Chronic underachiever

13»

Comments

• Why not play it by ear and see how you feel on the day? Sorry bit of a cop out answer.

I am having a dilemma too with what to do at Aviemore. I did a 10k last week and got a gun time of 54:53 which according to the predictor on here would mean a time of 02:00:58 for HM. How annoying would that be?

However at it is my first HM am guaranteed a PB but have been offered a bonus for the charity I am running for if break 2 hours! But equally don't want to be a DNF!

Sorry that slipped into my dilemma!

• Hi Crimson,

I think that your adrenaline on the day  will probably knock those 58 seconds off quite easily!  It sounds like you've been working hard for this so I really hope it all comes together for you on the day.  And, as you said, whatever you do it will be a PB so there's always that to celebrate image I genuinely hope it goes well for you  - if the weather stays like this it should be great conditions for the race.

I think I'm turning into a terrible wimp with races.  Probably just seeing how I feel on the day is the way forward.  Maybe I'll make husband slow down and pace me!!  I don't know if I'm looking forward to it or not - it seems like a lovely course but I'm still feeling a bit raw after Glasgow. 

We'll find out soon, I suppose. 

• start with well i haven't trained enough to break my PB so i'll start nice and relaxed,then see how well your going just after half way,if you feel good then push the pace,if not then just enjoy.Sure you'll have another go soon. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't try and PB it - you're not ready. You need to be more patient and selective in your target races. From reading back, you're not ready yet and you'll going to be massively disappointed when you don't get it and want to chuck it in again.

Be patient - get th e right training behind you and pick an goal race or I fear you're literally going to be back on page 1
  • @RubbishRunner - I notice you still havent changed your name after many people suggested you should at the beginning of the thread ? I have read this thread and, whilst you dont have as much of a negative attitude as you did immediately after Glasgow, I think you could still be more positive in your approach. Whilever you have those negative things in the back of your mind that may well affect your future training and races. Maybe a more positive/less negative name could be the first step in your new improved approach.

Try and be more positive and good luck with Aviemore !

• I was one of the people who suggested it; but I have noticed the more positive attitude. It is good to read. Maybe the name could become a paradox in time to come?

• Thanks everyone image  I don't want to change my name just yet - I want to earn a name change!!!  It's okay, I'll get there one day!

I am trying so hard not to get stressed about running because that's the opposite of how it's supposed to be.  For example, this morning was glorious, the sun was coming up over the loch and there was a low mist with the mountains peering out over the top.  I stopped to take a picture, reprimanded myself for not taking my running seriously enough -  then gave myself a shake and thought that of course I shouldn't take my running too seriously.  I'm not an athlete; I'm not going to win anything!  If I want to take a photo, that's fine image

I think you're all right about the run on Sunday.  I will run it for enjoyment's sake, maybe a wee bit faster than a long slow run but not out to try and set any records.  I will do my best to stick to that thought and not berate myself if it's not a great time.  Positive mental attitude - it starts here!!! 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

It makes sense RR. If you have the need to 'get something' out of it, use it as training run. Either run it at your LSR pace or how about 1 hour @ easy (LSR) pace and then 1 hour @ MP?

You can still train smart and get benefit from the run without going flat out for a PB. You can run smugly round knowing that you're simply training and working towards the goal of a PB in the future

• Just wondering how you got on?
  • Really enjoyed it!! So much downhill image I started off nice and easy, just enjoying the scenery, and for the first time ever I actually felt I got stronger as I ran. Wasn't chasing a PB but the hills helped me to finish in just over 2h 1min so pleased overall!!

Hope it went well for you- I was trying to spot someone wearing new shoes but I think the mud might have made that tricky today image
  • Well done that is fab! Ran it in 2:11:01 which I am very happy with! Enjoyed the first 7 miles but hated the last 6 miles on the road!
  • Hi Crimson,

Well done - your first half marathon done and you're still in one piece!  When is the next one?image The trail part of the run was really lovely - I had a good time dodging puddles until I ended up in one - the water was so cold!  I think I'm so used to running on roads that the last 6miles didn't bother me at all - they passed very pleasantly, actually, rather than my usual desperate struggle to the finish line.

