Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• Sean Gavin 2 wrote (see)
    http://www.runwales.com/events/conwy-half-marathon

Thinking of a good race to make use of all that marathon traing? 3 weeks after the big one!

Oooh.  I just see that this is from www.runwales.com  Nothing to do with me. Hope they don't sue me for nicking their name!  Making me wonder if I should change mine.

• Well, last long run done before the half! Now time for a bit of a taper to get my legs nice and fresh for the big day image

• Just seen on amazon website the high 5 marathon packs are ??5.50 at the min with free postage from discount supplements usually arrive in a couple of days of any one was thinking bout trying them before the big day this is a cheap way of getting a lot of gels, good value for money!
  • Run Wales - I know the guy who organises the Conwy half and I'm sure he wont mind you dropping his name in - all publicity is good publicity as they say! Whereabouts in Wales are you based? Do you do any of the local races?

• Lowrez, I'm in grange over sands and work in Barrow (at the obvious place).

Top 3? Hmmm.

1. Crossing the finish line in the Olympic stadium at the Athens marathon in 2010 - truly epic day

2. Breaking sub40 for a 10k for the first time - only realised it was on the cards when I came onto the running track 400m before the finish (never run a final 400 so fast or with as big a grin)

3. Winning my first ever ever running prize as first vet in the cross-bay half earlier this year. I am a glory hound! image
  • Good luck to everyone with the final couple of weeks training- I'm doing my last long run before the half tomorrow and then it'll just be the nervous waiting.

My top 3 memories are:

1. Running my second 5k of the couch to 5k programme last year. I was on holiday near Conwy and got out early one sunny morning to run to the castle and back, and I suddenly realised what all the fuss was about running (although the hills were a killer!)

2. Finishing my first 10k race, but being a bit gutted that I did it 60mins 6seconds

3. Going out one evening and getting caught in snow and hail combined with a horizontal wind. Could barely look where I was going so tripped over a Christmas tree left out on the pavement. Got home resembling something that had been dragged through a hedge with blood pouring down my leg and I had also forgotten to take my make up off so I looked like a panda. Had the best hot bath after. 

Hoping to add finishing my first half marathon to the list in 2 weeks time! 

• sean... tried to pm you to answer... but not working.  Am in south wales.. think many miles from your area. 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

RD34 - I'm at Neston and tend to head back towards Willaston, Hooton and Eastham; have you got on to the Wirral Way yet? Runs the full length of The Wirral from Hooton. I've never looked for any clubs - really enjoy my own space when I'm out running.

SJ - wonder if our paths ever crossed in the yard? Been a good few years though. You are very fleet of foot - great memories - great pace!

Sat here wondering if I can crack 4 in a fortnight; 5 at marathon pace (in theory) on Saturday in 42mins - disappointed - was trying for 8s and really struggled, although the route was more than undulating, 12.5 yesterday at easy pace in 2:02 - if I am honest I pushed it a bit, but heartened by the time. Just need to feel good on the day. Here it comes,,,yeehaar! 

• Think my plans for accommodation have fallen though image.  Any suggestions of a good B&B with family rooms and a comfortable bed?  Thanks.

lowrez - runs in the last couple of weeks always seem harder than they should.  If the majority of training has gone well, by the time you're fully tapered you'll be okay.  Don't worry about it now, the hard work is done, have faith in your training.  Think of yourself achieving your goal and you'll stand a better chance of getting it!!!  Inner demons need to be locked away and silenced at this point in marathon preparation!!!

• Hi Forever Hopeful,

Depends what you want to pay... but a week ago, there were family rooms left in the Holiday Inn for about 75 quid... but I think that there was some deal that runners could get them for 60.  But maybe that was a time limited offer.   It's certainly convenient.. so if it might suit, it could be worth a call.

• It's worth checking the Holiday Inn without the marathon offer as when I looked (out of pure nosiness) it was less than £60 for a non-promotional rate, although you wouldn't get late checkout.

• Thanks lowrez will look into the Wirral way haven't been on there as of yet! I'm sure with the adrenalin an the occasion of the day you will crack the 4 hour mark!!
  • Run Wales - I'm guessing your routes are quite different to ours then.  Takes me 90mins to get to my Mum's in Preston compared to 4 hours plus (on a good run) to get to the in-laws in the Rhondda.  Having said that there's usually a few people from here go down to do the Cardiff half.  Race the train in Tywyn, mid Wales is a classic event if you get the chance also. 14 miles of fun!

