2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hope so because my 10k is next Sunday.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- second while not in shape sounds mighty impressive to me! Well done!!image

Tek- well done on the last LR. Enjoy the joys of the taper nowimage

16.02 for me today in 2.11.55 (8.14 av).  Easy pace, but not effortimageimage Actually managed to dip under 8min miling in the last 2mimage- hamstrings still stiff, but getting better. Not about speed today anyway- just a reminder to my legs that they need to keep their endurance for a couple more weeksimage. Taper 2 time nowimage

• Fiona - Well done. Bodes well for you when you do get in PB shape!image

AGF - Good total for week.

Jason - Good running as always

Tek - Nope, I have absolutely no idea what my max HR is. I just like looking at numbers!image So, yeah, the numbers from today are totally meaningless, they just looked strangely high. Although I may have a pretty high max HR. Might also be inaccurate as I'm a bit of a fat pie...

• Fiona - Excellent result! Impressive when not in shape as you say.imageimage

Tek - enjoy the taper and the madness!! image

YC - Great running from you and your OH. Hopefully she'll love it as much as the rest of us.

AGF - Glad your on the mend.

SM - Impressive hill walking! Wishing I had gone on my normal Hill walking hols in the summer.......really missed it.image

Jason- Impressive........enjoy the taper.

HM - Hope the 2.45 miles helped cure the aches.

A very cold, breezy and wet 7 miles for me tonight. Some of it on trail - mud and very water logged. Not too bad a run, average pace 8.18mm. Happy with that and I felt a lot better than on Friday so hopefully the road to recovery is nearly complete!image

• Well done everyone, some great running going on in here image

Well today was the day i completed my first marathon in 5:27, a little over the time i wanted but with not running properly for 4 weeks i happy that i finished image

Was very tough managed not to stop until the 16mile mark, even ran all the way through the tunnel but that got the better of me and had to start run walking until mile 24 then from somewhere (maybe the downhill of Parliment street) i started running again and even managed a sprint finish (think the energy for that came from seeing my kids cheering me on at the last bend) image x
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Kez- Well done!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on completing your first marathon- enjoy the moment and savour the achievement!!!!!!! imageimageimageimage
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Kaz,

Well done.  Unfortunately not because it created more aches.

Kez,

Well done.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Well done KEZ !!!!!!! Great first marathonimageimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Fantastic run kez, well done!!imageimage

Great to hear you are recovering kaz.

Nice easy run jason. Taper time - again! image 

Tek my HR just seems to go high and stay there! I think I'm another one that operates on a high HR SM even though resting HR in the high 40's.

Thanks guys; HM4 it probably will be a 4th for the third time! imageimage There is another 10k at the end of the month but I may be busy so next one may not be until 10th November. Considering a half as a training run on 4th November and one on 18th. image Getting used to this racing mularky now! image

F

• RMK- Well done! imageimageimage
    Congratulations on completing your first marathon

Fiona_C - good running

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Kez - congrats! what's next then?!

Fiona - Imressive stuff, well done.

• RMK. Congratulations. YOu are now a "marathoner" image

Kaz - nice to hear you coming back nicely. Good to see your recovery.

Tek/Jason, Nice long runs !!

A nice 8 miles for me thsi morning. best in terms of feel and time since returning to running. Very enjoyable despite the drizzle !!!  9:15mm @66% Max

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kaz - nice pace !!

AGF - very nice low HR stats

---

Rest day for me...plus my 10k result got an official 43.59...not sure how I took 5 seconds to press "stop" but hey I'm not arguingimage

/members/images/681851/Gallery/DSC_6835.JPG

• TekNik Nice picture - looking very cool and relaxedimage

• I agree - cracking photo....and a sub 44 image     

• Kez-Well done on your first marathon,enjoy the buzz.

Tek.Looking cool as a cucumber in that pic fella

• Tek: great photo, just out of interest what is that water behind you???

Only intersted because did a bit of fishing in my past.

