Lance folds on drug charges

Comments

• I saw a report on the BBC (I think) last night that focussed on Lance getting his drug supplies from a motorcyclist. If I didnt know better I'd have thought they had some bloke on a kawasaki nipping through the race - giving LA his hypodermics mid race and buggering off. 

• "So which is worst - blood doping, EPO or testosterone? Be interesting to see if any suffer long term effects from taking all this crap."

technically none of them are crap - they are all natural - EPO and testosterone (and HGH, another one used regulalry) are made by every human being in small quantities.  blood doping is the least natural of them.   and none of them should suffer any long term issues as levels will drop to normal once they stop.  

• Oh our friend (and Lance and Yates) motoman? It's okay he's told us the truth and Brailsford has done his due diligence no doubt.

Nothing to see here.

Azure were. 

• Couldn't Run A Bath wrote (see)

Nothing to see here.

Azure were. 

Very astute image I will get my cote.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

"So which is worst - blood doping, EPO or testosterone? Be interesting to see if any suffer long term effects from taking all this crap."

I was regularly offered Human Growth Hormone and EPO as a young rugby player trying to make the grade back in the late 90s. Friends had made the leap to national league teams and said that it was a regular part of their conditioning programme, and that I needed to juice too in order to get the right physicality. One in particular I remember going from being a skinny former basketball international to being a rippling, 19-stone monster athlete. Maybe cycling is a sport that took cheating through doping to extremes. But cheating is rife in all sport. I'm finding all the wide-mouthed, faux-innocence of the media as nauseating as I find the dopers. Cycling's moment in the wider public consciousness will fade - quite possibly as soon as tonight if England lose to Poland and Rooney foul-mouths an official. The world keeps turning.

• Good friend of mine from University was prescribed HGH as a kid. He was very short and apparently they went through a phase giving it to little kids. I remember the day he called me over to the TV and said that some people who had been given it had developed CJD (the human form of mad cow disease). I remember telling him it would never happen to him. A couple of years later he couldn't recognise any of us or communicate at all. He had the brain of a very small child at that point. Another year and he was dead. 

I wish people would stop messing with this crap. 

• sadly the CJD/HGH link came too late for many people and supplies these days come from either bioengineered versions or different screened sources.

the bigger risk comes from those taking drugs from unlicenced sources, or overuse (anabolic steroids for one).  the pro cyclists at least - if there is any crumb of comfort here - were being medically monitored and taking drugs from licenced suppliers even if illegally obtained.  

STIL  - I've seen likewise with young rugby players on sterioids who get all bulked up.  one young lad suffered badly with compartment syndrome in his legs as his shin tendons couldn't cope with his rapidly bulked up muscles and he had to have them cut so he could walk.   

• Surely the mental side effects are going to be worse, Hamilton and Pantani spring to mind as having suffered depression, Then theres the people destroyed because they didn't take drugs and those that didn't follow the Lance plan and got hounded out of the sport, both cyclists and team physios,coaches etc. I think this side is almost impossible to measure.

• I hear Danny Boyle is makng a new Trainspotting film:

/members/images/450712/Gallery/armstrong_trainspotting_pp.jpg

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Khanivore wrote (see)

Good friend of mine from University was prescribed HGH as a kid. He was very short and apparently they went through a phase giving it to little kids. I remember the day he called me over to the TV and said that some people who had been given it had developed CJD (the human form of mad cow disease). I remember telling him it would never happen to him. A couple of years later he couldn't recognise any of us or communicate at all. He had the brain of a very small child at that point. Another year and he was dead. 

I wish people would stop messing with this crap. 

I was also very small as a child, at seven years of age I was only 3' 1" tall. Someone suggested HGH. The family doctor said he has reservations about long term side effects so advised to leave alone. This was 1968. A lucky escape.

🙂

• Rafi's only 3'1" now.
    Zigged where he should of zagged.

• 3'1" and half if you don't mind!! image

• Anyone else read this:

http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/10/groundhog-day-for-cycling/

Whilst I dont, by any means, think that any pro team needs to react to every potential criticism, I think he raises a good point in the way that a lot of fans are more than willing to turn a blind eye, whilst simultaneously slagging, say, the Italians for their Steaky Boy fawning....

Meanwhile, Cav moves to OP-QS. I'm not surprised he's leaving Sky, it was clearly never going to work, but I guess I'm a bit surprised at his choice....

