Options

Slow start

Hey everyone,

Completed my first half marathon yesterday in 2 hours and 8 minutes. Quite happy with the time as my training in the last few weeks leading up to the half was hampered for various reasons.

A lot of thoughts running through my head during the half but one thing that came to mind was that I really struggled in the first 2 to 3 miles and then I seem to hit my stride and feel comfortable (until mile 10 and the last 3 miles felt like torture).

I had the same problem in training and I was hoping that someone could give me advice on how I can feel comfortable from the start of the run so I can run quicker and further more often.

Comments

• Options

It's called warming up. Getting the heart rate up and getting the muscles warm.

Try a little brisk walking or an easy jog then do some dynamic stretches or similar and some strides.

(Strides - you want to replicate the pace that you are going to be running at - focus on form, stride length, shoulders relaxed, etc - appropriate to pace).

• Options

Agree, probably lack of warm up, and also nerves if you've been training for it for a long time. It's not uncommon to screw up pacing early on - either because you're so excited/nervous you totally overcook it and go out like a rabbit on speed, or because you're telling yourself to take it steady because there's still a long way to go and you've had problems in the build up blah blah blag, and take it rather too steady. Do a warm up, and also consider using a watch - fancy or not - to pace you through that first 3 miles using the mile markets, after which you should have settled into a good pace.

• Options

I've been having the same problem recently, my legs just feel really weak for the first 15 minutes of my runs. I'm running through it now but I just used to go home. I do think lack of stretching it the problem.

• Options

i also take 10-15 mins or so to warm up, and it feels tough going until I am. Partly why longer runs after often more enjoyable for me.