I think there's something to this slow running after all... image

• That is what I can't decide what next? Have dodgy back/pelvis so think need to find more trail based stuff as road was hard! Don't train much on road as lucky enough to have loch and canal towpath nearby!

What is next for you?
  • Hi Crimson,

I think your effort is even more amazing now, with your back problems.  That can't be fun - no wonder you didn't like the roads.  Maybe it is worth looking into trail runs a bit more.  I'm actually doing a trail running weekend in the lake district at the beginning of November.  It's following early advice on this thread to find something different to do.  It's two approx 10mile races over 2 days.   I've entered the walkers/slow runners group so there's no pressure of time.  It will be my first proper trail running experience so I'll let you know how it goes!  It looks very hilly; I'm not sure how I feel about that!  I'll just have to convince myself it's doing me good, even if I feel like I want to die!!

If nothing else, it should be a nice weekend away and something different for a few hours.  I'll bring my camera along and see if I can get some decent shots to take my mind off the actual running image

I hope you find something else to run  - I think training for something is good motivation to get out in the bad weather (11months of the year in Scotlandimage ).

• I also did Aviemore on Sunday, it was also my fist half marathon, it was an amazing event I enjoyed the off road section the most, even though I ran the second half of the race faster, I finished in 2:03:49 delighted with my time and have already signed up for the global HM in Inverness on the 17th March.

Crimson sorry to hear about your back problems I spoke to a guy who was suffering with his back with about a mile to go that wasn't you? 

• StewartC wrote (see)

Crimson sorry to hear about your back problems I spoke to a guy who was suffering with his back with about a mile to go that wasn't you? 

No not me afraid I wouldn't have been very chatty at that point! Glad you enjoyed it too!

Rubbishrunner wrote (see)

Hi Crimson,

I think your effort is even more amazing now, with your back problems.  That can't be fun - no wonder you didn't like the roads.  Maybe it is worth looking into trail runs a bit more.  I'm actually doing a trail running weekend in the lake district at the beginning of November.  It's following early advice on this thread to find something different to do.  It's two approx 10mile races over 2 days.   I've entered the walkers/slow runners group so there's no pressure of time.  It will be my first proper trail running experience so I'll let you know how it goes!  It looks very hilly; I'm not sure how I feel about that!  I'll just have to convince myself it's doing me good, even if I feel like I want to die!!

If nothing else, it should be a nice weekend away and something different for a few hours.  I'll bring my camera along and see if I can get some decent shots to take my mind off the actual running image

I hope you find something else to run  - I think training for something is good motivation to get out in the bad weather (11months of the year in Scotlandimage ).

I think you are right trail runs are the way forward or at least partial trail runs! I have actually discovered I like uphill!

Am hoping that if I lose some weight it will help my back/pelvis and make road running more of an option. Lost weight through running but being treated for anaemia so was advised not to diet but iron levels almost normal so can look at diet aswell now. God I sound like I am falling apart!

Trail weekend sounds good do let us know how you get on!

C

PS My son has just been reading over my shoulder and declared that Rubbishrunner is a stupid name for someone who can run a Half Marathon!

• Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I'm hoping my running "recovery" might be of benefit to anyone feeling the same way.

I've been enjoying running my runs at a slower pace - it just takes the pressure off knowing that I've achieved something by not trying too hard all the time.  It's definitely left me fresher for my faster runs and I'm running comfortably (although it's not an "easy" run) at my marathon pace over 8 miles.  I'm hoping this stays comfortable as the mileage increases - I suppose there's no reason it shouldn't image

I've just had my first trail running experience and absolutely loved it!  Crimson, if you think you might enjoy it you should definitely give it a go.  All thoughts of pace went out the window and my main aim became simply to not sprain my ankle! It's so much fun!  Mud to your ankles, tree roots to skip over, rocks to avoid and streams to run in and across.  It's awesome!  Totally hooked - can't wait to find another one image  It definitely works different muscles - I could feel it in my abdominal muscles after yesterday's run.  Not sure how it would be with back problems though - maybe okay as long as you're careful?

I honestly didn't believe I could be anywhere near as enthusiastic about running again after the disappointment I felt in September.  Thanks everyone image

The rehabilitation continues...