Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Some excellent advice on pre-race carbs etc most of which is very sensible. I'd especially endorse AC's comments though if it's your first long race - don't do anything wildly different to what you normally do - up the carb intake a bit over the last three days and don't start eating anything 'special' that you haven't tried before, It's easy to overdo it and end up running feeling bloated. I did read somewhere recently that the Kenyans tend to lose weight in the last week leading up to a marathon........

Have been going through the usual process of psyching myself out of it in the last week or so, even though there's no real reason to - seems like others are doing the same thing! Went out and ran a 12 miler this morning at only just slower than MP - silly me. Hopefully not taken too much out of myself - really must make myself rest and relax for the next 7 days... Nothing further than 5 miles and down to 2 or 3 for the last couple of days

A question for some of the experienced Abo runners - are there mile markers all of the way round and if so are they pretty accurately positioned ? There's nothing worse than wrongly positioned mile markers !

• Thanks for all the carbo loading advice! Getting very nervous but also excited to think that this time next week will be sitting / lying down with a large glass of dry white and whatever happens it will be over!

Great results Chillies and MG! I think the only way I might see you next Sunday is if you lap me!!
  • That was the most stressful thing I have EVER seen

• Well done the racers this weekend. It was a lovely day for a run and I would have liked to enjoyed along tun today but the plan said 12 so that is what I stuck to. Did one at MP and felt ok. Three more runs for me all pretty easy.

Dart More - I have done Abo 5 times and can't remember there be any problems with the mile markers so I thing they are ok. Also they have a clock at half-way which is nice. It is along a but of trail through the woods but the ground is nice and flat and easy to run along.

• Right time for a list for those who want to look out for each other! In the past I have ended up spotting other forumites mid-run and it is nice to have a quick chat (depending on how you feel!)

Number   Name                  Wearing                                 Target
    844          TickTock              Orange vest/grey shorts              2:57

2:50ish

Black Adidas vest shorts, black calf guards

Pre race (I'll be knocking around a while at the start please come and say hello) grey north Wales roadrunners hoody or if its raining black and white north Wales roadrunners coat
  • Number   Name                  Wearing                                 Target
    844          TickTock              Orange vest/grey shorts               2:57
    187           MG15                  Black vest,shorts and socks        2:50

• Can someone add me to the slow end of the list please.

810 white & blue caerleon running club vest, black shorts, target 3:58

thanks Jo.

• I'm hoping for 3.58 too but think this could be a bit ambitious for a first marathon!

No 107, yellow stragglers running club vest over white t.
  • My Number is 389, Im Ecky and will be wearing a vest with C.R.A.C (Cake runners ac) and I want to finish before they all go home image

Postie                 Navy vest, blue/grey shorts          3:00

• 141 - red/black vest, black/green shorts, eyebags like Droopy the cartoon dog, short dark hair that inexplicably refuses to go properly grey or fall out - I ought to get round under 3:30, but I'm far from confident this time. I respond to Chillies or Guy

Postie, or Tick Tock, very happy for you to tab out the list

???          Postie                 Navy vest, blue/grey shorts           3:00
    141          Chillies FB           Red/Black vest                           3:30
    810          Joe Peacook        white & blue caerleon vest            3:58
    107          SR3                     yellow stragglers vest                  3:58
    389         EckyThump           CRAC vest                                 ??

• i think the above is the latest list but sorry if I have missed anyone off by accident or populated with dodgy data

141          Chillies FB           Red/Black vest                           3:30
    107          SR3                     yellow stragglers vest                  3:58
    294         WarrenK78           Black vest yellow/red hoops       2:59

Great running on the weekend MG15 and CFB. I did Henley in 2008 as my first race after a 5 year break from running. That hill was a stinker!