• There is a travellogde just outside of preston, which might be ok for people

Try this post code :

PR5 6BZ

• My wife did 15m of the route on Sunday and I was driving with drinks and changed of clothes. At about mile 14ish of the route the road is very flooded. So flooded wifey had to jump in van to get through. Do you think it'll get pumped , I can't see it going anywhere in next few week. it might be the place to watch from.
  • You just want to see people fall in it 9 lol

I have heard parts of it are flooded, so i guess we will just have to wait and see if it vanishes. Fingers crossed it does. I did the Lancaster HM a few years ago and part of that course were flooded

I will be running a 14 m look of the course myself on Sunday so will post an update either that evening or monday, as to the condition of the route.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

FH and RD34 - My fears are indeed because of a lack of application in training; I would normally have gone through 6 weeks of alternating 16 and 20 mile long runs, but I left it far too late to pick up training, mainly because I watched almost every second of the Olympics and Paralympics. Consequently I have topped out at one 18 mile long run (in a good series of 10, 12, 14, 10, 16, 18). I've also not done all the mid-week work I should have. However! Prior to that I was hitting all the right notes and have a good base behind me. I agree; this is no time for doubting. Can't wait for the gun, the wading through flooded sections and the cheering crowds!

Will be picking up my running vest and T shirt a week on Saturday on the way to the Expo. I know they say never wear anything you haven't run in already, but, if the vest fits and feels OK I may wear it; in South America its traditional to wear the vest handed out prior to the run...I felt a bit out of place not wearing mine that time out.

No carb drink on course? Will have to make do with the gels; I always feel safer for carb intake with a bottle than using gels, but I should get used to both really; at Coniston it was Kendal Mint Cake and water; that worked fine too, but quite radical discovering it just the day before - never try anything different on the day?

• The 10-day weather forecast now reaches as far as Friday 26th October.   This one seems to be predicting that we'll be in a fairly settled period of cool weather.

It also suggests that there will be opportunities for any flood waters to recede between now and then.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Preston-UKXX0282

• Accuweather.com goes further out and has it as quite blustery on the 28th - lots can change between now and then though!
  • Inaccuweather.com  - I hope.

• just done 8 mile run at 8.07 follows my 15 run last sunday at 8.10 so im well chuffed i might be ready.going to do 10 or 12 on sunday morn then thats me done,  ok help ppl plz  ,i road bike it to work 6 days a week 3mile there 3 mile home,should i put bike away from this weekend?

• Hi to all the couty council have been working on the drains and gullies on new hey lane at last today and flood water has gone so no need for flippers.If I was you I would not look to far ahead with weather as winds can change and so will the weather. Well good luck and I will see you all pass me at the marathon and half marathon split as I will be marshalling so lets hope for sun sun sun.
  • Thanks for the info, I think I'm sorted now.  Is anyone leaving it until race morning to collect number?  It says 'at your own risk' - how risky is it going to be??? 

• I'll be travelling up to Lancashire on the Friday.... staying about 45min from Preston.  I think it will be good for me to see the town centre the day before, so I'll go to the expo to pick it up.

If you leave it to race day, who knows what the risk will be... but you hope that the organisers are just covering themselves in case havock is caused by some unexpected admin error ...  or a couple of key people call in sick on the Sunday morning.  They're open from (I think) 7am... so if you get there by 7.30, I'd expect you to be OK.   The downside is that if the queue is slow, you're on your feet for ages, and also feeling a little stressed, neither of which is ideal.

Is there no way that someone else can pick them up the day before?

• Rick, keep on cycling - it'll do you no harm - as long as you avoid the cars etc!!
  • Thanks for the heads up alan

As for the weather reports, I think ive heard before that they are only really accurate up to five days before, the day they are forecasting and even then things can change. So don't fret about that just yet people.

And rick id go with Slokey joe and say your be fine to carry on cycling just take it easy over the last week no pushing yourself and im sure your be fine.

• weather.co.uk seems to be reasonably accurate (although of course, there are no certainties more than a few days out).  The 10 day forecast has just appeared.  It predicts a dry cool sunny day. South-westerly breeze above 10mph, which would be notable.  4 degrees the previous night, so won't be too much warmer a couple of hours after sunrise.

On balance, that wouldn't be a bad set of conditions.  Well... that's the prediction, so let's see how things develop under the next week or so.

• Not run since a grade 1 calf pull last Friday. Went for a sports massage yesterday and should be doing a bit of cycling this weekend with plenty of heat and stretches. Hopefully I'll be up for a couple of short runs of 2 to 3 miles by early next week and lined up on the start line a week on Sunday. This was my first experience of a sports massage and it's quite a panful experience especially with a tender calf.

• Fingers crossed hey RW

Thats bad news southport, i hope you manage to recover in time for the race!!

• Hi southport are you doing the series if its realy bad you can always drop down to the half and then have 3weeks to recover to do the Preston ten. I think you can change up until monday so have a good think over the weekend all the best see you in just over a week.