• Tek: what is that photo in your back ground???

Great photo, only intrestred because I did a bit of fishing in my past.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi Solent...it's the North Sea, by Harwich in Esseximage

• Tek -  congrats on an excellent PB!! Nice photo too.

A calm, cold night here and just in from 7.31 hilly miles. The first  time I have ran with someone since March. Really enjoyed it, although the conversation was a bit one sided..........maybe I should have just shut-up!!image

• Tek - Nice pic, looking nice and relaxed! Obviously not trying hard enoughimage

Kaz - Good run

-----

3.65 very easy for me tonight. Looking at how high my HR gets running slowly (ave pace of HM+4.00) my max HR must be spectacularly high.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Great picture.

-------

Well done guys.  Good news less achey in the legs however knees a bit troublesome.  Hopefully will get out for a run on Thursday however have a flu jab at 10.45 so that's going to muck up the day.  I thought booking it that time I'd be able to get out for a run first thing but with it being a day off and having a lot of early starts this week

• Great running from all...

Tek - nice photo!

Kez - good effort, especially a sprint finish in your first marathon image

Fiona - brilliant 10k splits... 2nd FV overall is some effort. Well done! image

Studland Stampede on Sunday was brilliant as usual. Superb weather for the event, so weather gods were smiling the same as last year. A field of 400 runners assembled on Knoll Beach in the warm autumn sunshine to be greeted by the announcement that the "course is wet so don't come home clean". Wet it certainly was. First couple of 100m along the beach were a good warm up, breaking in to the dunes and moorland inland led to (very) wet and (very) muddy conditions. Several runners went over in deep puddles in front of me making my choice of Inov8 Roclites a good one as I didn't suffer from any footing problems image Despite the wetter conditions the soft, sandy bridleway from 8-9km was as tough as ever. Breaking on to the beach for the final 3km we were greeted by some random nudist (a bloke, although I didn't pay *that* much attention) running alongside us for a few metres to the amusement of all around. Much harder final few km than usual as the high tide had deposited large banks of seaweed meaning there was no harder sand at the waters edge to run on, so it was soft, drier beach sand all the way! Broke past a couple of runners towards the line to come home in 56::47, 34th place out of 400 finishers and 8th VM 40-49. A mixture of sand and mud covered legs, wet feet and tired legs. A quality race and definitely one to do again.

Finished with a latte and danish pastry in the National Trust cafe overlooking the bay, followed up with a lovely Sunday roast at the Smugglers Arms in Osmington Mills (highly recommended). Kara (my daughter) and I did a bit of rock scrambling around the headland afterwards and saw some Dolphins in the bay as well image

Definitely back next year for another go! image

• JayC.... Sounds like a brilliant Sunday all round image
  • JCM that sounds like a fun race and good running.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jay,

Well done & great report.

• macemace ✭✭✭

AGF - good to "see" you getting back into ( and enjoying) it image

Fiona - super run, enjoy the prizes image

Kez - First Mara, wonderful achievement imageimage

jayc - Studland Stampede, what a cracker of a name image sounds like fun, well done.

Tek - smashing it up mate, awesome pb !!! The writing is well and truly on the wall, go for it, well looking forward to your Mara. image

jason - double taper image  ... are you looking to improve your recent pb ??

Well my niggling achilles cleared up and as if by magic i ended up with a stinking head cold for most of last week as a replacement image. Managed to drag myself through 30M including a 10 on Sunday. Then 5.30 this morning did 8M @ 70%max @ 9:16 ... first run i've actually enjoyed since 30th Sept Folkestone Half. 

Plan now is to HADD myself up to xmas and hopefully build to 50M weeks, then on to a P&D schedule for Brighton ... not decided which one yet though image

No Marathons planned for the rest of 2012 but i'll hang around if it's all the same with you lot image

• Mace - we have similar plans for next year. I to am doing brighton and plan more hadd followed by P&D  image