Edinburgh Marathon

Hi All

I am running in the 2013 Edinburgh Marathon and this will be my first one.

What am I to expect? Is it good?

Kind Regards

Gary

Ps Anyone else running this as there first Marathon?

Comments

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

It's fab.  I did it this year and loved it.  The first 5 miles are gently down-hill so don't get too carreid away with your pacing.  Genreally good crowd support in most places and apart from the gentle down-hill at the start it's pancake flat.  Hope you're training goes well.  

• Thanks Mitiog, well done for completing it.

How many ruuners are there?

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

Last year there were around 12,500 entrants so it's small comapred to London but there are other events on over the weekend too.  See http://www.downloads.edinburgh-marathon.com/Marketing/EMF2012MediaPack.pdf for some info on last year's race.

• Mitiog

Thankyou very much .

I'm so lookig forward to it.

Kind Regards

Gary

• Hi Gary,

I'm running it in as my first marathon too. Failed to get through the London ballot and it's local so I thought I'd go for it.

What time are you hoping for?

As you'll see if you trawl through these forums, organisation has proved a problem in the past: water got pinched one year, finishing area chaos the next - but sounds like they learned lessons this year. And of course there's pros and cons to any race.

The biggest dissapointment for me is that pretty much the first thing you do is run out of Edinburgh, but as mitiog says this results in it being a lot flatter than it otherwise would be.

See you at the finish line!

• Hi Cormorant

I also got the dreaded magazine through my door.This will be my first marathon and the time is not really important, but I would love to do it in less than 5 hrs.

Like Stockholm has said, If i train hard then my time should be around 4:10ish.

As for the route I think it looks nice,and I really like the thought that it is downhill for the first 6 miles.

I'm going to stay for the weekend fri,sat,sun and have seen some nice hotels not far from the start.

Yes,see you at the finish line.I will be the one on the stretcher.lol
  • Im doing this as my first marathon too!

DOnt take too long booking your accomodation if you need it!

• Avit

So have you started the base training yet?

I am going to book this weekend.
  • Gary,

Edinburgh is a great place to spend a weekend so I'm sure you'll have a good time even without the marathon.

I'm hoping for around 4 hours, but anything over 13 miles is unknown territory at the moment so who knows.

Don't hog the stretcher, I might need it too  - but hopefully neither of us will need it before the end!

• Hey hey hey!!

Edinburgh this year was my first and it was TOTALLY amazing!! Stupidly hot! support was brilliant, and the medal...well... looked like a willy!!

I have just completed my second marathon of the year, and my advice would be carry a hydration belt!! saves on the worry should a water station dry up!! also get in plenty of long (20-23 miles) runs ahead of the race.

Stay for the weekend, enjoy the lovely city, nice italian the night before, Brilliant!!

• Gary Annett wrote (see)
    Avit

So have you started the base training yet?
    I am going to book this weekend.

Yeah i started back at the beginning of september/ end of august from scratch as I have transitioned to midfoot running having previously been a heelstriker. got up to 4x 3.5 runs a week so not long before I start a extended marathon plan. Going to start it beginning of Dec to factor in possible injury time and hopefully run a couple more 20 mile runs than stated in the marathon plans. Im basing my running on a Hal Higdon Novice 1/2 plan and will be running in my beloved Luna Sandals image

Not sure wether I should carry my hydration belt on the day as I roughly need about 1.2l of water an hour to stay hydrated as I sweat like a beast!?

• Thanks for the advice green tig.

Will have to invest in a belt. I have a North Face one which has two small bottles and also a place for Gels but don't know if that will be good enough.

And well done for completing it already (Jealous lol).

I hope the weather is nice, but like my time it will be hard to predict.

Avit

I have just received a Great running plan from the Famous Shades, who Is a legend among the forums I do believe.(Thanks Shades).

Going to kick start mine around the same time, however I am currently doing 25 miles or so a week just for a bit of weight loss.

Really looking forward to it, And I hope all of us on this forum can keep communicating on how we are doing from now until the big day.
  • im hoping this will be my first full as 4 rejection from london and desperate to do the full distance for my son autism group. Iv done robin hood half on 30th sept and doing london kilomarathon on 28th oct then i will enter edingbrough. Im hoping on under 5 hours to.

