Bored of being a plodder!

Hi all,

I am your bog standerd 3 stone overweight 11m/m/ 12 m/m plodder and I'm bored of it. I'd really like to get to a 10 m/m but the only time I have achieved this is from training for a marathon but even then I could only keep up 10 m/m for 10 miles hit 20 miles on the 4 hours mark and then the wheels horribly fell off and ended up finishing 5:47. I mention the weight thing becuase it's obviously important to what I can achieve losing weight is difficult for me so I don't want to put my running on hold till I achieve that but would like to move forward. I've just done a half marathon in 2:35 again I held up a 11 m/m till about 8 miles and then the wheels fell of again!... I would like to achieve a sub 60 10K in 6 weeks time?  I totally admit to being a training bore as well all I do is run the one speed and hope for the best but the speed work on here seems a bit out of reach for me I really struggle once I go over my comfortable speed of 11 m/m it's very frustrating. Can anyone offer some training advice for my ability and speed? I run 4 times a week usually 4, 5, 4 and a long one on the weekend of 6-10 miles.

Comments

• I'm far from being any expert, but I would suggest making your first 4 mile run a tempo (which I know means different things to different people) run; where you add some speed to it; you know like fartlek training, and your second 4 mile run into a hill session (which I've read is speed training in disguise).

To run faster, you have to run faster.  Do your fast runs fast and long slow runs slow.

Maybe this will help with pace (do you use a GPS watch?):

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly, but I kinda suffer with the same thing as yourself.  I'm a plodder - for last weekends long run I plodded 19 miles of hilly, muddy, cross country and loved it.  But I don't like the short sharp fast stuff; but that's important too if I want to get faster.

• You really have answered your own question twice, lose the weight. Or at least some of it.

I know you say that you find it hard, I have in the past too, I guess your mind has to be in the right place to really want it. The thing stopping me from losing weight was simple gluttony.

In 8 weeks of 2000 kcals a day i've lost 1st 4lbs and and lowered my lsr pace by 1:30 m/m, whilst upping the distance week on week too. Did 18 miles on sunday one and half minutes a mile quicker than 8 miles, 8 weeks ago. Some of it is consistant training, but a lot is weight loss and training at a lower weight. It's SOOOO much easier running lighter, I still have at least a stone to go, but even now running just feels so much easier.

It's a positive circle. Running at a lower weight, makes you faster without trying, because you're training faster you're getting more aerobic benefit from it, which makes you run faster, which means you can train faster.. etc..

Runnning heavy you're always trying to overcome the weight first before you get anywhere. I've often thought i'd like to see some of the 10st, 3hr marathon, male runners run a marathon with 4 stone on their back and see if they still think GFA is easy! image 

• Natalie, use Myfitness pal. to track calories and rewards ( running that allows more calories). Stick to it. Hard work pays off.  Take some CLA supplements too. 

I was quite a bit overwight and could only manage one speed... as the weight came off the speed started to vary more and more. 

Good luck

• OMG!

You don't need suplliments to lose weight, you need to eat less callories than you use! Simple.

And don't give yourself extra because you've been running, that only applies when you're at a target weight. If you un 35 miles per week and expend roughly 100 kcals per mile and don't change your food intake at all, you can only expect o lose 1lb a week. If you run 35 miles a week, think you're being really good with your diet, but you're running so you need to eat a bit more, chances are you will gain weight!

• have you joined parkrun?

if not see if there is one near you? http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events

you may find it helps you get faster as its only 5k, plus there will be lots of advice you may pick up if you get talking to some of the other runners and making friends. image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    lardarse wrote (see)

Runnning heavy you're always trying to overcome the weight first before you get anywhere. I've often thought i'd like to see some of the 10st, 3hr marathon, male runners run a marathon with 4 stone on their back and see if they still think GFA is easy! image 

It's Good For Age and not Good For Weight image

As LA says though, dropping the extra weight will mean you find more speed. That would be my main focus in this situation and maybe bring in one of your shorter runs in the week to be a tempo run at a faster pace than you are used to running but can maintain throughout. As you will be running faster then include a warm up period so you don't set off straight into a fast run.

Once you are able to play around with different speeds start to include intervals and such like into your training as well.

• Yes I kinda know deep down thats the answer its funny I'm dedicated to go out and train 4 times a week but food is my nemisis... I'm really struggling to stick to a diet that works (i.e eat what you want and still lose weight! lol ) and you are right I am just greedy too many treats and wine mostly. uuurrgghhh

But any suggestions of speed work that works... as a rule if I just do speedwork I try and do 2 mins at 9m/m and then I have to walk for 90 secs on and off will this work or am I wasting my time? I don't do it consistantly now but if I did...

• Natalie, I was running for several years relying on training more to maintain or lose weight, your body does change composition just by running more but eating the same, and you will get faster, but off 8 weeks training at a lower weight i've achieved what probably would've taken 6 months at a higher weight. And i'm only running two thirds the mileage of what I what I used to. But then I used to eat at least 4000 kcals a day. Crazy.

Lose some weight, do a half marathon plan (enough miles without killing your self), and you'll get faster. 

WiB wrote (see)
    It's Good For Age and not Good For Weight image

Yeah I know, but it illustrates the point both for low weight runners who can't understand why a heavier runner can't make GFA, and for a heavier runner who can't imagine they could reach GFA. image

• I sympathise. It is tough but as nearly all the good people on here allude to, and it makes sense to me, the less excess weight you have then you are carrying less around with you when you run. I'm a Wine Merchant and of course I absolutely love wine. White is actually slightly better for you than Red in terms of calories although there are some health benefits in Reds that Whites don't have. It's hard to abstain completely but cutting down helps a lot. I find a clear goal really helps. For example my first ever goal was to be able to run 10k without stopping and when I did that I set a new one - 10k under an hr - etc etc. Pin it up in words on your fridge. You know what to do. Good luck to you.

• I was once one of those 10 stone weaklings that thought sub 3 hour marathons were easy (they were then) But then I stopped 10 years or so on I was 3 stone overweight and the Dr poked me in the ribs and said lose it fatty.  I started running again and guess what it was hard, even now having shifted some of the weight although I am faster than I was 20 months ago when I restarted the journey I am no nearer the pace from the old days - Losing the weight isn't easy - but cutting out chocolate and cheese did help and I although I have a bit to go yet (I know this as one of my old training partners poked me in the belly and said - yes you have guessed it hello fatty!!) Am determined to shift the other stone and half in the next 12 months.

Good luck

• lardarse wrote (see)

OMG!

You don't need suplliments to lose weight, you need to eat less callories than you use! Simple.

And don't give yourself extra because you've been running, that only applies when you're at a target weight. If you un 35 miles per week and expend roughly 100 kcals per mile and don't change your food intake at all, you can only expect o lose 1lb a week. If you run 35 miles a week, think you're being really good with your diet, but you're running so you need to eat a bit more, chances are you will gain weight!

In MFP you give all your details and say how much you want to lose per week. This sets you a calorie diet. You say how much you run each day and the limit goes up....but if you stick to the guidlines then you lose what it says you will lose.... I have lost 3 stone this way.

So there is more than one way to skin a cat..... or lose a belly !!