Last meaningful run of 11 miles yesterday with a few MP miles thrown in. Still unsure of estimated time so I'll be on the conservative side and say 2:59

• Am also hoping to dip just under sub 4 but will never remember what you are wearing, numbers, names etc so I will remain incognito.  image

It will be my 13th mara this year so I hope that is not unlucky - second Abo - last did it in 2010. Am pretty shagged out and will try my hardest to get a sub 4 but as long as I beat my 2010 time of 4.05 I'll be pretty happy. Lots of speedies on here - but then Abo is a speedy run and I have NO idea why on earth I entered it !!

I'd forgotten about the turkeys..........and the horrid small slope up out of the sub way at mile 23/24ish. Knackering it was for such a small slope !! image

Warren - aren't you on the Comrades thread ?? If so...SNAP !! image

• Martin - fantastic 10K, all you need to do now is to take it easy before Abo.

6 miles easy for me Tues, then 4 miles easy Weds, and 5 miles Thurs (with 50m strides). May knock out a couple of easy miles on Saturday, just to keep myself loose. 

Number   Name                  Wearing                                 Target
    294         WarrenK78           Black vest yellow/red hoops       2:59                            359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts  3.20

• Tick Tock - thanks for pulling the list together and I'm reassured that you also did a 12 miler at MP - tells me I perhaps wasn't too irresponsible

MG - you're on fire ! Doesn't feel like I should have the same target as you - worrying !

5 miles for me tonight, 4 tomorrow and Weds (with a few strides thrown in tomorrow), 3 Thursday, Rest Friday and 2 Saturday

Number   Name                  Wearing                                 Target
    294         WarrenK78           Black vest yellow/red hoops       2:59                            359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts  3.20

994        Dart More             White/purple/blue Erme Valley vest  2.50

• Would anyone be driving to Abingdon from Reading ???

I would be happy to share petrol money for a lift if so,

Last time I did this race I got a train to Didcot then taxi, but now the first train to Didcot gets in 0846!!

(I wouldnt need a lift back)

• Dart more I bet I'm worrying as much as you lol

Forecast is getting better every time I look so I'm not going to look againimage
  • CafCaf ✭✭

Hi All

Just in case anyone's looking for nice, easy-print course map, there is one on the website but it's not in a very obvious place - look under the "Archive" tab and select "Past results", then click on the "course" icon for 2012.

Good luck for Sunday

• Caf - That's really useful, thanks

• Yes. Where are people planning on sending their spectators? Apparently there's a pub by 5 miles or something. I'm hoping o have them dish out bottles of water as I pass a couple of times
  • O.K.....I'm going to join in.

Number 306 - no idea what I'll be wearing as it will be weather dependant and I am rubbish at planning what to wear for anything let alone running. Might have an orange cap on or a black beanie with plaits.....my own plaits and not some crazy stick on ones. image

Will say I am going for 3.59.....yeah....will give that a go.  image

• Rob Phillips - I don't know what the early trains are like from Reading to Waterloo, but if it fits I can make a small detour and pick you up outside Bracknell Station before 7:30

• Rob Phillips - either that, or I will be driving down the M4 past Junction 11 - I can pull off there and pick you up?

• Morning

As Im the only one without a time,I am going to say 4.30 as I would love to get well under the 5h. It may just be wishful thinking but I should have something to aim for.image

I did say I was a slow one.

• Chillies - That would be great,  I can certainly get to M4 Junction 11 as early as you like -

Im not quite sure of the layout of junction 11 but I can investigate and suggest a meeting point (unless you already know of something suitable)

• I dont know if anyone would be interested in my blog but I will be writing about Abo next week and would love some of you to be in it. Its just my ramblings of my running and a bit about my reasons. I wont be offended if you dont want to.image Oh and I am not a crazy stalker or anything image

http://yorkshirepuddingnearly40.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Ecky - just jhad a quick looksee at your blog as I sit here at work having first coffee of the day. It has me hooked and i will read some more later. Just wanted to say well done you on what you have done and why you started to do it. Impressive stuff.

Good luck on Sunday and I will try to get my pea brain into gear to try and spot you. image