• I did read that. Fran Millar says that all of the Top 5 had blood samples taken after the TT though - so that should explain it ?

Maybe I'm very naive but I really do think Brad is clean.

His numbers are lower than the winners of a few years ago, and his claims of being clean sounded a lot more honest and true than the mantra that LA chanted for many years 'I've never tested positive'. 

• That's enough of an explanation for me too, actually. Similarly, I lean towards believing him, but he needs to learn a bit of patience with the questions, because I dont think it's "out of order" to ask.

• flyaway wrote (see)
    Meanwhile, Cav moves to OP-QS. I'm not surprised he's leaving Sky, it was clearly never going to work, but I guess I'm a bit surprised at his choice....

Or Omerta-Pharma Quick-Step as some wags on Twitter were calling them earlier this week!

Intereting article too.

• Gladys M. wrote (see)
    flyaway wrote (see)

Or Omerta-Pharma Quick-Step as some wags on Twitter were calling them earlier this week!

Intereting article too.

Omerta-Pharma Quick Sackimage

• flyaway wrote (see)

Look whos there, some of the old HTC crew, they have no GC contender so he gets to be the team priority.... Boonan for the 1 day classics but no real chance over a tour now oh and Levi's slot just became available.

• The UCI are going to take their time - and full allocation of 21 days - on this, arent they? I'm not saying things should be rushed, though, obviously the longer McQuaid can drag his heels, the more opportunity he has to shore up the battlements of his ivory tower. Meanwhile the foot soldiers (they're the riders in this wonderful analogy) are dropping like flies.

What we need is WADA to pull a Gandalf, in RotK, ride in brandishing a devastatingly effective weapon of change and international influence, and behead the stinking, pus-corrupted beast. Its actually far kinder than leaving it to rot in a mire of its own limitless incompetance.

• Rabobank have pulled out of the sport - absolute disaster for Dutch cycling - not sure if they've pulled out totally but if so it's also a disaster for the women as they are one of the few big sponsors that run a women's team - also do a lot of youth academy stuff.  

Millar blaming them as part of the problem - I don't think so - it's down to the riders who doped (including Millar), the doctors, the management and the UCI.  

• Well, yes and no. They are staying in amateur cycling and youth training, just pulling out of professional teams, but yes, that includes the women's team. The statement says:

"We are no longer convinced that the international professional world of cycling can make this a clean and fair sport. We are not confident that this will change for the better in the foreseeable future."

and unless there is a total change of "leadership", i'm not confident it will either.

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
    flyaway wrote (see)

Look whos there, some of the old HTC crew, they have no GC contender so he gets to be the team priority.... Boonan for the 1 day classics but no real chance over a tour now oh and Levi's slot just became available.

Yeah, but they're not exactly known as the squeakiest of clean teams, are they? Isnt Boonen a coke head? Bandiera and Keisse have def both served bans. And Steegmans wins the prize for ultimate irony when he refused to sign Katusha's anti-doping declaration...
    'Praps the roster will look very different next year though, as ideally Cav needs a bit more of a lead-out train.

• What teams are sqeaky clean though ?   I've always had Boonen down as one of those more likely to be clean than not - recreational drugs notwithstanding of course.   

• Cycling well Pro cycling looks to be imploding at the moment. Maybe by the start of the new season there will a new world order in pro cycling. I can see Mcquaid having to quit as pressure is put on him to change the mind set of the UCI from sponsors and national teams, we shall see.

One thing that hasn't been questioned yet is how clean are track cyclists then many compete in both track and road. That will be the next revelation no doubt.

• flyaway wrote (see)
    Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
    flyaway wrote (see)

Yeah, but they're not exactly known as the squeakiest of clean teams, are they? Isnt Boonen a coke head? Bandiera and Keisse have def both served bans. And Steegmans wins the prize for ultimate irony when he refused to sign Katusha's anti-doping declaration...
    'Praps the roster will look very different next year though, as ideally Cav needs a bit more of a lead-out train.

You're forgetting Aldag is DS there too - he was at HTC with Brian Holm but both admitted to systematic doping on Telekom. If you omit anyone who has a history of doping there would be nobody left to run it.

Edit: He's not DS, sorry. He's been technical adviser there.

• What sucks the most tho, is that Marianne Vos needs a new team now.
  • Lance killed Rabobank the b@stard image