Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

•  Just entered Helsby 1389, so about 600 places left ! Compo's started the Chester thread again all ready. Checked out Cheshire Oaks track last night as i'm going to do my speed sessions on there from next week, only live 300 metres away so thats sorted happy days.

• Ashman, that couldn't really be more ideal (300m away) no excuse now though image
  • Manchester and Edinburgh booked, yikes!!  Just hope the weather holds this time for Manchester!!!

• Toni - 2 in 4 weeks very impressive
  • Hi Bearsted 

Hope you are well.

Just hope I can do it!!  Manchester was my 1st, 4hr 35, should have been 4 I blame the weather!!, Chester should have been my 2nd, but got chest infection.  

I need to set myself challenges so I have something to aim for - I only started all this after loosing my mum last Christmas, it keeps me going and keeps me sane!!! And I know she would be proud.

Noot sure what charities though this time, lastt time was for my mum, Chester was supposed to be for me (no not a charity), thinking asthma....

xx

• Toni brilliant and totally agree with weather at Manchester as I was on for 3:45 but weather got to me at 21 miles and I ended up 3:52 and hurting. Better course this year so your sub 4 should be on. Did Edinburgh 2010 and 2011 and now they sorted out finish the rest of the course was brilliant and quick so again you have a great chance there as well. Great thing on the charities front - I did for charities for 3 years ( same one Roy Castle Lung Cancer - after my wife had to have a lung removed and she had never smoked) I decided to stop for a few years as I found it hard going back to same people every year will go back to it in a few years. Sorry to hear about your mother and she will definitely be proud of you.
  • Thank you xx

Blimey - hope your wife is ok now.  I gave up smoking in Jan this year - best thing I ever did!!

Bit like my mum really, she never smoked, never touched a drop of alcohol yet she suffered for years,ended up paralysed (she'd had 2 strokes, cancer 5 times, parkinsons....- died of pneumonia!!  Pain I went through at Manchester was all worth it as it was nothing near the pain she went through over the years.

Having a couple of weeks off now!!!

xx

• Toni Oxby and Bearsted Plodder cheers for that. Keeps things in perspective. Not much annoys me. But allot of people moan about trivial little crappy issues which aren't exactly a hardship.
  • Hi andy, I agree!!

Loosing my mum put my whole life into perspective. I quit my job as so I could be there for my children, I've started driving again after 8 years, quit smoking, ran a marathon, and will hopefully be setting up my own business soon - these my mum wished I could do, and I did.

Xx
  • Toni Oxby Thats great that your hoping to set up your own business and quit smoking aswell, but I have to say the biggest/greatest thing you done by a country mile is quit your job to support your kids. It may not seem good financially but one day you'll be glad you took the time to put all the effort in to your kids, they are what really matters happyness not how much is in the bank. as a child I went without a lot of things other kids had (material wise) because one parent didn't work for 20years but as a result of that I had THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of hours of quality time with my mother which none of my school mates had so I'm happy I went without all the pointless stuff other kids had. your kids will be immenselly greatfull one day.
  • Toni - Yes my wife is fine now 7 years on - amazing thing the body her left expanded in size to try and take up some of the work left by the right lung not being there. Has pushed the heart over to the space left by the missing lung and she has about 75% the lung capacity she had with 2 lungs. It means she cannot do the high intensity keep fit classes she used to do but she does does less intensity and walks alot infact she did a 26 mile marathon walk across the Cheviots in Northumberland last year for charity with all the climbs that involved.

• Andy the Deestrider

No excuse now mate!!

Going to take your advice starting next week, warm up then 4 to 5 mile reps, cool down.

Will built it up slowly as i know how easy it is to get injured. The head says do more do more!!! but don't want to over do it.

• That's amazing and an inspiration! Xx
  • Ye the thing I found with intervals is exactly what you said, "head says do more" when really if you do say 3x1mile in 6:05 with 1.5min rests but 3x1mile in 5:55 with 1.5 min rests leave your legs wasted then your better off doing them in 6:05. (thats just an example with them numbers) you get the idea though that 90% effort can be better than flat out sometimes. Also I wouldn't hammer it first time because you need to enjoy it aswell.

A good example of this is the book Running with the kenyans- Adharranand Finn I learned how to train properly after reading this book.
  • Bearsted Plodder forgot to add that you comment at 07:46 yesterday was great. storys like that are allways good for motivation if people think there struggling.

• Book ordered Andy thanks mate!!!

• Maidstone 1/2 today nice crisp morning

• Bearsted Plodder

Good luck ...  lets us know how you get on ?

• Used it as a training run for Luton Marathon and ran with mate who is running Luton with me. Nice and easy 1:47 on hilly course.

• Still a good run mate .. What are you looking for in the marathon???

• Another sub 4 hopefully 3:50 but may well run with my mate and I think he is looking at 3:59 so not sure. My PB for 1/2 is 1:38 but that was on pancake flat course

• Just downloaded my Garmin and even happier. The whole thing about today was to get a good steady run in. The last 3 miles were at 7:35 pace so if I got that in me at 10 miles I am really happy
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Just completed Third marathon in Chester. Didn't get in London so entered Manchester my home town (now living in Leeds). Didn't have a great run in Chester, as I had a bit of a bug but still managed 4:24. Did first marathon Chester 2011 in 3:58 and VLM 2012 in 3:47. Natural target is sub 3:45 and really disappointed after all the training for Chester that I wasn't feeling up to it on the day. Ran 1658 miles this year leaving 354 left to complete 2012 in 2012. You guys sound really supportive. Best regards Andy W.
  • Andrew

I log all my miles and what i do in the gym everyday, never thought of adding them up thats a good idea will make me feel better seeing iv'e ran to Spain from the Northwest!!

I'm so lost without my Garmin should be returned in the next few days!!  been in to get fixed £51 (its a 305) they said they don't make them any more but will relace it with a new one??? 

Asked them if i can upgrade noooooo.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Ashman

I love the occasional run without my garmin, or when it's so cold it's covered up with my sleeve, I feel a lot more free, like I'm running because I want to and because I can. If that makes any sense. Having said that, I forgot it before a 5M race last year and missed a pb by a couple of seconds. Gutted.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I love my garmin 305 too! Though it does seem to encourage me to go faster. I think I'd use the ??51 towards a new 610
  • Hi guys,  I ran liverpool marathon this sunday and missed out on my goal of a sub 3.50 by 2 minutes, really cheesed off!! my legs just seemed to weigh 2 tonne each at mile 22!!  i only went up to 20 miles x 3 in training and think perhaps i need to go further to help me cope with the last 6 miles.  Thinking of entering Manchester in April to chase the sub 3.50 or perhaps edinburgh in May, anyone done both who can compare?

• Rdrunner - Yep done both. Hard to compare as weather at manchester last year spoilt it. Edinburgh was apparentlt best yet last year when I didn't do it. Both are excellent Manchester is easier to get to and a smaller field but Edinburgh is a great weekend and first 6 miles downhill