Training Peaks?

I get a great deal of motivation and pleasure from looking at my achievements/stats on both Strava and Garmin Connect. I currently use a Garmin Forerunner 210 watch and may also get a Garmin 800 for use on the bike.

I noticed that a LOT of triathletes seem to use Training Peaks. I was wondering if there is any value in my using training peaks when a) i don't have a power meter due to the cost and b) i am already using strava and garmin connect?

I wish I had a power meter. Trainerroad, which i just got and have used only once, shows a 'virtual power' rating and it is a brilliant statistic. However, I can in no way justify the cost of an actual power meter image Would love one though.

Comments

• I dont have a power meter  or use strava, I dont use Garmin connect

I do use TP for logging and planning and I upload my files (admittedly via GC)

Horses for courses, find a system you like and use it

• Meldy do you use premium or free?

• Dont let Meldy fool you with all that nonsense above, she doesnt actually ever train! image

• I think Training Peaks is a great tool for proper SERIOUS athletes. who are looking to squeeze the last ounce out of training, and who know a lot about physiology of the body / training stress / etc. Have a listen to IMTalk podcasts when they talk about it to get a feeling.

Having said that I think you can try the Premium version for free for a month at the momnet - its a Kona week special I think.

Personally I use Sporttracks ( http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/) for offine, which is fantastic for my level of analytical ability. I can look at pace, heart rate zones, interval efforts, etc.

I upload to Strava as a backup as much as anything. And to find the one segment where I have somehow beaten Cheerful Dave on! (though he may have been running it whilst I was biking otherwise I dont see how I can have beaten him!) 

• Gladys oh ok i have not heard of sporttracks. I will check that out. Trainingpeaks seems too serious for me from what you have written. I don't really fancy tracking how much I slept or what I ate either.

How does sporttracks compare to garmin connect?

• Ah i know why I don't use sporttracks. It is windows only.

• I used various free websites depending on my hr watch

Suunto moves count - ok but now moved to garmin gear

Strava

Garmin connect

Tri blogs

Now trainng peaks

Tri blogs is a really good planning/ basic data recording tool. i like it alot and used it for 2 years

Strava etc is nice for the segements / compatisons

Garmin is ok..... Used it for 3 months. like the hr graphs etc

Tp is the best but you have to be serious to pay the yearly cost (im talk discount)

It takes some time to set up graphs etc neen using it for the last 4 months.

I like the perfirmance manager/tss concept.
  • tfktfk ✭✭✭

+1 for the sporttracks recommendation...it really is good.

You can get a turbo based power from your trainer by usingone of the plugins (trainer power i think it's called) this uses speed as a proxy for power by referring to a power/speed profile for your trainer.

of course absolutely no use when it comes to riding on the road image

---------------------------------------------------------------

Better 5k, Duathlon and Triathlon

More: http://the5krunner.com

Goals: 82% Age Graded 5k and an open water Triathlon.

• Gladys M. wrote (see)

I upload to Strava as a backup as much as anything. And to find the one segment where I have somehow beaten Cheerful Dave on! (though he may have been running it whilst I was biking otherwise I dont see how I can have beaten him!) 

I've been slacking, obviously.  I'll take you down eventually image

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Gladys M. wrote (see)

I've been slacking, obviously.  I'll take you down eventually image

Not telling you on what section it is!!