• Yes Im really looking forward to it too. I hope Im ready for edinburgh but I feel a little rushed. Hopefully I wont get any injuries for my first one. Fingers crossed.

• I'm going download a training plan . Put up in my room so my partner can force me out of bed on cold mornings.
  • Where is the best place to get accomodation, is Edinburgh city centre too far out from the end of the marathon?

• Really got to start getting motivated one think's.

I'm looking at stopping in central Edinburgh at the Novohotel which is not far from Princes street and the start line.

The cost is ??480 inclusive of breakfast woop woop.

But that is for 2 adults and 2 children.
  • My partner says we staying on the out skirts as well expensive staying in especially as U as a runner will not get breakfast before the race
  • it might not suit everyone but ive booked the premier inn in the city centre just a few mins walk from the start line, i like them because they have a king size bed as standard and ill want a good nights sleep! and their cheap

• sorry i dont know how much it would be for a famly room, but you can go on their site for a quote. plus side with this hotel too is you can walk to the start line and its close to plenty of places to eat out if you dont fancy their food. parking it the only issue, but then its only a few mins from the train station!

• Lisa, I've stayed in the Brae Guest House just near Meadowbank stadium prior to half / full marathons in Edinburgh - quiet, friendly, and they have a family room, according to their website: www.braeguesthouse.com

Tariff might work out the same as a Premier Inn for a family, but it was suitable for a couple compared to the other B&B prices in the city centre.

• The Novohotel is good, look's nice and a few minutes to the start line.

The cost is ??480 but I'm going up on the friday and staying untill monday.

I'm going to absolutley milk it...lol

Has anyone bought the T-shirts or hoodies on sale?There not cheap are they.

plus do we get one for finishing anyway?
  • Wooo hooo, I'm in along with 15 friends, we r gonna make a weekend of it too! Just got to get myself a good training plan and let's see if I can finally crack the 3.50 !
  • I'm running Edinburgh Marathon this year, and it's also my first one! Scary stuff! Especially as I've slowed my training right down this year and have only run 10k races. Oops! Bet get moving and sort out a proper training plan for my fridge image I'm going to have a look at the 'ultimate' training plans on here and Hal Higdon. Any other recommendations?

• I have used the hal higdon ones for my previous 3 marathons and they seem to suit me. Lots of different ones from novice to advanced to choose from. Happy running!!
  • You get a tech tee with your medal at the finish. And yes, the medals this year DID look like willies. Especially from the reverse side. Big LOL!

The run along the coast is beautiful and the beach at Gullane looks gorgeous. I wanted to go paddling in it! Waist pack with water bottle would be a good idea - drink the water on offer at the water stations and refill your bottles too if necessary. Edinburgh is usually cold in May but for whatever reason the marathon day has been scorching hot for something like 4 years out of the last 5.

12,500 runners was for the whole event - the half marathon, 10K  and kids runs too. I think there were about 5,000 runners doing the full marathon.

Edinburgh city centre is very expensive to stay in but there are some cheap hostels which have a very good reputation if you don't mind dorm type sleeping. Some of them do have private rooms as well. Also there are the usual Welcome Inn type chain hotels on the outskirts that are £29-ish per room. You don't need to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

• This is my first marathon too..should have done it last year but due to illness had to sell my number...anyway looking forward now and any tips on training..blisters (not) will be all taken into consideration thanx ..be happy & safe running to all who read this.

• Rose... Sorry you missed the race last year, its awful when you have trained hard for something and then have to pull out, good luck with your training this year. I always rub my feet in vaseline before any long run and have never had a blister since!! I am gently getting back into training after the liverpool marathon and acnt wait for edinburgh!
  • I'm doing Edinburgh too. This will be my first marathon & I'm a little scared! It's going to be one hell of a journey up as I live in Dorset. Based on my half marathon times I'm looking at 5hrs 11mins but I would dearly like under that. I'll be the last one over the line if only 5000 people are taking part. Lol