Power walkers...

Comments

• Tommygun2 wrote (see)

But whats the point of that schmunks, if they can do that they may as well run it faster. (sorry I just don't get the Power walking thing)

Manybe because they may not want to?  Because they may have injuries?  Breathing problems?  Who knows.  But at the end of the day, it's their decision. Who are we to judge whether one way of getting from A to B is better or worse than another?

I went out for a run with Barlos on Sunday at a v slow pace.  My feet were coming off the ground at a quicker pace than if I was walking.  My heart rate was elevated. It was not running, but neither was it walking

He carried on at the same pace, yet I was able to power walk to keep up with him.  My heart rate dropped and there was less impact as my tread was more gentle. 

I reckon I was going at the same pace whether I was 'jogging' or whether I was 'power walking', but the power walking was less impact and was easier on my asthma and therefore I felt more comfortable from the power walk angle.

And yes, Barlos was surprised too as he had never had experience of it before.  He thought like you, that power walking was somehow inferior to running (sorry, rash judgement there), but I proved to him I can power walk at his slow jogging pace and be in a much better state at the end image

• Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    Why all the gear? Some of them look like they are about to do UTMB, not a stroll around the block.

But it's not a stroll.  What you're referring to is leisure/fitness walking.  Power walking is a purposeful long stride with exaggerated arm movements with elevated heart rate etc

A stroll implies a leisurely walk down the local high street or through the woods with no rise in breathing or HR

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

So what's the etiquette when you're catching up with a power walker, walking faster using your more natural and efficient walking action?  Overtake anyway, break into a jog, or drop back so as not to offend?

• I lost loads of weight when I was long distance walking and at my best, got down to around a 5 hour walked marathon time. I was training for a specific event (the Njmegen Marches in Holland) where I had to walk 30 miles a day for four consecutive days.

I then returned to running, and yes I'm faster as a runner, but I have had more injuries and gained the weight I lost back.

I'm having a year off from all events in 2013, but I would seriously consider getting back into things via walking and the LDWA the year after.
  • They wear the gear for the same reason we do. Because they are working up a sweat, getting hot and want to be comfortable. Power walking is done at around 80% mhr.

Why should a power walker want to 'move on' to running. Maybe they think runners will eventually move on to pwer walking.

It's a different sport.

• Sport? Is there a power walking championship? As I remember it, power walking is walking purposefully with exaggerated upper body movement to give an all over work out. A good way to keep fit without stressing the body as much as running. You could no more be competitive at it then you could be at Pilates or Yoga.
  • One of the definitions of sport is to mock or ridicule someone/thing.  Sounds familiar?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm actually surprised to see another definition is "an active pastime, recreation".

So feeding the ducks is sport then.

• Actually sport as a verb to mock is not familiar at all. Like " Bear B Hind made a stupid comment and everyone else sported him" ??
  • "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?"

How apt.
  • Nice quote from someone who lived hundreds of years ago who makes no sense whatsoever.

Is saying how apt after a borrowed quote supposed to make you all clever?

Use " I took the sport out of him" in your own words

No offence
  • Keep your skirt on. It was actually nothing to do with you in particular, rather an illustration of how BB was using the word "sport". It's no less valid for being written longer ago than yesterday's Daily Star.

All quotes are borrowed, it's implicit in the word "quote".
  • My Skirt is on Mr Puff. Just some good humored Saturday night banter.

If I quoted from something I Had written myself. Would that be a borrowed quote?
  • Don't be so quick to judge. I am in recovery phase after surgery to replace my left hip joint and under strict orders not to run until Christmas - so I am power-walking with my dog who needs exercise. And so do I.

• Nice one Bionic. Well done. We can rebuild you.
  • I think at least one of the sunday magazines is advocating this as an excercise regime- can't remember the exact description, but I did see a freebie magazine fall out of a newspaper a wee while ago- as you say- better then sitting on a fat arse on the sofa, so perhaps we shoudn't sneer- and once they've bought all that running kit, maybe they'll decide to take up running!

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    BBH is a girl.
  • Tommygun2 wrote (see)

Power Walkers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZJ8S-nzxGPg/RzxYAn04I5I/AAAAAAAAABI/WX6F9BMdDpo/S254/power+walking+women.jpg

Race Walkers

http://www.sportsister.com/wp-content/uploads2/Getting-started-Race-walking2.png

theres power walkers and theres race walkers and then there is Gladys, leagues ahead of them all image

• I can't tell a boy bear from a girl bear. I'm not David bloody Attenborough y'know
  • tricialitt wrote (see)

I think at least one of the sunday magazines is advocating this as an excercise regime- can't remember the exact description, but I did see a freebie magazine fall out of a newspaper a wee while ago- as you say- better then sitting on a fat arse on the sofa, so perhaps we shoudn't sneer- and once they've bought all that running kit, maybe they'll decide to take up running!

maybe they have no desire to run.maybe they enjoy the power walking and the fitness it brings.its a different activity........not one that is inferior to running......

• seren nos wrote (see)
    tricialitt wrote (see)

I think at least one of the sunday magazines is advocating this as an excercise regime- can't remember the exact description, but I did see a freebie magazine fall out of a newspaper a wee while ago- as you say- better then sitting on a fat arse on the sofa, so perhaps we shoudn't sneer- and once they've bought all that running kit, maybe they'll decide to take up running!

maybe they have no desire to run.maybe they enjoy the power walking and the fitness it brings.its a different activity........not one that is inferior to running......

Agree with Seren.

• I can tell a boy bare from a girl bare.

• I've seen a couple of Women waddling around. I don't know why they don't just run to be honest. And, yes, Power Walking is a different activity... that is clearly inferior to Running. hahaha.

• Clearly none of the men amongst you has gone along to watch the Moonwalk (or the Sunwalk), which a/ raises a shedload of cash for charity, and b/ consists of 17,000 women all in their bra's image.

If I hadn't power walked 2 marathons, it never would have occurred to me that I was physically capable of running. ( Possibly because I started out weighing the equivalent of two people).

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. My DH is a runner, but power walked a marathon for Macmilan last year. He reckons power walking is harder (at a decent speed) than running.

• What the fuck is a DH?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Are men allowed to participate in the Moonwalk in a bra?
  • "17,000 ford cortinas" brilliant, know exactly what you're saying and thought the same thing image

• Tina, don't knock it until you've tried it? I've never eaten horse-shit...