have said. I agree about the introvert / extrovert thing too. I've a friend who cannot be in her own company.. Needs others, or to be busy. Has a toddler yet still says she's 'bored' !

I like my own company and my dogs. I'd go as far as to say I prefer being with them to most people, even my OH sometimes. I like the personality of dogs compared to people - they are consistent and have no hidden agendas. They are black or white in their behaviour.

I run with my dogs or alone. I like remote isolated rural places to run. Favourite is running through wooded areas. If I see another runner it's tainted my run. Seeing no one is perfect, seeing wildlife is a bonus. Experiencing the changing seasons, seeing crops and trees changing.. Realising how insignificant we are in our environment, the freedom of just being out there running. Something primitive about it.

I don't think I'd feel the same plodding through the streets.. Environment is a big deal to me.
  • Hi All,

Wow dogsolitude_uk I never though of it like that. My big tv is on way out, I might just not buy another and try your way for a whille. I never thought of breaking things down into what we do with our hours of the day, let alone for running.

I have saved the link you posted, and i will take a look at it. But i ahve one that teaches you 7 words a day for 7 weeks, its that tv again lol. It will just have to be the smaller one for dvd etc, and like you said, use the iplayer and others.

Its time for me to catch up with new technology to free up my time. Thanks for that one.

• sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi All,

Wow dogsolitude_uk I never though of it like that. My big tv is on way out, I might just not buy another and try your way for a whille. I never thought of breaking things down into what we do with our hours of the day, let alone for running.

I have saved the link you posted, and i will take a look at it. But i ahve one that teaches you 7 words a day for 7 weeks, its that tv again lol. It will just have to be the smaller one for dvd etc, and like you said, use the iplayer and others.

Its time for me to catch up with new technology to free up my time. Thanks for that one.

Awesome image What happened with me was that my set-top-box died a couple of years back, and had to wait until the following weekend to replace it due to work commitments. For a week I had no TV in the evenings, just my laptop, books, CDs, some computer games etc.

During that period I read a couple of books, learned some chess openings, watched iPlayer, cooked some really awesome fresh food and listened to Radio 3.

I never bothered replacing the set top box! I was free! image

• Hi All,

Feral it is becoming apparent that we do like our own space when we run, whether its in a city or in woods. The isolation to some degree somes to motivate most of to run longer and strive to be faster to.

The passion youu show for annimals is fantastic and the environment, its a shame that we seem to be losing the battle regarding with the environment. I hope its not too often you bump into another runner? I like the way you sometimes take your dogs out running with you. I toally understand why you find them better company, than people, and other half.

Hope your runs this weekend have gone well, if you been on any so far?

• I felt more isolated when I ran with earbuds in and music as you are blocking the world out. I accidentally forgot to charge my iPod on a long 15 miler LSR in training one day and it ran out at about 5 miles.. I didn't notice until the last mile or so that it was no longer playing and I felt like the time had just flown by with me thinking of random things.

Since then no more music (and id just bought some expensive earbuds aarrgh) on runs and I get so much more out of it, listening to what's going on around me, wildlife, putting the world to rights and dreaming what I'd do if I were president of the universe...